It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking for opinions on my pups purity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shawnery.hardin
Newborn
Newborn
shawnery.hardin

Looking for opinions on my pups purity Empty
PostSubject: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 10:35 pm

My girl is known as Sasha, the Russian princess, she is 5 months old and weighs 30#'s. She has no papers nor did either of her parents and I'm just looking for an informed opinion on her lineage. I have pics of both her mother, pure white and her father who is black/white who looks like a Malamute to my eyes. The other photos are of me:).
Looking for opinions on my pups purity 4112
Looking for opinions on my pups purity 3714
Looking for opinions on my pups purity 20140911
Looking for opinions on my pups purity 20140912
Looking for opinions on my pups purity 20140913
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 11:25 pm

That's a (mostly) Malamute curled up in that chair, no doubt. Mals don't usually have blue eyes, so maybe a mix. But I'm gonna say yours is not a pure bred Husky.

Just my take.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
shawnery.hardin
Newborn
Newborn
shawnery.hardin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 11:57 pm

I think the father's eyes were a light amber/yellow but I could be wrong. Thanks for the help, I'm going to get one of those dna tests just for the hell of it, I'll let you guys know in a few weeks.

Even after informing breeder of my concern that she was not purebred and I was going to dna test her he stated both the parents and grandparents were raised in his house and is 100% sure of there breed.

Who knows, I just know I love her either way!!
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 12:27 am

I've considered the DNA think for Nakita. I'd like to have some idea what she's mixed with. If you decide to, let us know what kind of results you get.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 1:33 am

FWIW, I agree with Jeff on daddy, mal/sibe mix. But mamma looks mixed as well or is a poor bred husky, her ears are too big for a husky (almost gsd size) and off to the side too much. There are many of us who have thought of the dna test, but expense gets in the way and I have heard they are not the most accurate. You may be surprised by the out come. I am not as fine tuned to mals, but the guy sitting in the chair looks mixed because of his larger facial features, huskies seem more thin faced if you will. I am more aware of gsd's features vs mal, both mom and dad seem taller and heavier than breed standard of a husky. If I were to place a bet on the dna test - 50% husky, 30% mal, 15% gsd, 5% other. And that's just my take.

Btw, she is absolutely beautiful, I love the deep, dark out line of her ears and eyes.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 2:07 am

Hmmm, please do let us know what turns up with the DNA test, its interesting for sure. I just don't see the Malamute in the father that others do. I grew up with a Malamute (amazing dogs!!!) for 16 years and always have been pretty good at telling them apart from Huskies (normally its something about the eyes that clue me in, but this dogs eyes throw me off) His bone structure is "sturdy", but my last boy husky had a sturdier bone structure than my current boy. His ears are wide (flared) but theyre small, theyre actually quite similar to my current boy. Im in no way doubting Jeff or Renee, just nothing about this dog is sending me that "familiarity" (?) signal that says "cool, theres a Malamute in this mix Smile The mother is very pretty (they all are actually) but her ears are definitely big. Congratulations on Sasha, shes beautiful and I love that name. PLEASE do update us though, I'm really curious!!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 2:26 am

Jimmy, like I said I'm not as fine tuned in the mal department. I'm much more versed in the husky/gsd mix or the poor breeding stock of huskies. If i were to compare apples to apples Miya compared to Sasha. They have very similar body structure and ears, lol. My lack of having a spare $65, has made me do my research on line and through my knowledge of Miya's parents. My conclusion is that Miya is a poor stock(mothers side) bred husky or one of Miya's grandparent on her mothers side had gsd in it. Now I do know that some racing lines of huskies are taller and heavier than breed standard, and Miya fits that, however her ears are neither rounded nor well furred, hence my conclusion of gsd, if I were to venture a guess with Miya - 75% husky, 15% gsd, and 10%other.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 2:35 am

Renee, having a Malamute doesnt make me an expert, im just TRULY curious!!! Wink I examined the pic kinda carefully and he just looks all Husky to me...in a lot of ways, he looks like my Kohdi (can be argued that Kohdi doesnt measure up to the "standard" I guess, but whatever, LOL
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 2:40 am

I do have a question though, hopefully someone can answer...the large ears on the mother, I understand about poor breeding and stuff but how do the large ears happen? being mixed with another breed at some point, or just not breeding the very best "candidates" when breeding is done?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 2:49 am

lol, Jimmy. So Sasha's parent - inquiring minds want to know. We ask you to post up the results, because there's a few of us who want to know, what's your puppy, well besides loved by you, lol.

Honestly Jimmy that can be argued, whether it's because of poor "canidates" or different breed. I personally believe it's from a gsd line, from generations ago. Biggest reasons gsd's/husky mixes have been going on for decades, and the large, pointy upright ears are a gsd trait, most breeds with that tall of an ear tend to drop, where as gsd's tend to stand. I do wonder if Jeff or some one else has an opinion to that?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 2:56 am

I did want to mention that Sasha, and the other puppy in the pics, have a thin tail, husky, mal, and gsd's have a more plume tail, it could be the pics, or because they are young, but it also made me curious of their dna make up. Both mom and dad appear to have the plume tail.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 3:27 am

Oh wow, I thought the first pic was Sasha with her mother, haha, my bad. I think the thin tail is the "puppy" ...Sasha actually looks pure husky to me as well, but that opinion doesnt factor in the reason for larger than average ears. I do see gsd in the larger ears, but theyve always reminded me more of a Coyote, haha

