It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

His Ears and Size?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

Female Join date : 2014-07-17

size - His Ears and Size? Empty
PostSubject: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:06 pm

I have a 4 month old male we named Loki. Last week he weighed in at 35.3lbs. Is this about average for a male? His ears are still a little floppy, but in the morning I noticed he'll have both standing, but by early afternoon they seem to droop again. How long did it take your husky's ears to be fully erect?

[url=size - His Ears and Size? 10501938_587053524360_1085684173322235904_n]

Sorry, he's a little dirty and wet in the picture after playing out in the sprinkler.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Smile Your pup is super cute. Is Loki a mix? Most puppy's ears are standing by the time they are 6-10 weeks. Some take a bit longer, but I don't think I've seen a full Siberian that still had floppy ears at 4 months. Also, his weight seems pretty big for a 4 month old. I think my male was around 20 lbs at 4 months. My pup loves to play in the mud and water too!
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:47 pm

size - His Ears and Size? <a href=size - His Ears and Size? IMG_20140619_063502_418" />

He's supposed to be pure breed. His ears can stand but usually for not long. He was the largest puppy in his litter too.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Do you have pictures of his parents?
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 3:06 pm

[img]size - His Ears and Size? IMG_20140717_115703_1[/img]

Dad is white. The mom is laying down.
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Is there something I should be concerned about?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm

I don't think there is a need for concern, but I think it's pretty unlikely he's full Siberian. I guess he could just have the woolly gene, but he almost looks like he has either golden retriever or maybe even some white German shepherd in him. I could be wrong, he looks at least part Siberian... Do they have other breeds as well? It's not just the ears,
It's the face shape and coat type as well.
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 6:34 pm

The breeder only owns the mother. Of the litter, Loki and one other are as 'fluffy' as him. In the litter, the were an assortment of colors including light red, gray, and maybe silverish? I don't know the color terms well. A couple of the other pups in the litter still have floppy ears also, but others have ears standing.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Loki is absolutely adorable, but Jen knows her stuff and I have to agree not all sibe. As a kid we had a husky/gsd  mix and her ears flopped, only stood up when she was hearing something, like a bird, mouse, etc. I believe that my girl that I currently have is also husky/gsd, but husky would be what she is mostly, seen her parents, her daddy was complete and totally Siberian Husky, her mom husky and mixed with something my guess was gsd. Don't be disappointed, he looks like he gets lots of attention and he'll make a great companion. By the way, my girl was 60 pounds at 6 months, that's when I finally understood she was not pure.

I have read that if you rub his ears from head up to tip of ear you might get them to stay up, Miya's ears stood perfect at 5 or 6 weeks, but did have a lazy ear at 11 weeks, I did it and they always stand up now.

size - His Ears and Size? Miya_t11

My husband called it her broken ear, he hated it, bugged him, told him that's our girl learn to love it. Very Happy

Also, by the way Loki's flop I am leaning towards Golden Retriever, flopping forward where my girl's ear flopped sideways

Last edited by MiyasMomma on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks a lot! I talked to a woman who got one of Loki's sisters. Apparently, the breeder had another male dog that I didn't know about. He looks like he is part husky and lab maybe? So maybe there was something goin[img]size - His Ears and Size? Untitled2[/img]g on that I didn't know about.

I found this picture of the male I didn't know she had as a puppy. She says in the comments of the picture that they think he might be part malamute.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Yep! I'd say he's the daddy. FYI, there can be two sires for a litter. So some of the puppies may well be puppies of the husky. But yours looks very much like the other male.
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Thank you for your help. You were basically answering my questions, that I pretty much already knew the answers to, but I guess I just wanted to hear someone else confirm them. I have been questioning it for a few weeks if he was a pure bred (like I was told) because of his size already and his ears. I guess it doesn't really matter because my family and I love him anyways.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 10:36 pm

Pure bred or not, he's seriously a super cute puppy!
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Thank you! I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:24 am

I'm not sure I follow your question, I posted up a few posts up from here, had same basic problem. Thought she was a pure and well she probably isn't. If my girl is pure then she came from a poor stock, is that what it's called? Unfortunately many of us get misled by BYB's, back yard breeders. I know my girl acts and looks, for the most part husky and that's why I am here to learn more about the breed, I knew some but I needed more answers. Along the way I got to understand the whole pure bred byb's and the real deal breeders, and what the differences are.

If you paid a lot of money with no paperwork I don't think there's any recourse, as in no paper work you can't sue. If you mean what do you tell people what type of dog, I probably would say lab mix or husky/lab mix, I say that my girl is a husky mix, because she does look like a husky only she has big ears. Has that helped any?

As beautiful as he is, enjoy him, you could always call him a lusky, just trying to make you feel better. He may end up being easier for you to care for, since you have kids and retrievers/labs are a little more docile, but you'll still see traits of a husky.

I swear you had another question. Now I don't see it.

Last edited by MiyasMomma on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:33 am

I was meaning I have a contract that I was buying a pure bred siberian husky. But after thinking about it I'm happy with him and I'll just take the loss. I wasn't going to breed him so it really doesn't matter that he isn't full blood. He's apart of my family now and we love him.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:37 am

I'm glad to hear that. I don't know if you could get some of your money back, maybe someone here could help you with that. Seriously a lot of us were misinformed when we got ours, but they are part of our families. Please keep posting pics, he's seriously cute as Rocio said.
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:43 am

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: His Ears and Size?   size - His Ears and Size? Empty

Back to top Go down

His Ears and Size?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1