It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First coat blow

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tdmoore44
Newborn
Newborn
tdmoore44

Male Join date : 2014-01-15

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Deacon is going through his first coat blow, and the duration has been rather long. Is there a normal amount of time that it takes for a husky to go through a full coat blow? He has been blowing his coat for about a month now.
Back to top Go down
AndrewTapin
Newborn
Newborn
AndrewTapin

Male Join date : 2014-05-27

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:25 am

It's normal I think it varies greatly per dog... Mine just finished this week after taking about a month and a half.
Back to top Go down
svincent207
Newborn
Newborn
svincent207

Female Join date : 2014-08-06

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 am

I had no idea that it would take so long for all of the thick hair to finally finish coming out, it took almost 2 months and is finally just about done. Evian is almost 11 months old so maybe it changes when they get older? She looks great now but boy did she looks scraggly for a while there. We were constantly brushing huge clumps of hair out of her coat.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 10:58 am

It just depends I believe on the temperature and how much you brush the coat Nala started hers about 1-1/2 ago and shes almost done because i brush her twice a day.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 12:25 pm

It depends on coat length as well. Neighbor has a long coat(i.e. show) husky who I swear has been blowing coat since April. Miya has a short(i.e. work/race) coat and blew coat early April for about 2 weeks. She hasn't done her fall blow yet. I'm not expecting that until September. Our weather here in Texas much warmer so it will be later in the year. Shorter coats don't take as long.
Back to top Go down
tdmoore44
Newborn
Newborn
tdmoore44

Male Join date : 2014-01-15

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Deacon's started slow, but has really picked up in the last couple of weeks. We brush him once a day, but could probably do it twice a day. No matter how many pictures or stories you here of huskies blowing their coat, you can never truly be prepared for how much fur comes off their body. It blows my mind he isn't completely bald by now.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Yes it's quite a feat on how much fur they loose,lol. I was wondering if any one here has heard of this group sos-srf.org? They actually take your huskies fur and use it to make things. I hope I didn't get in trouble for posting that, but it seemed like a worth while way to help a husky rescue, and it's a green way to produce husky yarn.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:58 pm

Ami started a gentle shedding around April, then in late June began some minor tufting that has been accelerating so that the last few weeks I get handfuls in 2 minutes of pulling...I can brush him maybe 5 minutes at a time and get a bagful (unpacked).  His back is completed, his tail is down to half volume, most of his sides finished.  His ruff just started to release profusely and his hind legs are still holding on.

I'm saving his fur - my sister spins and knits. She said she would make me a scarf or mittens if I save enough of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First coat blow Empty
PostSubject: Re: First coat blow   First coat blow Empty

Back to top Go down

First coat blow

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1