It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Brag Moment...........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

My Brag Moment........... Empty
PostSubject: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 1:20 am

So today Miya, my hubby and myself went jeeping. Miya's fav thing to do now that the 4wheeler is gone. We went to her boyfriends and they played. Then our neighbor, his son, and 2 grand kids show up with a humongous deer blind, offered our assistance and we followed in the jeep. Now this is some rough country, some places are no more than a cow path. Miya was happy girl jeeping. So we get to the destination, and we sat while they positioned this deer blind, it's the size of a tiny cabin, lol. Neighbors grand kids are a little girl who is 5 years old and a little boy 10 years old. The little boy has MS, with many surgeries this incredible little guy can now walk, a little more than a year ago he had a wheel chair and crutches and leg braces. He walks gingerly, but he's a tough little boy. Miya is used to little kids in the brief hi's at Tractor Supply, she is in a controlled environment then. Today not so much, we never intended to go anywhere, so no leash and no transmitter for her e-collar.

I was a little worried she would knock one of them over, or just be a dog and take off playing. NOPE!! She happily went to the little girl and sat and hung out with her. Then little boy came over, he was pretty nervous, Miya is a big girl in his world, he asked me what type of dog was she and how he loved her ears, lol. I told him to let her sniff him and she sat wagging her tail and he had the biggest smile. So there was a little craziness going on with the other adults taking this "house" off the trailer, and I told Miya to sit next to Tyler and stay, she did just that. Then all HECK broke out, someone disturbed an extremely large bee hive and everyone just started scrambling......Here is my second part of proud, Miya was stung yet made sure that Tyler and myself got away from the chaos and mad bees.

Miya never freaked out even when everybody else was. Miya protected Tyler, she never met him, never seen anyone with a disability, yet stayed by his side. When it was all said and done and the 2 little ones were back in their pick up, she immediately hopped in and gave kisses and said goodbye.

I know many dogs are trained in high stressed situations, Miya has not. I know many dogs are trained to help people with disabilities, again Miya has not. I'm sharing, because I've never have had nor seen such a dog respond so well to such a situation as we had tonight, except for my hiking accident, but that was pretty controlled since it was only me and hubby that time. Huskies and dogs are truly amazing. I'm so proud of my girl.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 1:48 am

Miya is awesome, she really is Smile

Now, for those of us who live in the city (or just me, haha) what is a deer blind?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:01 am

Lol, It's a little building that hold hunters with side windows to stick their gun or bow out, this one can hold about 4 adults easily.Not a dumb question, when I lived in NY people use deer stands which is an open platform high up a tree.

Thank you btw. I need a camera/video, because it's hard for me to explain her uncanny abilities she possess... She can be a typical husky, but there are times, she is super husky, lol. I know I've done an immense amount of training with her, but you never know if you've done right until something happens.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:22 am

Oh wow...kinda sucks for the deer then Sad

Would love to see a vid of Super Miya!!! Wink she just seems like the coolest dog

thank you for explaining it to me Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:34 am

Yes sucks for the deer and turkeys, etc. but for many people around here and across the US it's food for the family for the winter. We see deer everyday, all year long, I have hit 2 deer at the same time one night, there are too many, so it helps in controlling deer population and it helps families who can use the extra food. Lastly, many hunters donate their deer to feed the poor, which is a necessity, too many American children go hungry every night, this helps. I hope I shed some light on hunting it's not as terrible as many think.

Super Miya, lol, I love her so much, she is a very special friend to me, thank you again. And someday I'll get a vid.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:51 am

Turkeys too!!! Sad ...I DO realize its a necessity Renee, its part of life and its not like I can talk, just because I'm not hunting the animal, doesnt make me less "guilty" (wrong choice of words I know but...im tired) than the hunter. I like to have my bacon and cheeseburgers every once in awhile.

