It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alexandra.vallebo
Newborn
Newborn
alexandra.vallebo

Female Join date : 2013-08-11

Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore. Empty
PostSubject: Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore.   Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore. EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 am

So my 1 year old Koda has had no trouble sleeping on his own for the past 9 months. We had him crate trained and he had no problem sleeping in the kitchen, which is right next to our bedroom. When it became obvious he would rather sleep on the ottoman from our couch set, we moved it into the kitchen and things were hunky-dorey. However the past couple days, Koda has been insisting that he sleep in the bedroom with us. We will go through normal bedtime routine and he will go to bed on his ottoman, but about a half hour after we turn out the lights Koda is whining and scratching at the bedroom door. Once he is in the bedroom he lays down and sleeps through the night, but it just strikes me as weird that after nearly a year of being perfectly fine sleeping in the kitchen he gets like this.

I first thought it was a separation thing because my husband was gone one night on a trip with his friends, but the behavior continued after he got back. I don't consider this a huge problem, but was wondering what you guys think triggered this and what suggestions you might have about getting him back to his own bed?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore.   Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore. EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 9:01 am

It sounds like he's kind of just maturing and expanding his boundaries a bit, and I don't necessarily think it's in a bad or challenging way. Dizzy has learned that when I brush my teeth it's bed time. A few months ago, he went through this phase where when I would brush my teeth, instead of going to his bed, he would jump up on the couch and curl up, while looking sheepish and hoping either he wouldn't get in trouble, or I wouldn't notice. He never disturbs anything in the apartment, so instead of getting annoyed with him, I would just totally ignore him and go to bed myself. He would almost always get up and go into his own bed a few minutes later. Now, he's loose and can sleep anywhere he wants, and either sleeps on the wood floor, or in his bed.

You have a couple options with Koda. If you really want to insist he sleeps in the kitchen, then you'll just have to be more firm about it. Does he have a command like, "go to bed?" If not, teach him that, and then every time he scratches at the door, open the door, and say, "go to bed," and point toward the kitchen. If he doesn't go, gently take him by the collar, say, "go to bed," and walk him into the kitchen and point to his ottoman. He will probably be pretty determined at first, but I doubt it will take more than a couple days for him to get the point. If you decide to do it this way, you can't ever cave and let him sleep in your room, otherwise, it will take a lot longer for him to give up.

If it doesn't bother you to let him sleep in the bedroom, I'd just get another dog bed and put it on the floor in the bedroom so he can decide whether or not to sleep in the kitchen or the bedroom, or even go back and forth throughout the night.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore.   Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore. EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 5:47 pm

Don't be surprised if every time you think you have your dog figured out he changes things on you! My dog is 2.5 years old, and I swear he keeps us guessing all the time! After all this time of never wanting to sleep on our bed with us, in the last 3 weeks, he all of a sudden wants to be there. Quite possibly because he's closer to the air conditioner, but whatever the reason, my husband and I are always shaking our heads, because just when we think we know his routine, he changes it on us.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore.   Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore. Empty

Back to top Go down

Doesn't Feel Like Sleeping By Himself Anymore.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1