It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

slow feed bowl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 11:36 am

Hi, I was wondering does anyone here have or recommend a slow feed bowl?
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 12:17 pm

I haven't used one, but I recommend them. Mine used to eat like a speed demon, and considered getting one. Right as I was putting it on my priorities, she slowed down on her own and she hasn't changed her slow pace. It is really recommended for those speed eaters though to prevent bloat, which is a very scary thing. So I suggest once you get your dog, you can be the judgement caller about how fast the fuzzy one eats and if you are worried go get one lulz.
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks! Well I'm doing my shopping for her this week and saw some at the store, I wasnt sure if they were that great or not but now I'm definitely getting one. I have a feeeling she will be a fast eater haha
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Jane I agree with Lucy, it may be a good idea since you'll have 2 youngsters competing on who eats the fastest, etc. Bloat tends to be more of a gsd problem vs husky, although both breeds can get it.

Just to get this out there: ways to reduce risk of bloat: feed grain free food, bloat is the process of grain food swelling in belly after a meal and then a lot of water. Feed at a low position, not recommend elevated food bowls. Wait a half hour after feeding to give water if food has grain in it. Wait a half how to exercise if grain in food, slow the feeding down by using slow feeders. Bloat is a serious and sometimes deadly problem for barrel chested type dogs, some huskies fall into that category and most gsd's do. Forgot to mention if you soak food with a little water or gravy before feeding it will swell the food ahead of time, hence lowering risk of bloat as well.

Renee
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Also a piece of mind... Dogs with Bloat can't burp. So I always listen for the after mealtime burp Smile If I don't hear it (which it always happens haha) I would check for more signs.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Lol, Lucy good to know, Miya is a burper for sure, love her derp face when she burps, haha
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Lol thanks for the great tips! I'll be listing for that burp from now on haha
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 6:41 pm

I use a slower feed for my youngest and it has helped ALOT. Before the slow feed I couldn't get a cup of coffee loaded into the keurig. Now I can make my coffee and enjoy it a little before he is done. I use this kind. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPKNRF0/ref=twister_B00IHCS3K2
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 10:45 pm

I don't have a slow feeder but my mutt is a speed demon eater. He would eat so fast he would choke on his food. Rather than buy something special I just sit a cup down in the middle of his bowl and that slowed him down a bunch having to pick around it. No more choking.

slow feed bowl Empty
PostSubject: Re: slow feed bowl   slow feed bowl Empty

Back to top Go down

slow feed bowl

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1