It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Strange severe seperation aggression ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AndrewTapin
Newborn
Newborn
AndrewTapin

Male Join date : 2014-05-27

aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? Empty
PostSubject: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Strangest thing happened today... To start this off I've been leaving my dog at my parents house since Friday before heading off to work up north for about a period of 8-10h a day. She gets along great with them and loves being able to run around on the property.

Now she usually has zero aggression and even shares food or toys with other dogs but have noticed she has some separation anxiety with me. Anyways today supposedly shortly after I left my mother gave her a rawhide bone (First time she gets one from us) and she proceeded to bring it under the deck and sit on it. When my mother went underneath to see what she was doing the dog began growling, attacking and foaming from the mouth in rage at my mother. She said if it wasn't for her leash she would of been dog food.

My father attempted to go under and once again she started to foam and attack to the point they thought she had rabies. Unfortunately I had no cell coverage when they tried to call me multiple times. They then proceeded to try and distract her with peanut butter sandwiches while my dad would try to take her bone away with a large stick... she destroyed the stick. He tried again with a rake and same thing. They said she stayed under the deck sitting on her bone growling and snapping for 8 hours straight... The neighbor heard her and actually came over saying he also thought the dog had rabies...

Eventually on my way home I got cell coverage back to about 15 texts and phone calls saying she needed to be brought to vet asap because something was severely wrong with her. Once I got there I walked in back and she dropped her bone and walked over to me like nothing ever happened with her usual excitement ... she then proceeded to go sit on the deck with my parents to lick them.

What the hell happened ? This is the first time i leave her for so long... she is a rescue dog could that explain the anxiety aggression or severe protection of her rawhide? Did she perhaps think her rawhide was a baby and it was a paternal instinct although she is fixed? I don't know more of her past but she's been an all around great dog with me since day one.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 1:25 am

Hmm. That sounds pretty strange. Did you say that it was her first time you guys ever gave her a rawhide? Maybe she thought that it was a high value treat so she became overly possessive of it. Also, she might just be accustomed to you being able to take away food/toys but not so much other people. Has she had all of her shots? I personally doubt it's rabies but maybe just possessive over rawhides.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 am

I tend to agree with Rocio. I do want to ask how old is she and how long have you had her? I've had Miya since she was 5 weeks old, and honestly if I were to leave her with my neighbors, whom she loves and gave her a high value treat I'm not so sure my neighbors would have any fingers left, especially the male half, if they tried taking it away. Miya is very skiddish of men, even those she's been around. Do you know if she's a husky mix, to better understand her behavior, imho she looks husky/gsd. Gsd's can also be territorial. I don't think it's a maternal thing.
Back to top Go down
AndrewTapin
Newborn
Newborn
AndrewTapin

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 am

She definitely doesn't have rabies but for my parents and neighbors to bring it up means her raging/foaming was that severe.

It's her first time we give her a rawhide... I took it away from her and tossed it in the garbage. Shes roughly a year and a half now SPCA wasn't certain. I've had her for about 3 months! Maybe she just really thought it was a high value treat... I guess I'll only give her them when we're at my place from now on and not my parents or elsewhere.

She's better dominated by men she will not listen to women were as me or my father she will obey.
SPCA wasn't sure if she was a mix or not. One said she thought she was a mix but myself and another thought she was pure. As of right now shes at 54lb's (She was at 45lb's and skinny when I got her) and looks like she can still gain abit of weight so I'm leaning towards the fact she might have some GSD in her.

Here's better pictures if it helps.

aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? Photo_11
aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? Photo_12
aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? Photo_13
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 11:05 am

I think it may be combination of you not being around with a high value treat and resource guarding. Not to mention she was backed up into a corner essentially. Maybe have your parents work with her on come, drop it, and leave it commands with lower value treats so she is use to working with many people on those commands. In the future, I would tell your parents not to try to take it away just to prevent any problems until they can work with her more once they know what she has and it is safe for her.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 11:06 am

Don't give her anymore rawhides. There is a chemical that many of them have been soaked in that can trigger bad responses in some dogs. An allergic reaction. I have known two different dogs that have had this kind of response to rawhides. Both were labs and both were usually the most docile things you ever saw, but once that rawhide hit their mouth it was like a whole different dog and it took a bit for it to wear off. It's not resource guarding, it's like being on a powerful drug.

