It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Thinking about getting a husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Future husky owner
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-09-29

Thinking about getting a husky Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 10:48 am

Hey guys my name is Alfredo im thinking about getting another dog and it might be a husky. Anyone know a reputable Husky breeder in Atlanta ?
I have a 6.5 old GSD atm. I'd take any advice, anything i need to know about having a husky pls share.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 12:57 pm

My suggestion would be to do as much research as you can. May it be reading a bunch of threads here (the search tab can answer many questions) Or buy some e-books or physical books from Amazon about owning a husky.

Huskies need specific owners that are willing to sacrifice their time and needs for the needs of their dog. It is like constantly owning a 2-3 year old toddler for 15-18 years.
They are destructive, loud, rough, energetic, stubborn, independent, really hairy and shed a lot, need a ton of exercise and mental stimulation, after the age of 1 they need lots of running, most of them need specific types of food, subject to many vet visits from health issues, pretty much anyway that you have ever gone about training a dog, a husky requires 3 times as much.

Don't get me wrong though I am not trying to tell you the bad quirks so you don't get one, I just want you to see an honest description of what you are getting yourself into.

Huskies are sweet, beautiful, smart, great as a family dog, great with kids, fun to be around, will give you a reason to smile everyday (or laugh), they will pretty much be the embodiment of "Man's best friend, but only if I feel like it.".... All the quirks become worth it after you see these things.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Lucy is right on. I will add, imho, they are as smart as a gsd, but they are more stubborn, get bored easier. There will be days a husky will learn faster, then other days act as if you never taught them how to sit, for example. I do think a gsd first is a good fit for a husky second, training may be slightly easier. Your gsd better be energetic, and active though, because huskies are always puppies at heart. My girl is almost 2 and plays with 2 huskies who are 3 and 4 years old, and they all act like crazy puppies with boundless energy. Even after 2 hours of hard play and a quick nap , my girl is ready to play hard again.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 1:49 pm

I have a shepherd mix and 2 huskies. I actually believe my shepherd mix in her younger years was more energetic then I have experienced with my huskies so far. It likely depends on the dog. The biggest difference I have found between my mix and huskies is the stubborness and the need for positive and NILF training.

My shepherd just always seemed to care more about listening to me. Also, huskies are not reliable off leash and from my experience seem to have a higher prey drive if you have smaller animals. My shepherd is reliable offleash and has been from many years and her prey drive seemed to be managed much easier with training.

My shepherd mix barks when people come to the house and my huskies just watch. They do not alert at all. If someone broke in my house, they would probably continue doing what they do or play with the person.

In the end, I opted to get another husky when adding a third dog instead of a shepherd. The big reason is their stubborness makes me laugh without frustrating me most the times. I like they don't bark at everything. I also have a fenced in yard and don't really mind having dogs that need to be leashed. So don't take everything people are saying as bad, just huskies and shepherds are different.
Back to top Go down
Future husky owner
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes i have read about how huskies can be stubborn. Its not that they dont get it its just that dont care to follow . I have 7 hours window in the morning i can spend with the dogs . I normally spend 2-3 hours out of those 7 jours then about an hour at night after work. I normally take my GSD for a 30-45 mins walk in the morning around 7 am , sometime we walk to my co worker place 6 minutes away by foot . He has a GSD/husky mix with infinite energy. Usually we stop when my GSD is done and getting cranky lol. Then we go out again around 11 am to a dog park or just play fetch near my apartment .... Yes you heard right i live in an apartment. We stay about 1 hour at the park. The thing is my GSD is my shadow we do barely use leash... Solid recall and he never further than 10 feet away from me unless we are plAying fetch. Do you guys think the husky puppy will learn from my GSD since dogs are pack animals ? Or my GSD will learn from the husky ? Lol. And is it possible to have a husky in an apartment if exercised enough ? Also my fiancee would come home 2 hours after i leave to work so they dont really stay in the crate all that long. My GSD sleep outside crate at night since 3 months old. Last question for now...http://www.bestakcpups.com what do u guys think about this breeder ? Thanks for the reply
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 4:04 pm

A few people here have them in apartments with no problems as long as they are thoroughly exercised.
I would look into and breed restrictions in your building though as many discriminate.

To me that breeder looks good online, but I would call them and ask if you can visit their facilities first.

Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 4:10 pm

I am not going to lie, there is possibility for huskies to obtain what would seem flawless recall. Unfortunately, even a husky that has such rare recall still has the risk of running off after prey, or loud noises or distractions in general. It takes lots of time training and working recall into them, and sometimes even using the right methods still doesn't get them to listen or obey to come back.