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 3:31 am

Ugh, I meant Sasha's mother having the larger than average ears...SO sorry Sad its kinda too early to tell how much Sasha will grow into hers, cuz isnt this the age where ears really take off?
Back to top Go down
shawnery.hardin
Newborn
Newborn
shawnery.hardin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 10:41 am

That is actually Sasha with her mother in the photo with mom and then again as a teenager now. The breeder has always been very adamant about the breed but so would I if I was lying to sell them but who knows. I've read that their tails don't come in until they are older and that she will grow in to her ears,  I guess I shall see.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 11:08 am

I agree that I don't see Mal in the dad, just a very sturdy husky.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 am

Her mother does not look pure bred or rather well bred. Its not to say that Sasha wont be a great dog, but it looks to me like it was bad breeding.
Did you go with a registered breeder or was this more of a hobby breeder, because those tend to be BYBs and are not purebred.
Back to top Go down
shawnery.hardin
Newborn
Newborn
shawnery.hardin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 5:06 pm

I hate hearing phrases like poorly breed or of low quality but don't get me wrong I know it's not meant as a derogatory remake just an answer to a question. Either way she is the best thing since sliced bread in my neck of the woods, I know I'm biased:) To be honest I do hope her ears find themselves somewhere between her fathers and mothers size. She has the best temperament I could have hoped for as well.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Thats why I said it wont mean shes a bad dog. We have a mutt who is terribly bred and has health problems because of it but shes a great dog.

Bad breeders make for poorly bred/over bred dogs. From what I read in your intro he hasnt given you papers and based on the photos I would say she was poorly bred. I asked if you got her through a breeder for a reason, because information like that can help tell you if he/she is a back yard breeder.
*Not saying thats your fault, a lot of people here got dogs from BYBs before realizing the problem that BYB perpetuate, which is poorly bred dogs with health problems, and overbreeding resulting in lots of dogs ending up in shelters. These "breeders" are there for money, not for improving bloodlines and placing dogs in good homes.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Kelly, Thank you for explaining that to the OP. Op my Miya is from a byb. She is very intelligent, wonderful companion. I felt like poo, because I helped make the byb money, but more importantly I was ignorant, I wanted the best husky out there. I do, I'm biased as well, but i had my doubts just like you, because she never grew into her ears, they are not husky ears. Miya is a great dog as I'm sure your Sasha is too.
Back to top Go down
shawnery.hardin
Newborn
Newborn
shawnery.hardin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:06 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
Kelly, Thank you for explaining that to the OP. Op my Miya is from a byb. She is very intelligent, wonderful companion. I felt like poo, because I  helped make the byb money, but more importantly I was ignorant, I wanted the best husky out there. I do, I'm biased as well, but i had my doubts just like you, because she never grew into her ears, they are not husky ears. Miya is a great dog as I'm sure your Sasha is too.
It was a byb and though I understand the concern for health issues and other derogatory issues with these types of breeders I had been looking for a while and had a problem finding breeders that were close enough for me to travel to because of a disability I have. Unfortunately later I found a rescue organization that I would have loved to get a dog from but at this point the wife is done with dogs. In a way I feel like I did rescue her from anyone who would never love her the way I do.

Our dogs seem to have similar ears and facial features.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:17 pm

shawnery.hardin wrote:
I hate hearing phrases like poorly breed or of low quality but don't get me wrong I know it's not meant as a derogatory remake just an answer to a question. Either way she is the best thing since sliced bread in my neck of the woods, I know I'm biased:) To be honest I do hope her ears find themselves somewhere between her fathers and mothers size. She has the best temperament I could have hoped for as well.

I, too, have a poorly bred, low quality husky. Who happens to be a stunningly beautiful dog, just a poorly put together Siberian Husky when compared to the standard. (Husband says they should change the standard - he, too, thinks Ami is gorgeous) Ami is very smart, learns quickly, is as sweet as sweet can be, gets along beautifully with other dogs, is gentle, a wonderful walking companion (now that he's not regularly dumping me in the ditch, that is Laughing ) and has all the wonderful, playful, independent, impish characteristics of the breed. I could write a love story to him...it still does not mean he's a great example of Siberian Husky. So please, just take it to mean you won't be showing him for conformation and breeding her (I hope). Enjoy her for the dog she is!
Back to top Go down
shawnery.hardin
Newborn
Newborn
shawnery.hardin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Amymeme, your dog looks so cooooool like some kind of snow fox and I would be so proud to have such a gorgeous dog. I understand it was only lingo meant to define lineage more so than anything g independent to Sasha as a whole.
My Sasha is always accosted by people who think she is the coolest looking Husky they have ever seen as do I. These breeds are so beautiful no matter where they came from or who their parents were. We are all so lucky to have these great animals as friends.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:30 pm

They do have similarities. I had these same problem. Honestly, my girl is terrific, like Amy said and i agree I'm not into the show aspect, and I'm not/can't breed her. She is a fantastic companion. Follows me where ever I go, extremely smart, loves to train. There may come a time that her poor breeding will be an issue, I hope not, but I'm prepared to deal with it, and in the mean time I'm going o enjoy her and love like no other. I hope you put more pics up, she is a beauty.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Sasha is very pretty. Her body type and coat remind me a lot of Loki at that age. He was rescue, so I don't know if he is purebred. However, he has big ears too that he has grown into a lot better now that he is 1.5 years old. While some say GSD mix, he acts nothing like a GSD in that he is not territorial at all and does not bark except to play with other dogs. Around the time he was a year, I just gave up saying husky mix and call him husky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for opinions on my pups purity   Looking for opinions on my pups purity Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for opinions on my pups purity

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1