It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

insane biting problem 7/w husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
npodlask
Newborn
Newborn
npodlask

biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky Empty
PostSubject: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 5:16 pm

i know its really young to get a pup but i picked up my husky last week at 6 weeks from the breeder. he was really calm and quiet the first few days and slept a lot but i suppose since being now familiar with me and his environment he is pretty rambunctious when he is awake, which is ok. i know biting inhibition is a big problem with getting them so young. it seems with being more familiar with me and his new home he has taken to biting everything he sees--especially my hands. he wont bite stranger's hands (at least until they start playing with him) but he literally thinks my hands are a toy. i try to replace a toy with things he chews on, including my hands, but he often foregoes the toy for my fingers. any suggestions on how to curb this behavior? is this just typical puppy behavior, typical husky puppy behavior?
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 5:19 pm

your hands are also salty that might be what is also grabbing his attention
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 7:15 pm

At 6 weeks, he probably missed out on a lot of bite inhibition training from his mom and siblings. Check out Huskies 101, it will give quite a bit on puppy training and bite inhibition.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm

We got kylah when she was 9 weeks and had this exact problem with Kylah. She was incredibly well behaved for a couple day's, but every day that went by, she got a little more comfortable and a little more naughty.  She would bite my hands so bad that I would cry in frustration because nothing I did made her stop and her sharp little puppy teeth hurt so bad.
After she went through her teething phase,  things got way better. She still nibbles on my hands all the time,  but not hard enough to hurt me.
I'm not sure if this is 'normal' behavior, but I knew she was never intentionally hurting me.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 9:19 pm

It is indeed perfectly normal in that they all do it, especially to one another. Huskies are particularly mouthy, in both the physical and vocal sense. If you watch them with other Huskies it is all teeth all the time. It's how they communicate, build relationships, and bond.

One trick to keep in mind is that they can't refrain from doing it, especially at the age yours is for reasons Meredith said above. You should be assertive in claiming your space and your body as yours and correct when he does it by his own initiation. But, try inviting him to mouth you and engage him with your initiation when you want. Otherwise, don't allow it. Because his motivation is engagement and social bonding, stop cold and walk away ignoring him. If you provoke him verbally or physically with corrections it will likely escalate the excitement of it all. He needs to learn right away that your body is off limits until you tell him it is not. He needs to bond with you and learn that you provide his fun and bonding and fulfill his needs , physical mouthing included.

When I figured this out with my puppy his trust and respect and overall bond with me went through the roof.

Now, your challenges with doing this now are his razor sharp puppy teeth and lack of cognitive ability. You can wear thick, baggy sweatshirts to engage him now . He'll be able to understand contexts better when he is older, but you can start now with teaching him to respect your space and your body by teaching him that YOUR initiation is green light, not HIS.

Good luck. I hope to hear more and see more of your little guy.

Definitely check put the puppy threads , there's a ton on here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 12:03 pm

What helped us with this, is that bitter apple spray. She still will nibble on us sometimes but does not bite us as hard as she used too.
Back to top Go down
npodlask
Newborn
Newborn
npodlask

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 12:23 pm

thanks for these great suggestions everyone. ive just started to turn away from him/stop playing with him when he bites me and it seems to be working
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Good job.  Just remember to keep in mind it's not a "bad" thing or a behavioral problem it is just him trying to connect with you.  There is a specific motivation behind it and you can use that to your advantage.  

It is going to be way worse during the two teething phases and you will need to keep lots of chews and toys around for him and keep your clothes and shoes off the floor and watch out for the corners of sofas, chairs, walls, etc.  He will have a driving physiological need to chew and he will be indiscriminating as to what he uses to satisfy that need.  Again, use this to your advantage and show him that through you comes fun stuff, relief, and relaxation.  

A great bonding strategy during teething is when you catch him chewing on something inappropriate quickly and assertively correct him--a quick "aahhh" or a hand clap or something to catch his attention--quickly find something appropriate move in and have him sit or down or shake...whatever just make him work...and then give him the appropriate chew toy.

This way you are taking charge and showing him that your lead and your initiation is the key for success and you will be well on your way to building trust and respect.  And in addition to the "No" you are showing him what "Yes" is and him knowing what "Yes" is is way more important than him knowing what "No" is.  Your ratio of "Yes" to "No" should be heavy on the "Yes" side.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: insane biting problem 7/w husky   biting - insane biting problem 7/w husky Empty

Back to top Go down

insane biting problem 7/w husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1