It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO Empty
PostSubject: Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO   Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Let me start by saying this hike is not really a dog hike unless your dog loves rocks.
Here is our track:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/1/edit?hl=en&authuser=1&mid=zg-snrdqJx-c.k2Pl6Dk55xt0
covered just over 6.85 miles RT in 6.5hrs and gained just about 2,000 ft of elevation, my info not summit info.
this summit was at 13,614ft

I questioned leaving Sierra at home but then Ken had to work and I did not want to leave her all alone so i brought her with us. We were not sure how big the rocks were but knew there were some, it would have been wise of me to have left her at home because i did not get to make the summit on this hike because i had to stay back with her Sad  Eddy, Ridik and Jack made it to the top though.
I felt like a bad mom making her go, but she was a trooper and did better then i thought she would. Just sucks to do all the hard work to get to the ridge and not make it.
We also got snowed on and it was cold so waiting an hr for the guys to come back sucked. Jack also had all the water and Sierra was out so that was another fail but lesson learned.

anyways i did get some nice pictures so here they are.

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0704
Mt. Bross, the summit is on private land, but people go any ways, its a 14er.

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0706
the trail starts on a 4W road, saw these guys

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0710

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0727

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0720
Sierra doing her best

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0717
Eddy way ahead of me, the summit is the last peak

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0729
then it got real hard to the point i was lifting her up and over rocks, it was a total body work out with a 47lb dog but the ruff wear packs are great for this stuff!

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0724
Jack and Ridik

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0732
Mom im done

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0731
boys on the summit, super zommed in

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0739
ok lets go home

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0737

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0742
snow break!

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0743

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0747
almost to the grass and road

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO DSCN0748
back to the road, Sierra moved a bit quicker now

Jack did end up with small blisters on his pads and Sierras were just red, it was by far the hardest hike they have done so far. Im proud of Jack for rocking it, Next time i will use my head over my heart and leave Sierra home, it took double the time and energy with her to do this.
I will have to go back and get this summit with no dogs.

Till our next adventure...

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO   Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Great pics Jennifer. Beautiful country, similar to here, we just have less elevation, but rocks everywhere. Btw, you're definitely not a bad mom, you're a hopeful mom, you didn't want her missing out on the potential fun, I get it. Thanks again for sharing.

Renee
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO   Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Aw, I just want to snuggle poor Sierra. She did look done, but I imagine she would have hated being left behind more than just not making it to the top. Sometimes it's hard to let our babies have limitations. I know there's been a couple times I've had to take Kenzi's pack off her just to give her the added boost to get her to the car, but they are such troopers. I envy your hiking excursions.

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO   Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking with Dogs-North Star Mt., CO

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1