It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Not eating... right, erm... properly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

eating - Not eating... right, erm... properly? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not eating... right, erm... properly?   eating - Not eating... right, erm... properly? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Vince, I've been out of pocket so didn't see this latest till today.
If you have a property with toads, you need to do some research - there are some breeds of toads that can be fatal to our furred friends.  See this thread out of Australia for some ideas.  We have some here in the US who will 'burn' a dogs mouth as well.
And, on the topic of bad things Husky's like to get into garlic, grapes and a slew of other things.  See this thread for a slide show of no-no foods.  You might want to do some more homework on this topic. (( and on that note, is there a thread here that lists 'bad food'?? ))
The reason so many of these things are bad is not the immediate effect but that they cause damage which builds up over time.  Again from PetMD.
Yeh they're sneaky critters so we have to do our best to convince them that things we like aren't good for them, good luck there!!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Not eating... right, erm... properly?   eating - Not eating... right, erm... properly? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 1:19 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
They are a highly intelligent dog, and no matter how hard you try to convince them, some just aren't going to eat corn or other grains, it's just not natural to them. You can say they're picky, but I just think it's the nature of their breed.

lol! Ami LOVES to eat corn right off the cob, dripping with butter! Jenny posted a picture of Dizzy eating it and we had corn that night - tried it and he loves it.

That being said - Ami does much better on TOTW grain free!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Not eating... right, erm... properly?   eating - Not eating... right, erm... properly? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Amy, I'm guessing it's more the butter, Seen the video too, and you have to remember that fresh corn in small doses is nothing like the corn they use in dog food, which is highly processed and then chemically added smells so they will eat it and lastly food dye. Agreed, if I gave Miya corn on the cob with butter, which I've done, she loves it, but I really think it's the butter that entices them.

Al, indeed, I was going to mention grapes, raisins, mushrooms, onions, frogs and the like no no's, however I think there is still a big debate on very small amounts of garlic.
Back to top Go down
trbomax
Puppy
Puppy
trbomax

Male Join date : 2014-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Not eating... right, erm... properly?   eating - Not eating... right, erm... properly? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Robin used to go out in the field,pick an ear,and bring it up to the back porch.She would then husk it and eat it,cob and all.Ive got some pics of this but they are just too hard to post here.
Back to top Go down
dekiai
Newborn
Newborn
dekiai

Male Join date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Not eating... right, erm... properly?   eating - Not eating... right, erm... properly? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 am

I suppose it might be better to keep her away from the grains then... I'm still trying to look for a new type of dog food (an adult formula) that doesn't have the grains. But overall, she seems to be eating well as of the moment.

@Al,
Yes, it gives me mini-heartattacks every time she goes after toads. That prey-drive these critters have is no joke. If she really wanted to go for the toad, I'm sure she'd have the strength to pull me! Sneaky little animals indeed.

and... lol! at all the corn stories. Just proves how this breed loves to get into all kinds of mischief and their strange (and very different) eating habits.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not eating... right, erm... properly?   eating - Not eating... right, erm... properly? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Not eating... right, erm... properly?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2