It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New husky owner/dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LukeStapleton
Newborn
Newborn

New husky owner/dog Empty
PostSubject: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:56 am

Let me preface this post by saying I am not entirely new to Huskies. I had a roommate for several years that had a Husky in my younger days, a couple of my good friends have always had Huskies, so I am familiar with the breed and know what they are capable of, their personalities, etc.. HOWEVER, I have never had a husky of my own, until today.

I have had a dog of some breed since I was 12. I am a few years older than that now (let's leave it at I am more than 20 years older than that now). Today, I met a husky that I took home with me, in what is currently a foster situation. I won't bore you or try to write tear-jerker stories about why I have been without a dog for just over a month.

At first it looked like this kiddo (I will post a picture of him, good-looking guy), was heartworm positive, but on re-testing came up negative. So we're still not quite sure what came up positive on the pound's test, but something did. Could be something else, as he was picked up as a stray and nobody knows anything about him, we're going to put him on antibiotics to treat any infection/issues that could be going on in a few days after he has acclimated to my home and starts eating a little bit more. He's been in the pound, then the rescue, and now my house all in just over a month. He is about 3-5 years old as best can be estimated, so I'm going with 4 years old. Additionally, nobody now knows what his name is/was, so I am going with Thane, which means in old English, warrior or lord.

I can use some advice/suggestions/input on how to best acclimate him and settle him in. I have a large crate that I will keep him in whenever I am gone (I am a single guy, nobody else but me and Thane), but obviously need to get some additional toys. Very quickly after getting him here I started picking up on signs that he may have been abused before. It could be that he is still adjusting to me, but he gets scared if I move too quickly or stand up over him, things like that lead me to think, based on my past experiences with an abused dog, that he may have been mistreated also. Once this evening I just reached over (a little quickly, admittedly), to pet on his back and he immediately turned his head around to see what I was doing and kind of nipped at me.

Your thoughts, suggestions, ideas, will be welcomed. During this initial acclimation period I am planning to keep him in a crate when I leave the house, or sleep, but otherwise let him out when I am home and watching him while we figure each other out. Anything you have to help me get him to come out of his shell would be appreciated. He's obviously adjusting fairly well, he's already showing me his belly and asking for rubs, smiling a little bit when I do rub him, but hasn't really made much of a sound otherwise than a little bit of howling when my next-door neighbor's dog started barking when he realized that there was a dog on my side of the fence again.

I realize this is a different breed entirely, and understand they have their quirks and can be destructive at times. I don't need horror stories or "Oh, you better get ready for xyz". If it doesn't work out, fine, it doesn't, I'll take him back to the rescue to be placed in a better forever home than I can do. But, I want to provide that for him and don't WANT to do that, I've wanted a husky of my own for a long time, and could use some suggestions from all of you that have more experience than I have to help me be a more effective "parent" with a dog of this breed.

Sincerely,

Luke Stapleton
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 9:00 am

Does he always do the pull away and nip when you try and touch him or is it just sometimes? It could be very very possible that he was abused before, but sometimes koda does this and ive had him sincce he was 8 weeks and i never ever touched him like that. But i do notice when koda is hyper or just in one his moods he just doesnt like to be pet. And he does something similar to that in those situations. If you have a good local dog training place I would look into taking classes with him and ask tr trainer their opinion. Training with him will help you build trust with him and i also think that will help a lot. And he is new to you, over time i think he will get more comfy.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 am

My girl has been with me around a year and a half and will always turn and try to smash my hand with her head if I pet her back when she was initially looking away. Some dogs for whatever reason, she was a rescue too, would just rather you pet elsewhere. She prefers her belly or her neck scratched to her back. I second training together. It makes a world of difference in your bonding. Huskies are a quirky breed but a great one. You're going to make a great owner and it sounds like you are already on the right track. Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see pictures!

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 11:16 am

Glad you hopped on, Luke Smile

Brian knows of some good training companies around there, I definitely think that's something to look into. I think with the petting thing it's a combination of him not being used to you yet and possibly some place that he may not like to be pet. Ghost will do that to us sometimes to tell us she doesn't like whatever we're doing. She'll sort of yip and snap at us, but won't actually make contact. Take that as a sign to just go ahead and back off, and you'll gain his trust.

