It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Awkward ears?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wiretap
Puppy
Puppy
Wiretap

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 11:59 am

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but my little puppy Doom (4 months) seems to be going through the awkward bat ear phase and I was wondering if anyone else's pups had the more wide-set sort of bat ear look growing up. Neither of his parents had that, so I'm curious if he will be growing out of it/into them.

Awkward ears? 7F4C739D-E924-41C1-8141-BDCC18A1F4F9_zpsavepflsl

And sometimes they appear closer together:
Awkward ears? 2E10D6FA-4EA2-45A4-A74D-207075C282D6_zpslmgwixqw

Awkward ears? 3CE743CA-00DF-4CC4-BBFC-636F660DAC31_zpszj6oedsr

And just because they're adorable;

Awkward ears? B4994443-2C88-45DD-AC51-616663B6C372_zps0jedzwvn
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 12:11 pm

The first picture looks more to me like the position that huskies put their ears in when they are relaxed, happy and sleepy... the other 3 pictures look normal to me as well Smile
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 12:23 pm

They do look a little big, I am sure he will grow into them, it is perfectly normal lol. It usually takes till about 8 months old till you can start guessing about how big a husky is going to be, and sometimes up until 2-3 years old before they are fully grown! I would just get a million pictures at this point, it won't last long.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Doom is only 4 months, I wouldnt worry about a thing...at 3 months my boy Kohdi went through a flop ear phase that had me so worried I called the breeder...I thought his ears were going to be so big he couldnt hold them up, haha...he's almost a year and a half now and I think he's grown into them nicely...unless its just that im used to them now Wink Awkward ears? 05710
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Mishka had serious bat ears when he was that age.
Awkward ears? 96008010

He grew into them though. Smile
Awkward ears? Img_3410

MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Haha, You haven't seen my girls ears. I thought she would never grow into them and well she has big ears, I'm used to it and love them. She does get the yoda ears, like Lucy said, when she wakes up or when I come home from the grocery store. They look normal to me, and like Jimmy said, Miya went through the floppy ear thing, I also thought it was because they were huge, lol. he's young give him time to grow into them or get use to them. Enjoy, they don't stay puppies long enough.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Ashleigh, yes Mishka has grown into his brilliantly. It's funny what we call their transitional ears, called Miya's dumbo ears, lol. everyday she still gets the yoda ears like Dooms first pic.
Back to top Go down
Wiretap
Puppy
Puppy
Wiretap

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Haha, I realize I'm being silly now. I'm gonna blame it on all the other "are my puppies ears normal" threads I've ran into on husky forums  Razz. I've owned a husky before but I got her when she was full grown so anything puppy is new to me! Some Beautiful dogs posted in this thread though!

I should clarify his ear never flop, they just fan out in crazy directions sometimes like in the photo below, but I guess that's just him being relaxed and given his odd proportions makes it more noticeable! Don't get me wrong- It's very cute, I just can't help being overly cautious about our sweet little boy!

Awkward ears? 1F61110E-2875-488A-8E2A-809CDA9D894B_zpsfppae6pm
Back to top Go down
Wiretap
Puppy
Puppy
Wiretap

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 10:23 pm

While I'm asking dumb questions, is anyone experienced in when a good time to start jogging with my puppy would be? I've taken him on quite a few short jogs (a mile at most generally), letting him set the place by just sort of paying attention to his behavior and whether or not he is tired or wanting to go faster. But I have read this can be bad for him at such a young age, is this true or is short jog/walk combinations ok at this time?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 12:25 am

We didn't get Ami until he was a year old so I don't know about puppy ears...but, now his ears go all the way from full forward attention to slant out to the side in consternation to fully laid back, plastered against his skull in pure joy at seeing my husband or my son. His ears are supremely expressive - how they are set depends on his mood.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 12:58 am

I apologize wiretap, I'm the one that took it in the "flop ear' direction...I never meant that I thought your dog had them too. I was just trying to say that husky ears do all kinds of things when they are young (my Kohdi had the flop ears) and not to worry, your puppy is still a puppy Wink I think I just need to stop posting and just read...cuz whats in my head doesnt always translate well into type, haha

As for jogging with your dog...I'v heard also (from my vet) that jogging/running with them while theyre young (I take it to mean under 1 year) is very hard on their joints. I had only askd because I like to take my dogs on long walks and asked how far would be too far, vet said walking long distances is no problem for them, but running with them will be very hard on their joints and definitely not recommended
Back to top Go down
Wiretap
Puppy
Puppy
Wiretap

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 2:11 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
I apologize wiretap, I'm the one that took it in the "flop ear' direction...I never meant that I thought your dog had them too. I was just trying to say that husky ears do all kinds of things when they are young (my Kohdi had the flop ears) and not to worry, your puppy is still a puppy Wink I think I just need to stop posting and just read...cuz whats in my head doesnt always translate well into type, haha

As for jogging with your dog...I'v heard also (from my vet) that jogging/running with them while theyre young (I take it to mean under 1 year) is very hard on their joints. I had only askd because I like to take my dogs on long walks and asked how far would be too far, vet said walking long distances is no problem for them, but running with them will be very hard on their joints and definitely not recommended  

No worries! I can see where it would be confusing! And thank you, I guess I'll stick to long walks to wear him out when he starts getting too crazy instead of quick jogs. Better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 am

I just hate it when I post something and then forget to send, haha. Good advice Jimmy. There's a thread under show dogs conformation, I believe that's the thread, and HuskyMom09, has some great examples of how to determine when your husky is finished growing tall wise. There's a bump on their front legs, once it's gone they are done growing, around a year, although some longer than that. Be watchful of cement/asphalt as well, not real good either. Page 25 of that thread gives you great info on growth. For working i.e. mushing shouldn't start until 18-24 months. Hopefully some other people can give specifics on running for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Awkward ears? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awkward ears?   Awkward ears? Empty

Back to top Go down

Awkward ears?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1