It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My puppy is more excited with others

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

My puppy is more excited with others Empty
PostSubject: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Anytime anyone else comes over she seems way more excited to see them vs me when I come home. Am I doing something wrong? Bandit is 3 1/2months old
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Sounds perfectly normal to me; "Daddy's home, I guess I'd better behave ..." and "Oh, company, let's see what I can get away with with them!"
You're at the right time to put a stop to the "excitement" not everyone wants a dog (and in some eyes, a *big* dog) all over them. It's time to teach set, stay and let them introduce themselves as they want to. I've got people who come by (our FedEx lady for one) who'll play with Avalanche every time she stops here ... and as a true Husky, he can get rough!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 pm

It's not anything you're doing wrong. My two get nutty when someone different comes over. It's exciting to deviate from the normal for them. It's like when you were a kid and you would get excited when a cousin would come over but not when your parents might get home. You didn't love your parents less, it's just exciting to have company.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 pm

In my personal experience as well as being a regular member on here a Husky doesn't become your dog until over a year old, well into adolescence.

This is totally normal what you're experiencing, and coincidentally, will always be somewhat present and a big part of why they generally make terrible watch or guard dogs.

The ungrateful little devils show very little return for your efforts the first year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Jeff, I'm not sure that they *ever* become one persons dog. I've had labs and shepherds who were *my* dog (I was definitely *their* human!) My Alaskan is a fair watch dog, my Sibe would gladly go down the road with anyone who had a treat in his hand, I think.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Well I'm not claiming he has any monogamous loyalty to me as a Lab or Shepherd would or that I am always the most interesting thing to him, but Link is definitely My dog.  Our companionship is built on a mutual trust and respect so much so that he follows me off leash in the woods all the time.  

I don't delude myself about his loyalty or his drives, but I get him and he knows it.  

Your point is well taken.

All that said, Link is visibly way more excited to see just about anybody than he ever is with me, including my partner (a dude) and especially ladies.  Link loves women, a lot.  But that is also conditioning.

When my partner comes home and sees Link it's all EXCITEMENT and TALKING and PETTING and ON THE FLOOR HUGS and it's very...loud and raucous.  Link knows this and reciprocates.  When I get home I pretty much ignore him, no talking and no excitement.  I wait for him to get between my legs, lean, and look up, which he does all the time, and I calmly pet him.

Coincidentally, again, he's definitely My dog and he is my shadow off leash in the woods and will always choose me over my partner.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 10:58 am

Bugs me, too. We've had Ami for just over a year now (he's just 2-ish). Right from the start - anybody new, my son (absolutely adores him), my husband...all sorts of woo-woos (or rumble, rumble in Ami's basso profundo Laughing ). But me? Me who feeds him day in, day out, walks him no matter what the weather, plays with him...meh. I'm chopped liver, I guess. Barely raises an eyebrow. The most I get is first thing in the morning - he'll roll over for a belly scratch. Or on walks, sometimes he stops, sits beside me and just leans in to have his ears rubbed.

The funny thing is - hubby tells me Mr. Dog is always following me with his eyes. If I leave a room, he gets up and follows me. If we are working outside and Ami is tethered nearby, if I temporarily leave, he paces until I get back (even though my husband is right there with him) - and there he is. Standing at full attention, looking in my direction. Until I get back, when he lies down as if he could care less. He also responds best to my commands (THAT drives hubby buggy Laughing ) We've actually developed an almost wordless communication - sort of half sign language, half...who knows what. Intuition? Mutual history together? I dunno. But we definitely read each other.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 1:39 am

Interesting, With Miya she loves girly women, if you're a guy she's never met hair stands up and she is cautious until she gets enough of a smell, then she's good. She adores her uncle Justin, our friend she literally will fly into his arms, cries, wiggles and is just a crazy dog, after much petting then she proceeds into zoomies. People she knows she gets excited and jumps up says hi and she's done. I've never been at all upset with her behavior towards others, she is a very social husky.