Newborn
Newborn
AndrewTapin

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am

Yea I agree probably a mix of the rawhide and the fact that it was the third day I was leaving her. Interesting I googled rawhide's and what you mentioned Twister... Definitely the last rawhide she see's. I'll be going to drop her off again Saturday for the day hopefully for the last time. Hopefully we don't have a repeat!

On the GSD mix part... I don't see any other dog in her but I find her weight tells another story... Do you guys see any GSD or other dog in her ? If so where exactly ? I'm curious thanks!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Andrew,
It's her big ears, longer snout, long paws, long legs. My girl was "pure husky" as well, but the ears give it away. She stands higher than breed standard, 22-24 inches, she weighs higher than standard, 65 pounds. Everything I mentioned my girls is too, Her markings are all husky, but her stature is more gsd.

Miya is very typical husky in behavior, but on occasion she has non-husky moments, she is very protective of me, she will stand between me and a potential "threat", even our door. She does not do this with my husband. She will guard her food from my husband and cat, but not me. The only time she did guard her food was a knuckle bone, my husband gave her, and then she just turned her back from me so I couldn't take it away.

I think we all gave you some ideas on how to approach, like Jen said don't give rawhide, I never had that reaction, but I stopped feeding it since I couldn't find American/Canadian made easily, she would foam at the mouth come to think of it when eating rawhides. Jessica came up with another good idea, train with your parents, and perhaps more with your mom, teach her the difference between drop it and "Drop It", she has to be firm. Also try hand feeding, with your parents too. This allows Meg to understand being gentle, who can give food, and builds a better relationship, bonding time.

She is absolutely a gorgeous girl, love the first pic you put up, what a goof ball. Understanding your girl, will give you an easier time at training, and help with proper behavior. It's not easy, especially if indeed she's husky/gsd, they are very dominate breeds, however, imo, very loving. If you have a chance look at my pics of Miya, Miya's scrapbook, most pics are when she was younger, she'll be 2 in November, but you will be able to see the difference between pure husky, like say Jen's and ours, which like I said probably, husky/gsd. Oddly that is a very common mix, doesn't mean you have less of a husky, I view it as having the best of 2 beautiful breeds. Lastly, understand that many of us here on this forum have mistaken our huskies as pure, when in fact they end up being mixed, or from back yard breeders which make the husky a lower stock than pure. This certainly does not mean that these dogs are less than a pure, it just means that they may display different behaviors, or look slightly different. In the end they are loved just the same.
Renee
Back to top Go down
AndrewTapin
Newborn
Newborn
AndrewTapin

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyTue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Awww yea I definetly see your points... I knew her weight pointed towards GSD but everything you mentionned kinda sticks out now! Thanks that's great to know and yea I love her no matter what she's mixed with!

And yes to be honoust I've already went to snoop Miya's scrapbook a couple of times now she looks awesome Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am

Thank you Andrew, I love her so, so much.

For the longest time I thought she would grow into her ears, but alas they're huge and will always be, haha. Like mine she may be predominately husky, but understanding dog behavior has become a hobby of mine, lol. I've only been around huskies, gsds and the mix of the 2, although very different, they have some similar traits. My neighbors husky could be show quality, that's how perfect he is in looks and size. He has the huge desire to escape, unlike Miya, she's very content being with me, but has severe separation anxiety(husky trait), he doesn't. It's rather interesting to compare the two, their similarities as well as differences.

You have a beautiful girl and she is very lucky you found her. Giving her a better life. Being an adopted husky will pose some issues, eventually, unless you know what her situation was before you. I mentioned your situation to my husband, and he agreed severe separation anxiety along with food guarding. He suggested similar thing as the other posters, but wanted me to add, try giving her something that smells like you, an old t-shirt, jacket, etc. Also allow your parents to give treats for being a good girl, let them bond with and without you, and never give her anything edible before you leave, have your parents give her food. Please keep us posted on how she does. They are a truly unique dog, and the rewards far outweigh the troubles they occasionally give us, even when they look rabid, lol
Renee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange severe seperation aggression ?   aggression - Strange severe seperation aggression ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange severe seperation aggression ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1