BUT...those who hunt wolves...NOBODY will ever get me to understand the reasoning behind it, EVER.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:11 am

Renee, that must have been awesome to watch her do so well with the kids and not completely lose it with the bees. Good on you both ....

Jimmy, have you ever seen what's left of a calf or three or an old cow when a pack of wolves or coyotes or feral dogs get done with them?? There's a time and place for everything in nature.  If the predators are left unchecked then they can decimate a herd - whether it's a herd of deer or a herd of cattle is small matter. Regrettably (??) we've gone long past the time that nature can monitor itself and when a pack decide to kill, there's not a lot of choice.  I'm not intending to start a flame war just there are other sides to their beauty ....
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:13 am

I'm impressed! and extremely happy! You should be very proud of her.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:45 am

Good for Miya!

I wonder if those were africanized bees?

I thought we were the only people to hit 2 deer in one day (in the early morning, an hour apart, all within 2 miles of the house Mad ) All told, I think we are up to 13-14 deer hits. Have a car in the shop with 8K deer damage at the moment. Deer around here are definitely food for the winter for many people. And the herd is way to populous, without hunting, there would be a lot more starvation if its a tough winter.
Back to top Go down
Barczewska
Puppy
Puppy
Barczewska

Female Join date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:46 am

She just sounds amazing!

It always surpises me how gentle Kesler is with kids...he is quite rambunctious with adults so I get worried when kids come around, but he is always so gentle and caring.

Sending Miya some proud-ness pets!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Why Thank You all!! I've always been impressed with how responsive she is with training, I just never thought it would work in a high stressed situation.

In total hubby was stung once, the two neighbor guys a few times and my neighbor lady 6-8 times, Miya I believe got stung in the face she was pawing at it, however when I called her to Tyler and myself she ignored it and walked with us, the two kids and myself never were stung. Amy I'm not sure the hive was one of the largest any of us had seen, me and the kids walked where as the other adults ran and followed them to almost a football field length.

The two deer I hit were at the exact same time did $23 dollars worth of damage, had to replace front headlight. We placed a deer guard on the front of my truck and a deer whistle, swear deer run away from me now vs at me, lol. In the 4 years here have hit a total of 3 deer on 2 occasions. Although on one strange night we hit an owl(my truck is a bird magnet over deer,lol), about 5 miles later a deer side swiped us, and about 5 miles later a heard of feral hogs came across highway and we nicked one.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Was the nest in the ground, in a tree trunk or hanging from a tree?

First is ground bees, AKA yellow jackets (really nasty, they can sting more than once), in a tree trunk, probably honey bees - they don't usually attack in force unless africanized (Texas has them, we don't, too far north) or hornets in paper nest hanging like a big elongated ball (they can be nasty, too.)

Feral hogs?!!? Ugh - we have 1 or 2 colonies in New York State - understand they are very nasty and not to be messed with.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Amy, kinda weird with the bees in an old log on the ground, I didn't get close enough to observe, however they all yelled bees, if the were anything else they would have yelled wasps or some such, africanized are around, however, I didn't see the swarm, that's why I was guessing honey, they did chase , but no huge swarm. This particular place has a herd of cattle, and saw fresh cow plops, lol, if they were africanized don't you think the cows would have disturbed? I understand they will attack in a swarm, in town a couple years ago a pitt was attacked by africanized and killed him, poor guy had hundreds of stings.

Hogs, yes and there are hundreds of colonies across Texas. They are mean, nasty, disease prone, and worse they are hard to kill and eradicate. A few years ago a guy shot one, took several rounds to bring it down, it weighed close to 900 pounds. Miya is about 6 months old in pic, hog is young and small, took 3 rifle rounds to bring it down, their skin is quite thick and they just keep on going.

