It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cold or warm water?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

Cold or warm water? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold or warm water?   Cold or warm water? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 4:51 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
I didn't want to single out just Jen so if someone else can explain the benefits of me brushing more often I would like to know. I did want to mention her coat is quite soft as well. To her belly comment on drying her, she doesn't have much fur on her last third of her belly towards her tail end, stupid vets shaved her last winter when she had a UTI, they put her out, shaved her, then x-rayed???? then drew blood, just to determine she had a UTI. So needless to say not much need to brush there. Will it ever grow back? I mean it's way less fur there than anywhere else on her, thin fur I guess you would say, you can see her pink belly. I don't want to appear dumb, but I truly feel asking these questions can help others. My forte is not in the grooming aspect of huskies, haha. Jen I'm going to get me the shampoo and have it on hand, when we don't want to travel to town, so thanks again for your recommendation.

Renee

Brushing- improve the skin blood circulation, relaxation (most of the dogs), remove the dead hair/fur, avoid coat get tangle, promote a better health coat

I don't understand why are you so angry with the vet who shaved the dog's fur of infection area to tried to keep it clean during the treatment. Hair/ fur can trap moist and warm where bacteria would love to grow in this condition. That would not be helpful for UTI especially a she.

Blood sampling does required to clip a bit from the leg to be draw blood from. So the needle goes where should be go.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Cold or warm water?   Cold or warm water? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 am

I think most dogs have less fur in that area, Dizzy does as well and I can see his belly. If she was not spayed at the time of the UTI, it's possible they were concerned about pyometra, which can be a life threatening emergency.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915

Brushing is just good maintenance for all of the reasons Grizzly&Charcoal mentioned. Dizzy's undercoat is so dense, that it doesn't come out unless I actually get out the rake. Tasha used to lose hers in tufts, but Diz (so far) doesn't blow that way. For him, there is a lot of loose undercoat on him at any given time. It also gets stuff out of their fur that you might not normally notice. Diz gets these tiny, pinhead sized burrs in his coat from some bushes in our park, and brushing gets them out, otherwise, they get buried in his fur next to his skin.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Cold or warm water?   Cold or warm water? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 10:40 am

Renee - I can whole heartedly attest to the fact that swimming in creeks, streams, ponds (at least around here) can definitely make a STINKY dog pale   There is algae, bacteria, molds, decaying vegetation...Ami gets in it all. Even his leash will stink! I've taken to filling the kiddie pool after Ami gets wet - he likes to dig in it and it gets all the muck and sand out of his belly and paws. That's as deep as Ami will go - suspect he's aware his thick coat might drown him Laughing 

On the other hand - the rain leaves him marvelously soft, sweet smelling I love you

As far as brushing - I can get maybe 5 - 10 minutes at a time (while he is chewing a bone, digging in a chipmunk hole or otherwise occupied Rolling Eyes ) His coat comes out in big tufts so I am constantly picking at him - I get a packed baggie full on every walk lol! 

One other stink source - both Ami and Archer are stinky after eating their beef bones - they hold the bones with their front paws and the blood and fat get impregnated in the fur...until the finally lick it all off. I suspect some stink also comes from them grooming the rest of themselves after licking off the paws...When the stink hangs around, I use the waterless foam shampoo (or hope for a rain!)
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Cold or warm water?   Cold or warm water? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Everyone.

Grizz, I'm mad at our vets for numerous reasons, whole other thread for that. Please correct me if I'm wrong - Miya was spayed in April 2013, Uti occurred November 2013. We told vet she was constantly licking herself, wanting to pee more with less coming out, they got a pee sample right off.....It goes down hill from there, vet got fat lip, black eye from Miya. My opinion was run lab work for the pee first then start on the more invasive shaving belly and x-rays. Just my opinion. This vet practice is a high stressed area, people running around cows and horses making their sounds, I think after the fat lip and black eye he wanted to make sure it cost enough to make up for his trouble, it shouldn't cost $250 to tell me my girl has a Uti, am I wrong? It's a pretty common problem, she had the signs, am I missing something as far as determining a Uti?

Ok back on subject, I will start a better routine on brushing her sides, top and under chest, there is nothing to brush her lower third of her belly, I bought a love glove and I will see if it doesn't bother her there. She is very good with me brushing her, except there and I think the brush is too rough. even after her spay her hair didn't grow back well, so they shaved for no real reason, if I can manage a pic I will try and take one to show you. She has a beautiful, short, thick coat everywhere, but there and I am baffled as to why? With her coat so short, when she does blow coat it comes out in tufts as well. With those who have cats, she cleans just like one, never has her hair mat, I'm surprised she doesn't get hair balls. She is a very pristine dog as to how she grooms herself. I think since Jen bathes Dizzy frequently without issue, I'll up her shampoos and see if this helps more, as well as rinsing her off after swims. Amy good thing Ami doesn't get all wet, ugggg he would be a bigger mess.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Cold or warm water?   Cold or warm water? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 5:23 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Everyone.

Grizz, I'm mad at our vets for numerous reasons, whole other thread for that. Please correct me if I'm wrong - Miya was spayed in April 2013, Uti occurred November 2013. We told vet she was constantly licking herself, wanting to pee more with less coming out, they got a pee sample right off.....It goes down hill from there, vet got fat lip, black eye from Miya. My opinion was run lab work for the pee first then start on the more invasive shaving belly and x-rays. Just my opinion. This vet practice is a high stressed area, people running around cows and horses making their sounds, I think after the fat lip and black eye he wanted to make sure it cost enough to make up for his trouble, it shouldn't cost $250 to tell me my girl has a Uti, am I wrong? It's a pretty common problem, she had the signs, am I missing something as far as determining a Uti?

Ok back on subject, I will start a better routine on brushing her sides, top and under chest, there is nothing to brush her lower third of her belly, I bought a love glove and I will see if it doesn't bother her there. She is very good with me brushing her, except there and I think the brush is too rough. even after her spay her hair didn't grow back well, so they shaved for no real reason, if I can manage a pic I will try and take one to show you. She has a beautiful, short, thick coat everywhere, but there and I am baffled as to why? With her coat so short, when she does blow coat it comes out in tufts as well. With those who have cats, she cleans just like one, never has her hair mat, I'm surprised she doesn't get hair balls. She is a very pristine dog as to how she grooms herself.  I think since Jen bathes Dizzy frequently without issue, I'll up her shampoos and see if this helps more, as well as rinsing her off after swims. Amy good thing Ami doesn't get all wet, ugggg he would be a bigger mess.

Oh dear! I feel sorry for both of you. I surprise that the vet didn't tell you what are they going to do and just did it without your agreement. I would pretty much frustrate like you does if I am in your shoes. Maybe you shall take a bit time to look up other vet clinic.

RE: coat, there is some supplement you can use and they claim these would be helpful, things like fish oil, kelp powder. Apart from that, type of diet would make different as well.

Re: brush, personally use rank and slicker brush, which might be little be too much for the belly bit in yours, but mine one is ok. So I would say brush with round tips would be gentle enough and provide a good deep massage.

Hope that help and All the best!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Cold or warm water?   Cold or warm water? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Thank you Grizz, thinking of starting a new thread on how to change vets. If you don't mind me asking, where is your location? I'm guessing not here in the states, I'm sure if you're not here in the states, things are done just a little differently, as you shall see when I do the new thread. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold or warm water?   Cold or warm water? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cold or warm water?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next