It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jamesnmistyjo
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-10-25

Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? Empty
PostSubject: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 am

Hi everyone, so this is my first post and I could use some advice or just hear about some experiences others have had with their Huskies.

Little back story, we brought Harley home about 9 months ago (he's 10 months now) and have loved every minute! It has been exciting and educating owning a Husky. With that we have had a lots of ups and downs. He is so smart and goes from sweet to stubborn really quickly. We have learned so much from trainers and things are great. We decided to find a playmate for Harley since we do work and his energy level is SO high- and sometimes all the play we do doesn't get out that energy.

We rescued Luna from a family who didn't realize what a commitment a Husky would be. They also lived in an apartment without proper space for her so we brought her into our home. She is the sweetest thing, but all Husky!

We introduced them in a mutual place they sniffed, played, and generally did well. Even after we brought her home there was no tension or aggression from either. Once they start playing, this is where our inexperience lies. They play rough...and to me it looks like they are fighting or not getting along. They growl, bark, and Harley even "hip checks" her in the process. The weird thing to me is they can lay down and chew on a toy and never bother each other, but when they get up they start the "play" all over again and never really give it a rest. Does this seem normal? Should we be looking for specific actions that say it's turned bad? I understand dogs play fight and with a Husky they are pack animals so this could be totally normal, and Luna has only been with us one day.

We are so happy to have brought Luna home and with time I hope her and Harley will be life long friends!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:37 am

This is completely normal.   Huskies are extremely mouthy, both verbally and physically,  and they interact with the world with their teeth---this will include you soon enough.   It is essentially social bonding for them . They are becoming friends.

For over a year our Husky and his best friend, also a Husky, have been biting each others faces all day long. They will naturally regulate themselves.  They know the difference between rough play and pain and will set up boundaries and limitations very assertively.  

They are not lacking assertion and confidence, at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:44 am

There are probably over 25 identical threads to this as well if you want to read up on more info and experiences.

This is a top 3 most common question.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:58 am

I echo Jeff.  2 yr old Ami plays regularly with 8 mo old Archer.  You would think, sometimes, that they are arch enemies.  There is teeth, growling, leaping, body checking, an occasional bit of blood (tooth in ear or mouth - very minor).  One time, when Archer was much smaller, he got into the prey sequence with Ami at, oh, maybe 50 ft.  After staring at each other in stalk pose, both took off at 1000 mph (ok, I exaggerate Laughing ).  Then they leaped into the air at each other, colliding and sending a screeching Archer flying through the air, landing about 8 ft away.  To me it is a marvelous 3 ring circus that keeps me laughing.

Archer constantly gnaws on Ami - with a vise grip on his cheeks, his neck.  Sometimes they run around the whole backyard with Archer hanging on to some part of Ami (which, with Ami's wooly coat, can make for some nasty knots in his fur Mad )

The only time there is trouble is if Archer finds Ami's freshly buried but not finished bone - then Archer becomes a bit testy when Ami tries to reclaim it.  So I just scarf the bone for later.

Just be glad Harley hip-checks Luna and not you - I was subject to several instances of that before Archer came on the scene.  Sixty three year old ladies are NOT meant to go sailing through the air!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

Female Join date : 2014-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 pm

I just wanted to say welcome, James! I see you have gotten a lot of good advice and probably some laughs, as well! LOL!

I'm not an expert but I do watch a lot of the YouTube channel's Gone to the Snow Dogs (is that like sleeping at the Holiday Inn?Wink) and their dogs play fight just as you described all of the time. Their dogs are best friends, but they act like they want to kill each other, yet it's obviously all in good fun. I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry much about this. Sure, monitor it, but don't worry.

I also wanted to add my own anecdotal story. My daughter, Olivia, and I go for a walk several times a week around our neighborhood. There are two absolutely gorgeous, white German Shepherd brothers from the same litter who hear us coming from a block away. When they are inside their fence, they look like they are going to rip each other's faces off over who gets to say hi first. I think they are trying to claim who gets the big one and who gets the little one, LOL. It seems incredibly vicious, but really it's just their norm. However, when they are out in their unfenced front yard, they just look at us like we are no big deal. I think it must be a turf thing.

Anyway, enjoy their antics and try not to stress out over it. Smile

Last edited by HuskyLovers on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To make a joke, haha!)
Back to top Go down
jamesnmistyjo
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks everyone! It is funny to watch them because sometimes it looks like a brother picking on his sister or the other way around. They can sit so nicely together then one tries to get their attention. They don't mind nap time at all!! I guess that's a good thing and ultimately decided to bring Luna into our home. She gives us joy and Harley a friend when we aren't around.

It's only day two and no tears shed just yet. I'll try not to be too worried wave
Back to top Go down
Barczewska
Puppy
Puppy
Barczewska

Female Join date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 11:26 am

This is going to be my exact situation in two days I think. We are bringing home a rescue for a two week trial, followed by the (hopeful) permanent adoption. Getting him for the same reasons you got Luna, and it sounds like I will be very happy with the decision to do this.

Glad I could see this before I brought him home and see the rough play and get worried that they were playing too rough Smile

Good luck with your pups!
Back to top Go down
thealgomasnowpuppycave
Newborn
Newborn
thealgomasnowpuppycave

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 am

Generally you'll know if they've crossed the line between "rough play" and "You dirty bastage I want to eat your face and harm you". Its a pretty unmistakable thing. So the good news is that while it may seem a bit rough to you, its just right...and all the mouthing without breaking skin and wrestling without yelping should put you at ease a bit...your dogs have some bite inhibition. They can be in an intense mouthy situation and not break the skin. SUPER IMPORTANT.

Congrats on your new additions! Be sure to take lots of pics. They grow and change so fast
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?   Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene? Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppies playing VERY rough...when do you intervene?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1