It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need help with my new puppy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maverick In Florida
Newborn
Newborn
Maverick In Florida

Male Join date : 2014-09-15

Need help with my new puppy! Empty
PostSubject: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Hey everyone!

I am new to the website and wanted to ask everyone a couple of questions. After months of researching the breed as well as looking for local breeders I finally found the pup I was looking for. He is a black and white male named Maverick with green/blue eyes. He was 7 weeks old at the time and the breeder decided to let him go early. After having him with us and trying to crate train him for almost 3 weeks, it has not worked. He has been awful in his crate and sounds like a screaming child every time he is put in there. It usually is only for 2 hours but our neighbors have started to complain and we do not want to be evicted. It seems like he has severe seperation anxiety... Does anyone have some tips? We would greatly appreciate it!

Need help with my new puppy! Maveri11
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Hello and welcome.

Maverick is a real cutie.

Riley our 3 month old cried the first couple of nights, but then stopped. For us the trick was to make sure she was tired and CALM when we put her in the crate. I really think exercising her before will help.

Other than that I'm sorry I don't have more to add.
Back to top Go down
Maverick In Florida
Newborn
Newborn
Maverick In Florida

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Thats the thing. We take him out all of the time and he still has issues. We will take him outside to go to the bathroom and 15 minutes later he will have an accident in the apartment. But I understand he is a puppy and will have accidents from time to time. The main concern though is his ridiculous howing/crying when he is left alone. Also the issue is only during the day when we are gone. He does well at night and even sleeps through the night now with no issues. But we have tried toys, treats, turning on the tv, blankets(which he shreds), etc and nothing has worked. The complex put a noise complaint on our door already so I do not want to have to get rid of him or be evicted. I am willing to try anything
Back to top Go down
Bree & Nikki
Newborn
Newborn
Bree & Nikki

Female Join date : 2014-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:31 pm

I had behavior problems with my Husky (Bree) at first. She was exactly the same, fine as long as she was not left alone. We decided to get her a sister, a German Shepherd (Kimmy). This helped Bree get over her separation anxiety straight away! All seemed well then Kimmy developed separation problems! We, like you tried everything! In the end we decided to get a dog trainer (it only took one three hour session). He evaluated Kimmy and found the root of the problem (which was stress) he then told us how to fix it. We followed his advice and along with consistency it worked!

I leave both my girls in the house alone and their behavior is fantastic! I hope this helps a little just stick with it. He will eventually get used to being on his own.

P.S Try putting him in a room on his own with a treat that may take him a while to get through. When he starts howling leave him for 5 minutes and take him out and gradually increase the time. Thats what my breeder told me to do with Bree but we decided to get her a sister instead lol Smile Good luck.

Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Do you walk him before you put him in the crate for the day?  The fact that he shreds the blanket might mean that he has excess energy.

I know that I walk/play with Riley before work for about 35-45 mins.  After that she is ready to go into her crate for hours.  If I did not she would go stir crazy and make a ton of nose.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Let me give you a few pointers.
Firstly, for mostly everything you could ever ask, there is a search tab at the top of the forum. And you can find many a great things asked and answered in great length! So much knowledge at the base of your fingertips!

Personal tips I can give you.

Talk to your neighbors. Tell them you just got a puppy, and they need to understand that it will take a little time for you to get into gear with your results, but no fear! It can and will be accomplished to where you can have your pup crate trained/ less separation anxiety.

Okay, once you have their understanding. Time for training.

Make sure your crate is in a room of your house that you occupy a lot of your time in. Living room, bedroom etcetera. (I actually have 2 crates, one in the bedroom and one in the living room.)
Huskies are a pack minded animal, and like to be with their family. If you isolate them, they get lonely and bored, which could lead to crying.

To start off, make sure the crate has positive stuff inside. Toys, chews, maybe a dog bed... anything to make it fun, comfortable and safe. Huskies look at their crate as a "Den" much like wolves do. It is where they sleep, and have their own space to be themselves and relax.
So to achieve this you need to simulate the process of the crate becoming that. Keep the door open and throw a toy in there and play fetch. Once the pup gives you the toy back, give a treat... after a little bit of prolonging this, it will become a game... hitting two birds with one stone, fetch and crate conditioning in the bag! yay! So. Now. You want to start getting that door closed. Get the pup to go in the crate, and shut the door. Stay in the room. You may get some expected whining, crying... Like a toddler, DO NOT GIVE IN! You teach your dog that crying gets them their way. I don't care if it takes hours, and neither should you. But the very second that crying stops, you let that little pup out and give them a treat, they deserve it! Then play the crate fetch game again for a while, maybe go outside and play a little, and what not. Now, do it again. The same process. Crate with door shut, wait till they stop crying let them out and treat, then play. This will seem repetitive, and energy draining. It is worth it. Because eventually, your pup will accept that door being closed..... Because you are still there, your pup can see you. You are the comfort. However, it doesn't quite solve the anxiety problem.

So onto step two.
You want to get your pup relaxed in the crate with the door closed. And you want to start prolonging the amount of time before you open the door. Start with a couple of minutes, and work up to 5, then 8, then 10, then 13, then 15.... etcetera. It may not seem like it, but dogs have a weird sense of time. They know when something has been a long while vs. a short, they can tell the difference most of the time. So the more you condition the calmness in the crate with prolonged time, the more they accept the crate.
So now that the dog has a calmed demeanor in the crate, you need to start leaving the room. At first walk out, you will probably get an instant whine in the first few seconds. Do not come back until the whining stops. When the whining stops, come back in and let them out and do the play and treats stuff. Then once you can walk out of the room with out your pup crying, start doing the prolonged instances before you come back. Work it up to a couple of hours.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but in the end result, you will have a crate trained dog, that now has the knowledge that you will always come back, and you will play with them when you do.
Back to top Go down
Maverick In Florida
Newborn
Newborn
Maverick In Florida

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Yes I do. Typically he will sleep from about 12-7 now in which I will get up and take him out. Then I will feed him and get ready for work. At around 8am I take him out for a 20 minute walk before I have to leave for work at 8:30am. He usually is only in his cage(which is in the bedroom) for only a few hours at a time. Also my girlfriend is with him the majority of the time so he rarely spends time alone.
Back to top Go down
Zelcova
Newborn
Newborn
Zelcova

Female Join date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 6:10 pm

Everything that Lucy said, do it. I can't say much for long term, but this is what we've been doing with our pup. We've only had him a week, but he's so different from the first night we brought him home. The first day or two, anytime you put him in his crate, he'd whine and cry for like, an hour. Now he goes in his crate, he fusses for 5 minutes. We still have some work to do, but it really does work.
It IS a lot of work, but trust me, you'll want to get him crate trained while he's still very young. We adopted our Lab when she was 7 months, has seperation anxiety and was never crated. It's a lot harder to crate train them when they're big enough to destroy the entire crate. So it's even more work!

Btw, Maverick is sooo cute! And I LOVE the name! I wanted to name my two boys Maverick, but I got shot down both times. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with my new puppy!   Need help with my new puppy! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with my new puppy!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1