It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FURAI
Newborn
Newborn

Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock Empty
PostSubject: Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock   Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 1:53 am

I'm only finding generic ones.
does a quality one exist that isn't ultra expensive?

must have hole in roof. would rather a soft one.
considering one of those hammocks but i believe hair will still get everywhere. (intention of it's use)

Furai stands at 80cm if he's sitting on hind legs.
biggest if found was 70cm.

also one of my cars is a 4 seater. armrest fixed in the middle don't know how that will work out.

I don't know whether the mesh in a carrier will contain the hair.

best option atm seems to be buy the hammock and stitch mesh over the top. with a zip or velcro if the window needs to be accessed.

I want him to be comfortable which is why the hammock seems best.
he gets a little anxious in a car.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock   Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 9:57 am

Your dog will be safest in a carrier. However, carriers for my big boy don't really fit in our cars so we use a hammock with a harness attached by tether to the rear deck car seat anchors. Note the weight restrictions on the anchors - ours is 60 pounds, Ami is slightly over that so in a high speed severe accident possible detachment.

For hair - husband is fanatic about keeping cars clean so I have worked up a "system". First I put an old sheet over the back seat and tuck it in all around - deck and sides. Then I take another old sheet (queen or king size) and drape it over the back of the front seats (ours are bucket seats). I make a loose depression between the 2 front seats because Ami likes to lay his head between the seats, gives him contact with us. Then I put the hammock over the back seat, attach the hammock straps to the 2 end car seat anchors on the rear deck (his tether gets the middle one) and then wrap the other straps around the headrests of the front seats. I also leave a length of sheet to drape down over the door opening for getting in and out - so dog does not scratch the paint Rolling Eyes

There is one caveat: This leaves the rear door sides exposed. Ami, wants to scratch the doors to get out - even if its only a gas stop and one of us is in the car. I now have to find someone to fix the vinyl on the door panel and then devise a protector for the doors Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock   Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 2:13 pm

I wouldn't do a soft crate in the car. We have all 3, a soft crate, hard plastic kennel, and a car dog hammock. No matter what, you will have dog hair end up in the car. Only way around it is to not bring the dog in the car. Razz

After years of experimentation we have determined the safest AND cleanest mode of travel for the dog is in a hard plastic kennel. It is safest for the dog in that he is protected from anything that might fall or become a moving projectile and safer in the event of a collision. He is also safer in that when we need to open doors he cannot make a run for it and get loose. The plastic kennel also has the fewest openings to allow fur to escape, thus makes it the cleanest option for the vehicle. We go a step further and drape a couple large beach towels over the plastic kennel (sheets would work too) so that the back and sides are covered. Thereby leaving only the front door of the crate exposed as a possible exit for fur. This has been our best solution yet since.

The soft sided carrier will not stand up to a nervous husky that wants out, nor will it offer protection in the event of a collision or items falling on it (like if you have other items in the car with the crate). The backseat dog hammock does not offer any protection to the dog in the event of a collision and won't keep the dog secure when doors are opened. Also, like Amy experienced, our sibe has scratched up the plastic on the insides of the doors numerous times. We even bought and tried a doggy hair net which is basically a full body hair net that covers everything but the legs, neck, head and tail...hair still ended up everywhere!

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock   Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 am

wow the weight limits of the child seats are ultra low. in a crash the force is magnified significantly i thought.
one car has a massive bolts but i don't plan on anchoring.
I thought the hammock if tight and somewhat suspending the dog would be good so he doesn't get thrown around. rather it would kinda absorb cornering forces.

I don't like the sound of the scratching leather door trims on most cars. hasn't happened yet though.
looks like I won't use a soft crate.
I'm still going to attempt hammock with a stitched on net. possibly a body suit.

the hair seems worst in the floor mats just loves to stick to it.

every hard crate i see seems to have more ventilation than I'd like with huge openings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LARGE-FOLDING-CANVAS-CARRIER-TRANSPORT/dp/B0036UMF7M
in these types the floors not very ridgid??

believe me no crashing going on here. last week i had a horrible day. had a lady playing chicken with me. and another running a red light which would have side swiped me if i went on the green.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock   Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock Empty

Back to top Go down

Pet carrier/soft dog crate or dog hammock

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1