When it comes to me and hubby, different story. She wiggles and cries, not as much as uncle, but will do zoomies and has to get her pets in. With me, I'm only gone a couple of hour twice a week to get groceries and such. She sit and waits for me, no big hellos, more interested in the treats I've obtained for her. It use to make me think she liked everybody more than me. I think differently, she's with me 24/7/365, I'm not exciting and different. Miya responds to me differently compared to my husband as well, he's the fun guy, I'm the feeder, trainer, discipliner. Like Jeff, and I do not recommend this to anyone with a husky, we walk off leash and she's by my side, she is my shadow, she follows me everywhere, she gets ahead of me she turns and looks and waits for me. Probably to much dismay of my husband, and he may not realize it, nor does he give me credit for it, Miya is my dog. I rarely have to ask her twice to do something, I can request commands of her in a calm, normal toned voice, not so for my husband.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 pm

https://youtu.be/_urcMDcTuZ4

Well finally she is more excited to see me than others lol this has been going on for about two days, she is left home for about 4hrs twice a day cause I live so close to workI can come home on breaks. This goes on for 10mins if I don't stop it. She really does love me ahahaha anyone else have greetings like this? Pretty normal for a puppy?
Back to top Go down
MattnSparty311
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 11:06 am

Spartacus is just over 3 years old. I am college student and have had him since he was old enough to adopt. He is definitely my son. Every summer I come home to live with my parents so I can work at a local restaurant cause the money is awesome. Needless to say they are true grandparents and they spoil Spartacus. It is a daily occurrence that I deal with what you all deal with. Spartacus respects me the most, follows my commands, but when I come home from work or just being out in general, he's no where to be found. Whereas my parents can just step outside and come back in 30 seconds later and he comes flying to the door. Honestly, it sucks. Its frustrating, the last few days have been particularly hard. My parents, always tell me how much he misses me when I am gone and how he's super restless until I get home. It just sucks that it seems the complete opposite whenever I am actually home. Being the owner/leader is a double edge sword. You have his respect and he does love you. But on the other hand his excitement levels for others will always be higher than it is with you. It gets frustrating but I guess the best thing to do is remind yourself that BECAUSE he doesn't get super excited for you means he actually loves and respects you the most.
Back to top Go down
gretalutsen
Teenager
Teenager
gretalutsen

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 11:25 am

Yes she's just excited that someone new is coming over! So fun for them Smile

On a side note has anyone ever experienced your husky getting MORE excited to see when when they've only been in their crate for a short period as opposed to a work day? I swear when I come home from work Lutsen lets out a little howl but then he does to the bathroom outside we go for a walk its all good. If i put him in his crate to run an errand and come back after 30 minutes he is almost SCREAMING and tails wagging frantically! Maybe it's because they're usually a little sleepy once you come home 6 hours later as opposed to just have to wait for you for a mere hour? I'm not sure...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 am

My boy, when he is crated, is always up for the pleasant surprise of getting out early. Like college kids getting let out of lecture a half hour early and don't know what to do with the rest of the time, but oh the possibilities.

Teenager
Teenager
gretalutsen

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 12:09 pm

TwisterII wrote:
My boy, when he is crated, is always up for the pleasant surprise of getting out early. Like college kids getting let out of lecture a half hour early and don't know what to do with the rest of the time, but oh the possibilities.

Jenn that's a perfect analogy thank you! Haha my favorite is when my sister or someone comes with me and asks "we are only going to the grocery store does he even need to be in his kennel?" oh if only they knew the tornado that these beautiful creatures can ensue within just minutes of being alone!
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 1:38 pm

I think I'm mostly on the opposite side of that situation... My hubby gets so frustrated when Mia and Luka get less excited to see him, than they do me. I think in our case it's that I leave half an hour earlier for work than he does, and don't get back until almost an hour later in the evenings. Plus-he gets to come home on lunches, so it's not quite as exciting for him to be coming home as it is for me.

As far as "my" dogs....Mia-bear is definitely Mine (although she's still super attached to the hubs). Luka...we're not sure of yet. He was supposed to be the hubbs dog since Mia is Mine....but he seems to be leaning towards me (I tend to have more of the "alpha" status in the household)... he absolutely SHRIEKS and throws a fit if I leave and don't say goodbye to him (he screamed so shrilly several times now that the alarm company called because he set off the glass breaks), but as long as I give him a goodbye pet he's all good (so not separation anxiety). He follows me everywhere...I don't remember the last time I was abelt o escape to the athroom without him plastering himself to the other side of the door. He is super defensive of me, as well. Oddly enough, he seems to be an awesome guard dog...but then he also plays fetch for HOURS so we're pretty sure our husky is defective. xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My puppy is more excited with others   My puppy is more excited with others Empty

Back to top Go down

My puppy is more excited with others

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1