I would say that it is a great thing they won't be alone too long because of the work schedules between you and your fiancee. Generally, huskies can last up to 8 hours in the crate alone. (not puppies, I mean after potty training and a little bit of age, like 8-10 months) So if you are intending on getting a puppy the 2 hours is perfect because puppies usually need to go out ever 2 hours.

Apartment life for a husky can be tricky. A lot of people have difference in opinions with this topic, but personally I say with proper exercise and outlets to tire them out, apartments are no problem. I would first check with the apartment breed rules, some of them list husky as a breed they won't accept. Also I would talk to your surrounding neighbors and make them aware you are getting a husky and to give you some time for crate training and house breaking... (generally huskies cry A LOT when crate training and neighbors make noise complaints as a result)

About the breeder you ask about, their website doesn't really give me any red flags, they seem legit, of course I didn't really go through and fine tooth comb it... but it looks like a really good one to me.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 4:53 pm

There's a thread called "looking At Breeders, from 2013, that listed that breeder as not so good, my 2 cents, and maybe they have changed, however I am leery of a breeder that breeds more than just huskies, that's imho. Please check the thread before going to that breeder.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 5:53 pm

I didn't see that they bred more than one breed! How many others because two is okay sometimes but more than two I would stay away from them then that is one of the checklist no-no's... Here let me give you my favorite checklist.

Typed *Yes I just typed all this nonsense haha* Directly from "Siberian Huskies for Dummies"
A quality breeder specializes in ONLY one up to maybe two breeds

A quality breeder has puppies for sale only occasionally, not every day of the year, and especially not specifically for the holidays- Many breeders will not even sell a puppy around the holidays, precisely because people tend to buy pups as presents for people who may not be prepared to care for them.

A quality breeder makes their kennel available for viewing- The Kennels should be clean, comfortable, and odor-free. The puppies should be kept safe in a whelping box.

A Quality breeder has developed a breeding plan with the goal of producing high quality Siberians.

A quality breeder has well socialized dogs and puppies- The dogs and puppies interact well with you and with each other.

A quality breeder does not sell inexpensive dogs. A good pet-quality puppy will cost in range of $450-$500. If you think you may like to show your dog, expect to pay even more.

Quality breeders have people waiting in line for their dogs- Six months or more is not unreasonable time to have to wait for a puppy. Just think how much you can learn about Siberians in that period.

Quality breeders will not sell puppies before they are at least 8-9weeks old. Breeders who are showing or racing may keep pups longer, because they are trying to evaluate the litter for show or sled potential.

Quality breeders have healthy puppies. The puppies should have been vet checked, and vaccinated. The sire (father) and dam (mother) should have been screened for genetic diseases. In particular, they should be certified by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) with a minimum rating of "good." They should also have had recent eye checks and be certified by the Canine Eye Registration Foundation (CERF) or the Siberian Husky Ophthamologic Registry (SHOR), with a rating of "clear." The eye checks are very important in huskies. Make sure you see this paperwork; don't just take the breeder's word for it.

Quality breeders are actively engaged in showing or racing, and they should have ribbons to prove it- They are involved in their local Siberian Husky Club. If you don't have a recommendation, ask for the name and phone numbers of other people who bought puppies from the breeder. Then call them to see how their dogs turned out.

Quality Breeders provide and AKC registration paper, often referred to as a blue slip.
a pedigree is the family history of your puppy. It should go back three generations, but you can apply (for a fee) for a longer one, if you want.

One or both parents of your puppy should be champions or winning sled dogs. If they aren't find out why. If you are buying a sled dog, find out what his parents have accomplished. (The AKC does not currently provide titles for sled dogs, so it won't be recorded on the pedigree.) The Siberian Husky Club of America, however, does grant titles: SD for Sled Dog, SDX for Sled Dog Excellent, and SDO for Sled Dog outstanding.
The initials Ch. in front of a dog's name means it is AKC champion. CD (Companion Dog),
CDX (Companion Dog Excellent), or UD (Utility Dog) after the name means the dog has an obedience title. If you see a UDX (Utility dog Excellent) in the family history be very surprised. Only a handful of Siberians have achieved that level. TD (Tracking Dog), TDX (Tracking dog Excellent), and VST (Variable Surface Tracking) are tracking titles. NA (Novice agility), OA (Open Agility), AX (Agility Excellent) are just a few of the Agility titles that a dog can earn. Sledding titles are not part of a dog's AKC registration.