My Brag Moment........... Miya_n15
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Jimmy and Al, no flame wars, I'm sure all will agree, that nature happens. we watched a Nat geo wild last night She Wolf of Yellowstone. I am a nature lover and wish that no wolves, coyotes or even Mountain Lions, Bobcats and Cougars are not killed. However, it's a fact of life. When food is meager predators will kill, we do it, your family is hungry go out and shoot a deer and you feed your family. Wolves and other predators are the same, it's instinct, they do what they do to survive. However, one cow is worth thousands of dollars to the rancher, if a predator kills it, that rancher lost money, it's their lively hood, they depend on the cow to either feed or support his family. Here in Texas coyotes are the big problem, one coyote can kill a large sheep with ease. I was stunned when I first moved here and seen coyotes hanging over a fence(this occurs almost monthly around here), I was shocked, why would someone kill a coyote, until I realized that coyote could kill a sheep and keep coming back for easy food. This year hasn't been as bad, we've had a lot of rain this summer, they can hide farther out and find food that is not a ranchers. The years before, we were in such a drought, there was no food, so they came in to kill livestock. I'm not sure where exactly this next pic was taking, it was caught on a deer cam somewhere here in west Texas.....The pic of Miya and the wild hog was taking out in my neighbors 400 acres that we hike, if you look closely that female hog has tusks, they will gorge you to death, they are a menace to ranchers because they dig huge mud troughs and cattle can potentially break their legs, they also carry and can leave disease, especially in water tables, so if you are a rancher and use a well your water can be contaminated.

My Brag Moment........... Kitty_10

I'm a lover of all cats and dogs, big and small, wild or domesticated. That buck is the size of average adult male human, just think what it could do to a cow, sheep, husky or you. we can not fence off and contain wild cats and dogs. Quite frankly, there's not enough food to go around for wild cats, dogs and humans. I know you love your bacon and hamburger once in awhile, but if we didn't control wild life, beef prices would be even higher. Jimmy I know you're going to be shocked, but, we even eat dove here, it currently is dove season, although small, a few dove would feed me, my hubby, Miya and our cat, knowing that if I got my 15 limit for the day would feed all 4 of us, if God forbid something happened, makes me rest better at night.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 3:47 pm

It's amazing how our dogs can usually get their act together better than we can sometimes, even better when their timing is perfect.

About every other year we hunt coyote. We try to keep the population a manageable size so they don't over eat their natural food source and turn on our calves and even the family dog. My old black dog went several rounds with four coyotes in the front yard. Luckily he's a beast and they didn't get him, but once they start coming up to the house it's too dangerous.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 4:39 pm

They do impress us at the strangest of times, lol. Funny, little guy was in disbelief when I told him she was a husky, he's used to Miya's bf, when putting the 2 together Miya doesn't really resemble Zeke and vice versa, so for a young person, I'm sure it was omg, that's a coyote or wolf, lol. Those 2 little ones were picture perfect kids, yes mam to me, quiet, stayed where told. I had a really great time with them. Tyler is going to be a great cowboy too, he had on his stetson hat and his huge belt buckle, it was truly refreshing.
Back to top Go down
trbomax
Puppy
Puppy
trbomax

Male Join date : 2014-08-28

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 12:10 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
Miya is awesome, she really is Smile

Now, for those of us who live in the city (or just me, haha) what is a deer blind?

up here its a pickup with several halqen hand held spotlights in the bed with two rednecks w/o teeth shineing them around on each side of the dirt road while a third redneck w/o teeth shoots at the deer that have been "blinded" by the light!
Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

Female Join date : 2014-07-17

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 1:24 am

Wow! Way to go Miya! I'm glad you all made it out okay! That picture of the mountain lion with the deer is incredible! Did you take it?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 1:57 am

No a friend of a friend had deer cams on a deer hunting lease and e-mailed to show us what was out there. The pic is amazing though......Thank you, I really don't think Miya got stung, it was all the adults, lol, us kids(me, 2 kids and Miya) were fine. I've been looking at Miya all day and can not see anything wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Brag Moment...........   My Brag Moment........... Empty

Back to top Go down

My Brag Moment...........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1