There's a lot of good info here and lots of people who've dealt with rescue dogs of unknown pasts. You guys will learn each other soon, and hopefully Thane will settle in nicely.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

New husky owner/dog 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
LukeStapleton
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks to all of you for your posts so far. Thane has adjusted SO much in just one night. The transformation overnight is almost astounding. Today he is running around, wanting to play, begging for attention and seems far less skittish than he did yesterday.

I agree with all of your posts suggesting some training, as that will obviously need to happen soon, and in a way that helps develop, not hinder, the trust between us. He does not shy away from my hand like he did yesterday, though when I saw him about to finish eating a pillow he had gotten ahold of yesterday and said "no" he tried to hide under the bed. Therefore, I'm not convinced yet that there isn't something abusive in his history. He's obviously going around and systematically testing his boundaries, sooner than I thought he would (which is a good sign of settling in I think). Thankfully I have a job I can work from home to do, so I am working at home today and keeping one ear open to what sounds are coming from another room.

I'll put some pictures up later today when I get them moved from my phone to the computer. Again, thanks for the advice and suggestions. Keep them coming!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 1:27 pm

I can not add anything more than what the others have said. I just wanted to thank you for giving Thane a chance for a loving forever home. The only thing I will add is the husky is a very communicative breed, he will tell you what he needs, and belly rubs are the best. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LukeStapleton
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
I can not add anything more than what the others have said. I just wanted to thank you for giving Thane a chance for a loving forever home. The only thing I will add is the husky is a very communicative breed, he will tell you what he needs, and belly rubs are the best. Very Happy

Thank you MiyasMomma. For the moment he is chilling out and napping, but all morning was, as you said, very communicative and clear about what he wanted and how he wanted it. Another sign of the settling in I believe, as yesterday he was very quiet and withdrawn, but today has been playful and running around, wagging his tail, and appears to have decided at some point that "This strange guy just might be ok."

Thanks again for the encouragement!
Back to top Go down
LukeStapleton
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 pm

New husky owner/dog IMG_09221_zpsca67eb26

New husky owner/dog IMG_09261_zps8e2a0b3d

New husky owner/dog IMG_09271_zpsda593563

Here's the pics as promised!  A few days later than I had hoped to get them up, but finally did!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 11:53 pm

That's a good sign that he's sleeping on his back already Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

New husky owner/dog 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Luke,

Just wanted to say a big welcome and thanks for giving Thane a good chance Smile
I have a wee suggestion for the nippy behavior when you go to pat him. There way be a chance that he has been roughly handled by the collar and that is what is making him wary and nippy when you approach the back of his neck. Easiest way I have found to work around it is play the collar game or a variation of it.
Find his favorite treat and have a few pieces in one hand. with your other hand reach out and make contact with the back of his neck (if he is collar reactive touch the collar) treat and mark him accepting your touch, be really enthusiastic so he knows he did awesome. The first few times approach from the front so he sees what you are doing then gradually work up to being able to handle him at random approaching from behind with no reaction from him. It might take weeks but it is a great trust building exercise. It is basically teaching him that nothing but good things come from you patting him there or touching his collar so he doesn't have to react to it.
Its a exercise I get all people to do with their dogs in my classes and even though it takes time to build the trust it has always had positive results Smile
Good luck he really is a good looking boy
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

Female Join date : 2014-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 am

I just wanted to say welcome, Luke! I think it's great that you have rescued Thane. That is an awesome name, BTW! Anyway, I think you have made some excellent observations. It definitely gives you something to work with. I haven't read the other replies yet, but I'm sure you will get some good advice here. I am new here and still waiting for our first Siberian, but the first thing that comes to mind is to talk to a trainer and see if they have any advice for you, or maybe some classes you could take, to help ease this transition. I hope everything works out well for you and Thane. And if you ever want to share that tear jerking story, I am more than willing to listen, as I'm sure many people here would be, as well. Can't wait to see some pics! Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

Female Join date : 2014-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 2:00 am

Aww, just scrolled through and saw the pics Thane is a handsome boy! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner/dog   New husky owner/dog Empty

Back to top Go down

New husky owner/dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1