Having both Parents on the premises is not necessarily a sign of a good breeder. It may just mean that the seller owns two dogs of opposite sexes; it's no guarantee of quality. Breeders frequently outcross to a particular sire who may live across the country. Some of the best bred dogs are the result of artificial insemination  or a long-distance liaison. The breeder should be able to provide you with a photo of the sire, however. (the dam should obviously be on the premises.) Take a good look at her, but don't be alarmed if she is a bit bald. Sometimes the hormonal changes that come with pregnancy produce this effect. The puppies should all have hair though.

Quality Breeders will interview you. Although you may find some of the breeder's questions intrusive, a good breeder is only trying to choose the best home for their puppies.

Quality Breeders will have a purchase agreement for you to sign. don't be surprised if the breeder requires that you spay or neuter your husky as part of the deal. That's the breeder's way of making sure that only his very to-of-the-line dogs will be out there propagating. Keep an eye on your growing husky. If you think you may have a show quality dog after all, call the breeder to evaluate him/her for you.

Quality breeders will agree to take a puppy back who doesn't work out.

Most quality breeder raise their puppies in the household.

Quality breeders provide more information than you can absorb. Most of them will chat on and on about their breeding goals. Learn what you can, but make sure anything really important be given to you in writing.

A Quality breeder will stay in touch, long after the puppy is yours.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 pm

Honestly if you are wanting a breed with flawless recall, I think huskies in general are not a good breed particularly in a urban environment. I knew one person who had a husky he walked offleash, but he was constantly watching and always had a leash ready. This was for a dog that had been trained a few hundred commands and was around 8 years old. Even that dog couldn't be trusted in various scenarios. I am not sure how GSD would influence, but I can say my shepherd mix ran off once with my lab. My lab didn't have good recall and she followed him when the gate was left open. There is a chance the husky could influence the GSD.
Back to top Go down
Future husky owner
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks for the long reply lilith. Jessica to be honest im not looking another puppy for obedience or show . I just want a family pet and a damn good looking one . Husky definitely one very good looking dog. I have always wanted a GSD and a husky. Sometime i see huskies that are bigger and i know they are not malamute. Is it bad to look for the bigger ones ? Will there be more health problem ? The dog park i go to there is 1 very handsome and very athletic . He stand around 27 inches ish.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Okay, I've spent over an hour looking at their web site and I'm not impressed:

1. As others have noted they also breed Shiba Inu's (okay, close to Sibes) and also Mini Dachshunds (I thought all Dachshunds were minis).  Suggest that they're in it for the breeding $$$$
  2. They've changed their name, at some point, from Aruff.com to BestAKCPups.com; they're using their names to advertise a generality.  I'd look for something like Lakota Siberian Kennels or Karnovanda Kennels ( NB I am not suggesting either of these, just the name indicates a more professional approach. )
  3. Speaking about professional, one thing that attracts my attention is a web site that is intelligently put together.  They've obviously put a lot of time and effort into theirs but it still smacks of amateur.  It's not organized, grammar is often atrocious and spelling is often worse (spell checkers are all too common, and way too handy!)
  4. They currently have six!! litters of Siberian pups available.  And they also breed Dachs and Shibas?  Figure 4 pups per litter at $2000 per pup - they're looking at $48,000 from just their Sibes assuming that's only one litter per bitch per year.
  5. They claim a relationship with the BBB but are doing business as Aruff Ranch, Inc  They've only had one complain it the 8 years they've been in business in Ackley, but it's worth a read.
  6. They claim their pups are registerable with the AKC but never list their kennel name nor the pedigree of any of their pups.
  7. Their email address is from their provider (eot.com) extremely unprofessional.
  8. One more thing to add.  They justifiably claim copyright to their web site - but they don't know how to put up a legal copyright notice. 

I realize that almost everything I've mentioned is about their web site not about the dogs.  But if I'm going to go looking for something, electronics to pets I really want to do business with a professional.

While the conditions in which their dogs are kept seems to be impressive I see too many questionable or negatives for me to consider buying from them.

I'll get slapped for this but FutureHuskyOwner, if your primary reason for wanting a Husky is that they're a damned good looking dog - please get another GSD or a Lab.  I've seen too many people who have gotten the dog for its looks and in less than 6 months the dog's in "shelter" waiting to be put down.  They are definitely not the breed for everyone!
Back to top Go down
Future husky owner
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Aljones tyvm for the awesome post, for 1 hour of your time . I wont be slapping anyone just because you care. I know some people also get GSD just because they are well german shepherds ... Its cool to have one. But im mostly looking for additional furry family members. I didnt just wake up this morning and decide to get a husky cause its cool to have a wolf looking dog... Right ? Thats what happen sometime. People want a husky cause they look like a wolf but not willing to put up the work.  Im not looking to race or do shows with my husky . Basically im looking to add another pack member and i choose husky cause their look. Im also willing work it out with them. Im also an active person who love to be outdoor with family including my dogs. English is not my first language pls excuse the mistakes.

