It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice, Please:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Advice, Please: Empty
PostSubject: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Mr. Archer was neutered last Wed. Is it too soon for him to rough and tumble with Ami? Should he be playing with Ami at all, given size/age disparity?

So far, nothing but friendly tussling when the 2 dogs together but so far it has been both on leash. Last night, the little guy was on a long tether and Ami was leashed - I let them play but only close enough that the could mouth each other, paw each other's head and fronts but not close enough that they got tangled. Ami would definitely put the pups head in his mouth but not so that little pup would squeal or even mildly complain. Ami is so big and the little guy is, well, the little guy - 16 weeks, maybe 25 ish pounds (guessing - I lifted him into car).

The pup likes to grab Ami's cheek fur and tug. I mean tug. He also got several mouthfuls of pantaloons that I had to haul out of his mouth/throat (he was gagging Rolling Eyes ). Ami has always played well with dogs at the dog park, once on leash, the little shrimp dog down the road got loose and was all over him, yapping aggressively and Ami just looked amused Laughing 

Am I just being overprotective gramma or do I need to be careful?

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 2:09 pm

They really are supposed to be on limited activity for a week or two at least, but they're huskies so that can be tough!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Keno got neutered last friday and was up rough housing with Kenzi that night. As long as he's not too sore and they aren't getting so rough he tears stitches open he should be fine.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 5:09 pm

thanks for responses - I think I'll try to get my courage up to let them romp - today is day 8. Mostly I'm worried that Ami is too big for the pup to play with...but with them both leashed, the pup stands on his hind legs, wraps his front legs around Ami's neck, grabs mouthfuls of hair and shakes his head like a Banshi!

I think I need to watch some of the videos on here of huskies playing - I know it involves a lot of teeth and body slamming along with occasional, accidental blood...I need to desensitize myself affraid 
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 8:44 am

In my opinion i think they would be ok to romp around. Just always keep a eye on both of them. Koda plays with my brothers min pin (about 12lbs i think) every weekend. We just keep a eye on both of them but koda is really good with him. The min pin gets a lil rough sometimes but koda usually still plays good with him even though he is smaller. Sometimes I will stop them if koda is getting to rough and make him calm down a bit. But they have a blast! I think it would be good for you to let them romp around.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks Eric - I really think they'll play fine, it's just I get heart failure every time Ami puts the pups whole head in his mouth affraid  Even though he's very gentle about it and it only lasts a second or two.

Just having trouble with the explanation: Uhh Josh, we're gonna rename your pup to Stupid. Ami kind of ate his head... Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 6:55 pm

For a neuter, once you get to 7 days you're golden!

As for letting them romp: If Ami is as patient as he sounds, you should be fine to let them play. I wouldn't leaven them unsupervised yet, but let them have as much fun as they'd like!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice, Please:   Advice, Please: Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice, Please:

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1