It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

POST REMOVED

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ALOx3
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-05-10

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Removed     .

Last edited by ALOx3 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Okay. First of all why in Gods name would you breed a male with both cataracts and hip dysplasia? You realize those are both heredity diseases correct? Chances are pretty good that both of those puppies you love so dearly at going to have those issues as well. It's likely that he is aggressive because he is in pain (I'm assuming he's not getting treatment for the HD). And someday, both of his puppies will be in pain too. 

Secondly, if the mother is going to be 2 in December, that would mean she was 8 months when she had the puppies, and 6 months when she was bred. Why, in God's name, would you breed a 6 month old female, especially to a male with two serious HEREDITARY health problems???

I feel as if it is socially obligatory for me to say I feel bad for you and your situation, but quite frankly, I really don't. I feel bad for the four dogs, but not you. You decided to bring puppies into the world. You decided to breed a male with serious health issues, you decided to breed him to a female that was WAY too young to have puppies, and you decided to keep two puppies. 

For the sake of all four dogs, please find a husky rescue organization in your area that can take them all in. Don't sell the females intact, most likely they will be cursed to a life of being bred repeatedly until they no longer produce, and then be killed.

When it comes to breeding, ignorance is no excuse for making bad choices.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Since you are in Orlando, the folks in this group might be able to help rehome.
https://www.facebook.com/SFLSnowdogs

Florida rescues you can try to get in touch with:
http://www.huskyhavenfl.com/

http://www.siberrescue.com/

http://www.sibrescue.com/

Hope you can find them good homes.

Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-05-10

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Removed

Last edited by ALOx3 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Oops, I put the wrong link for the Orlando group. I accidentally gave the link for the South FL group.

Here's the link for the CENTRAL FL snow dog group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cflsnowdogs/info

https://m.facebook.com/groups/132151896803577

Sorry about that!

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 6:13 pm

I worked for Siberian Husky Rescue of FL when I lived down that way, they will post them as part of their referral service, but only the ones that are fixed.  I'm happy to give some of my old contacts a shout and see what can be arranged if you'd like.

That being said, I really have to agree with Jen on this one.  If you'd had no intention of breeding your dogs, you'd have neutered your male the second you brought the female into the house, or have removed one of the dogs completely the second you knew your female was in heat.  What you did instead was allow a dog that was still a puppy herself to get pregnant on her first heat cycle.  That's like a 12 year old girl getting pregnant after her first period.  Moreover, you took in a dog with an unknown history and allowed him to pass along god knows what in addition to the HD and cataracts.  You may not have known about it at the time, but had you bothered to have a hip evaluation done the HD probably would have been found.  Congratulations, you now have puppies who will likely suffer from one, if not both conditions, and unless you fix the female she will continue to pass along genetic disorders.

I'm sorry that you feel you are being attacked, but this is something that many of us feel very strongly about and for good reason.  I have a dog who literally has half a brain (and a myriad of associated issues) because people were not responsible enough to effectively separate their intact male and female dogs, and allowed dogs with unknown lineages to reproduce.  I also found out last week that our Cocker Spaniel has a hereditary degenerative heart condition that very easily would have been prevented had people done their due diligence before allowing dogs to breed.

So no, don't try to shirk responsibility for what you have allowed to happen and lash out at others for expressing emotion over something that is very much a hot button item.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

POST REMOVED 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 6:57 pm

ALOx3 wrote:
wpskier222: You don't know my situation and have no right to bash me. I treat my dogs better than people treat their children. If you actually read what I said, he does not have hip dysplasia or catracts, he has beginning stages of both which happened later. If her were fighting the younger male because of that, he would also have issues with the females. Its all dominance. I was at work when they locked up and she got pregnant. I had someone watching them since she was in heat and the person watching them let them together. I now stay home with them. I took the responsibility for taking care of them all this time. My female had a healthy pregnancy and labor. I did not breed them, if I wanted to breed them, I would not have nuetered the male.

1. If he has beginning stages of HD and JC, then he already had HD when he was bred and he probably had JC when he was bred as well. These are hereditary diseases that the Siberian Husky community takes very seriously. You came here asking for help, but you will get flak for deciding to breed a dog with an issue. This is why dogs MUST be tested for HD & JC. If you do not know the norms for testing for genetic diseases in the breed, you have no business breeding them.

2. You need to get those puppies in for CERF clearances ASAP and preliminary OFA exams. Since you are knowingly breeding a Siberian with genetic disease you need to be responsible for the progeny you have created.

To be honest, I think it's wrong that you would come on a forum of Siberian enthusiasts and write this post without researching the views of the forum. A simple search for Juvenile Cataracts or Hip Dysplasia would have provided you with the details you needed.

Stop acting like that victim. In my opinion, the only victims in this situation are your dogs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 pm

wpskier222: You don't know my situation and have no right to bash me.

You're right, I don't know you, however, you posted on a public forum where everyone has an equal right to respond to posts.

If you actually read what I said, he does not have hip dysplasia or catracts, he has beginning stages of both which happened later.

I did read what you said, carefully, however, both can be screened for, and detected at a young age. Breeding stock can be officially certified for both eyes and hips at 2 years of age (and shouldn't be bred before 2 anyway), but can have preliminary hip exams done at a younger age. If he has bad hips (early stages of HD) at 4, then he had them at 2, and for that matter, at birth.

I was at work when they locked up and she got pregnant. I had someone watching them since she was in heat and the person watching them let them together. I now stay home with them. I took the responsibility for taking care of them all this time. My female had a healthy pregnancy and labor. 

I see. Well, oops litters happen to even the best of breeders, so accidents happen and I do applaud you for taking responsibility for ALL the puppies born, am I right to assume there were only two puppies in the litter? However, you did describe them as 'mates,' which to me translated as, well, mates, a mating pair.

If her were fighting the younger male because of that, he would also have issues with the females. Its all dominance. 

Okay, so, if it is only dominance related, wouldn't you think it would also transfer to the females, especially now that he is neutered? After all, dominance theory states that there is a definitive 'pecking order.' You said explicitly in your original post that he has hip problems, and so he's grumpy with the puppies, although now the story is changing and he's only aggressive with one dog, and it's another male, so it HAS to be dominance, it couldn't be the fact that he's lashing out because of pain from an untreated medical condition. Could it be that he is in pain, but the female puppy backs off when he tells her to, and the male doesn't, so a fight ensues? Plus if they had established this dynamic when the females were in heat, perhaps, it is rooted in that. 

I guess what annoys me most, is that you are going to give away the oldest member of the family because of a situation that you allowed to happen, whether you own that or not. It appears as if, now that he's gotten sick and has behavioral problems, instead of investing the time and resources to deal with these issues, you want to get rid of the old man, and I can't get with that.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 9:24 pm

I understand why this is a heated topic and I'm not agreeing with the OP's actions, but let's try and remember that the situation happened and we can't change the past. Yes, we can educate for the future, but attacking a new member because they made a mistake before they came on the forum is NOT the friendly environment we claim to be. The OP was looking for a home for her dogs. Like it or not, she is going to find the dogs a home if that's what she wants/needs to do and now... well, it's going to be without our help and I would have preferred we help her find a suitable and loving home for the dogs you all claim are the victims. Thanks to us, we just made them more of a victim.

Let's try and use a little more tact next time, shall we?

POST REMOVED Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

POST REMOVED Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST REMOVED   POST REMOVED Empty

Back to top Go down

POST REMOVED

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Community :: Rescue Missions-