Added note : By the way if i proven not suitable to own a husky then i would not get one.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 9:18 pm

That is fine. I would just keep a husky on a leash to be safe especially if you are not spending a huge amount of time in obediance.

If fetch is a good amount of your exercise, a lot of huskies do not play fetch. My dog Loki loves it and I think he picked it up from my shepherd mix, but my other dog ichigo even with 2 dogs playing fetch wants little to do with it. A husky who plays fetch is not that common from what I understand.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a reputable breeder with a husky that size. My rescue Loki is 27" tall (he was about 6 months in my sig pic), but he is not close to breed standard. If I was bent on a very tall husky, I would personally opt for a rescue adult husky whose size is more known. Even when I adopted Loki, he was all legs and it was pretty clear he would turn out tall.
Back to top Go down
Future husky owner
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Loki is very handsome . How big is he now ? My GSD is also over the standard he is 6.5 months atm 27" 64.4 lbs. Very mellow inside the house but very happy and active outdoor. The only thing that druve me nuts is i cant even pee in peace... He is my shadow. At the dog park i kept getting bumped by the dogs cause he always have to wrestle right next to me.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Great advice everyone, sorry i was away and couldn't respond to Lucy's question, but Al did a great job for me, lol. Btw, that breeder was breeding Doberman's back in 2013 and then mysteriously switched to Dachshunds. $2000 is more money than some of the best show line huskies out there and these huskies are no where near that quality.

Alfredo, please use the search here and type in breeders and read, many members here have pointed out the bad ones and also list the good ones.

In perspective my girl is from a byb, back yard breeder, a step down, but honestly not that big of a step from the said breeder we are talking about, although my girl is the result of a byb, the only good thing is they didn't over breed, to me that is absolutely the worse. The result with the byb, is that Miya is not at all breed standard, at almost 2 years she is taller at around 23 inches, heavier at 65 pounds, and look at her ears, although gorgeous to me she is still not breed standard, I know nothing of what her health will be. Please if you get a husky either go to a rescue or an outstanding breeder.

Now on to the husky, I adore them, they are clever, funny, a handful at times and strong dedication to exercise and training and forever training is a must. I compared them to the gsd only to the fact that they are equally smart, in fact maybe smarter since a gsd wants to please you, where a husky wants to please themselves first, now if that means that pleasing themselves also pleases you great, but sometimes not so great. Calling them because you have a treat, they'll come, calling them because you want them in, but there's a squirrel up a tree not so much. My girl will plat fetch, but I seriously have to make it a game, or make it appear as though she is chasing something. Lastly, do not trust them with a couch, bed, anything with stuffing, particularly in the first year of life, they must know what's inside everything, crating is pretty much a must.
Back to top Go down
Future husky owner
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 11:30 pm

Thanks Miyas Momma. You have a beautiful girl. And yes i been reading alot thanks again.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Loki has topped out at about 27" as he is 1.5 years now. He is only 65lbs and I assume he will fill out some still. My boys are both pretty mellow in the house assuming they get a few hours of activity a day. They are kind of completely on and ready to go or passed out on the couch.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 12:08 am

Miya is pretty mellow now, not so much a year ago when she was almost 1. We have left her alone with the cat for about 2.5 hours, once, to test her, and she destroyed nothing, to our surprise, although the blankets and pillows were all mussed up, no destruction, and that was after about a 5 mile walk, about 3 months ago.
Back to top Go down
Future husky owner
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 6:13 am

Expensive test ? haha
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 9:36 am

If you want to see some expensive "tests" on what can happen when leaving a husky unattended before they are ready for it or if they are lacking the needed exercise, check out this thread:

What's the most expensive thing your husky has destroyed?

My girl is older. I rescued her when she was between 3 and 4 and she is pretty mellow as well most of the time. Counter surfing is something we struggle with but she hasn't torn the side out the couch or anything and she isn't crate trained. We have a young dog now and we went straight to crate training him and it has saved us a ton of money in destruction. If you are dedicated to exercise and learn to love the crate as much as your husky eventually will, you should do just fine.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a husky   Thinking about getting a husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about getting a husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1