It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Spayed, what to expect

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

Spayed, what to expect Empty
PostSubject: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 10:52 pm

Bandit will be getting spayed in 2months so what should I expect? How she I care for her? Will there be issues with potty time?
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Most likely she'll act like she doesn't even notice- until the incision gets itchy, anyway! Keep her in a cone of shame when you can't watch her.

Keep her from licking/chewing at herself and keep her as calm as possible for at least a week afterward. No zoomies or excessive exercise. Most vets suture with a three layer technique to keep the closure as strong as possible, so its actually pretty hard for them to bust it open with normal activity (not impossible, though!).

Your vet should send you home with discharge instructions, just follow them and you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Mishka was just spayed a few weeks ago, I didnt need the cone for her, but the first night or two she whimpered once in awhile, it was like maybe she would moved too fast or something and caused her a twinge of pain. After that though, she was fine. They sleep A LOT the first day/night they come home as well.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:22 pm

Make sure your vet knows that huskies can be driven and escape artists - my first girl, after the staff left the office, broke out of her crate, dove through the glass door and found her way home...she was older at her spay, however. The stitches survived, we didn't use a cone, either (that was 40 years ago, don't know if they even had them back then.)
Back to top Go down
d1nkyd0
Newborn
Newborn
d1nkyd0

Male Join date : 2014-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Was wondering how old your girl is going to be in 2 months? Luna goes in to get spayed in a month. She will be a little over 6 months. Some say that's too soon, but that is what the vet suggested!
Back to top Go down
Karu4Link
Teenager
Teenager
Karu4Link

Female Join date : 2014-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 8:55 pm

d1nkyd0 wrote:
Was wondering how old your girl is going to be in 2 months?   Luna goes in to get spayed in a month.  She will be a little over 6 months.  Some say that's too soon, but that is what the vet suggested!  

I'm curious about this as well. Ours is slated to be spayed in two weeks. Her papers say that she was born June 5, 2014, but our vet said that by looking at her teeth she could tell that she was more like 6+ months and recommended getting her spayed on our week off (two saturdays from now.) I'm trusting her because, well, she's a vet, but what do you guys think? I don't want to wait too long to spay her, but I also don't want to do it too soon.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 12:36 am

d1nkyd0 wrote:
 She will be a little over 6 months.  Some say that's too soon, but that is what the vet suggested!  

Some say its too soon, others say its not...just like with everything, theres always different opinions, all based on some sort of fact. Even with vets, some might suggest its too soon, others may say its not. Mishka I had spayed at just a week over 6 months. My previous female, Anuschka, was spayed at 4 months, advised by my vet because I had both her and her brother and it removed the possibility of "accidental breeding". In retrospect, I could have just had one spayed/neutured and let the other develop more but I was really young, and I was listening to my vet. In any event, Anuschka had no problems that I am aware of from being spayed too early, she was super healthy (except for her epilepsy) her entire life, only vet visits were for check-ups.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 am

Generally the rule of thumb is spay/neuter at six months (at least from what many vets will tell you), but there are other reasons to keep them intact longer, until their growth plates have closed (usually around 12 to 18 months). Some recommend letting a female go through her first heat before spaying but there is a slight increase in risk of developing certain cancers from that. Then again, if you spay at six months there is slightly increased risk for another set of diseases that could crop up. There are pros and cons to spaying at six months AND to waiting longer, so it's really up to you and what you feel is best for your dog based on the information you have gathered from your vet and other reliable sources.

For us, I chose to wait until Layla was seven months to spay. Her vet was pushing us to do it at six months but I wanted to wait a little longer to let her develop as much as possible before we did it. I didn't really want to deal with her going through a heat but if it had come before seven months we would've just dealt with it and then spayed her. I thought it was a decent compromise between the six-month spay and waiting longer. Layla recovered very well and has had no complications, and she's blissfully naive to the fact that she can't reproduce. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spayed, what to expect   Spayed, what to expect Empty

Back to top Go down

Spayed, what to expect

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1