It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Two new Husky Pups saying hello

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SLV829
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-28

Two new Husky Pups saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 1:25 am

Greetings,

My fiance and I just purchased and moved into our first home in Stony Brook, NY which is on Long Island and also just got our first Siberian Huskies!

They are sisters named Kylie and Mieka. We got them the week before Halloween and now they are about 4 months old. Both of us grew up with many dogs in our family from little Shih tzus to shelties to a 120lb Black Lab but these two are our first Huskies and we absolutely love them! Everyone said they would be A LOT to handle so we were a little nervous at first but they have been absolutely amazing! We have a yard with more than half an acre and just had an electric fence put in and the girls LOVE to run around and play together. After about a week of training they already know to stay away from the perimeter. This weekend we got a ton of snow in the blizzard that hit the northeast and Kylie and Mieka had so much fun hopping and playing in it. The amazing thing is they don't try and run away from us at all and they listen very well when it comes to getting them back in the house and to come to us. Maybe it is because they are still so young but overall the experience has been amazing. I stumbled upon these forums today and was excited to join and post some pics. I have already looked at many of the other posts and there really seems to be some beautiful dogs and great people on here so we are excited to be a part of it. Hopefully these pictures come out since this is my first time posting!

Cheers,
Nick & Christa - (Kylie & Mieka are the pups)

Two new Husky Pups saying hello Img_0511

Two new Husky Pups saying hello Kylie_10

Two new Husky Pups saying hello Kylie_11

Two new Husky Pups saying hello New_ho10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 1:56 am

Oh my god they are so cute! Welcome to our group. I don't want to come off on the wrong foot but the electric fence will not hold them in once they get older, they stay with you now cause they are still young. Glad you are working on the training now.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 am

Welcome! Very Happy ohmygosh they are so cute! Smile I grew up in East Islip on Long Island, but I moved to Wisconsin abotu 6 years ago

I'd be really careful with that fence, as they get older and their fur and prey drive get thicker and stronger, it won't contain them anymore. I'd consider just getting a 6-7ft fence in.
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 am

omg they are adorable!!! cant wait to watch them grow! im with the rest of the "pack" fence wont hold them long :-( and are not OFF leash dogs. you will find this out LOL look around the site and read up on what is posted...lots of great info here
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

Welcome to the forum! I live in northern New York in the capital region, but my family is all from Staten Island and Connecticut Smile

Again, I hate to start off on this foot, but I have to agree. This is a very common misconception with huskies. They stay with you right now because they are young, as most puppies of any breed will do. However, in a couple of months they are going to be entering their teenage years and they will start to test you and rebel in ways they have never done before. The electric fence WILL NOT hold them in a few months, so I would look into getting 6 ft privacy fencing or stockade fencing.

Huskies are normally surrendered between 7 months to a year. Soon you will begin to see why. They start off as cute little fluff balls with the best behavior and then turn into rebellious crazy dogs lol Smile

Please don't let that scare you though! Your pups are gorgeous and that's what we're here for Smile We're here to help! Welcome again!

Two new Husky Pups saying hello Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SLV829
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks everyone for the responses! As for the electric fence we have heard they don't work great with huskies but this is hopefully just temporary. The house we moved into already had one installed so we just had to buy the collars. Plus we never let them out without one of us being out there with them. However with that being said we hope to put in a real fence this spring.

Anyway thanks again for all the hellos and welcomes! All of your dogs are beautiful as well!
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:26 am

Very Beautiful Puppies !!!~
I LOve The Reds !!!! They are My All time FAv ~~
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:39 am

WOW 2 red girls! Love it!

Agree with the fencing but i'm not going to beat a dead horse lol It's nice the house already had it installed, they can be helpful in conjunction with a physical fence to prevent jumping/digging.

Welcome!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyfur
Newborn
Newborn
Huskyfur

Female Join date : 2010-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Welcome! They are very pretty girls! My husband and I will be looking at getting two husky puppies sometime next year (cross your fingers)...I've also grown up with many dogs, including a husky, but I've never had two puppies at the same time. I would be interested in updates concerning how they are bonding with you and your husband and each other and all the ups and downs of having two husky pups. Again: they're beautiful Smile
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 9:52 pm

OMG they are beautiful pups!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:02 pm

wow, they're soooooooooooooo cute!!!! I have to give you props on having 2 at the same time! We have a 4month old male and he is definitely a hand full! My poor 4yr old female is taking most of the beating from him though. When we 1st got him she did NOT like him and she attacked him a few times, but now it seems that the tables are turning a bit..lol. Good luck with these 2 beautiful girls and I agree...in a few months...they'll be pretty crazy...still sweet, but crazy!!! No worries though once you get through that stage they calm down a bit....just a bit Wink
Back to top Go down
SLV829
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 am

Huskyfur wrote:
Welcome! They are very pretty girls! My husband and I will be looking at getting two husky puppies sometime next year (cross your fingers)...I've also grown up with many dogs, including a husky, but I've never had two puppies at the same time. I would be interested in updates concerning how they are bonding with you and your husband and each other and all the ups and downs of having two husky pups. Again: they're beautiful Smile

I wish you the best of luck in getting them next year. They are a lot of work and there have been times where we look at each other and wonder what we were thinking but overall it is def worth it!

We have always had multiple dogs at the same time growing up so we knew eventually we would wind up with two so we figured why not do it right from the start. Plus when we picked them out one would cry when you took her away from her sister so we couldn't leave with just one. For the most part they are on a very close schedule right from the beginning so when we take one out the other always comes and usually goes at the same time. Same goes for feeding and everything else that comes with taking care of them so while it is def more work having two puppies at once its not that much more than having just one.

As far as bonding with us they are actually becoming more sweeter and interested in us as time goes on. In the beginning they def were a lot closer with each other than they were with us and while that is still true they give us bigger "hellos" and more affection each day. We like having two also because they always have a playmate. My fiance Christa's brother and his wife got a lab puppy a month before us so they are very close in age. We often take our pups over to play with the lab puppy and he has sooo much more energy because he doesnt get a chance to run around and play as often as ours constantly do with eachother. So the lab puppy is always running around causing trouble in the house and never just sitting where as ours just lounge around and sit with us when they are not playing with eachother. I know a lot of that has to do with the individual personalties and energy level of the puppy but in general I think the two of them do tire each other out which is great.

So overall I think if we just had one husky, she probably would bond a little closer with us but for us personally the good far outweighs the bad and we wouldn't trade them for the world. Since they are sisters they are very similar but they also each have their own little personality and quirks which makes it fun. Also it is amazing to just sit back and watch them play and learn from each other. It is scary how smart they are at such a young age and what they learn to do-both good and bad from each other.

If there are any other questions you had feel free to ask any time. I hope to post updates as they get older but we love talking to other people who have them or are interested in them so anything we can share we will. Again best of luck in your search!

-Nick and Christa
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 am

Cute pups! I just got a second puppy myself. My first husky is 10 months old and we decided to get her a playmate. So far so good. They really do like playing with eachother.

Two new Husky Pups saying hello Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two new Husky Pups saying hello   Two new Husky Pups saying hello Empty

Back to top Go down

Two new Husky Pups saying hello

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1