It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna has possible allergies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
d1nkyd0
Newborn
Newborn
d1nkyd0

Male Join date : 2014-11-01

Luna has possible allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 3:55 pm

The other night Luna woke me up with this hideous sound coming from her nose. After some research I found out it was reverse sneezing. Throughout the day I kept an eye on her and realized she sounded congested when breathing. This congestion wasn't constant, but more off and on.

We made her a VET appointment and they took a look at her and said she is perfectly healthy and hear no signs of anything cold related. She did the reverse sneeze there and he told us, that was in fact a reverse sneeze.

My question is, I understand the reverse sneezing (which isn't harmful), I just don't understand the congestive sound that follows the sneeze. My only thought is maybe the sneezing is causing her to sound congested when she's breathing?

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Rob, your vets says she's fine I wouldn't sweat it. Miya does the same thing, late spring when it gets cool to hot out, and she did it just this weekend when the weather turned significantly cooler out. My gosh I panicked the first time she did this, almost sounds like a human asthma attack, a few seconds later all better. But she does sound nasally when she's in the middle of it. I would keep an eye on her, but you shouldn't see this again for awhile, if you see discharge or continuous congestion, then take her back to the vet.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Butkis used to reverse sneeze alot. Bourbon has done it maybe a couple times. But we had the vet check Butkis and they said it was worse in the spring and fall weather changes because of seasonal allergies. There was a little nasally sound but not during other times just with the sneeze. Now when he had a cold he sounded like he was nasally during other times of the day. I would just watch and see if there was a pattern since you already saw the vet. Keep and I on thing but you can always get an second opinion or see if there is an increase in the habit or duration maybe.

MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Colleen, did Butkis take allergy meds, or like with Miya it happens a couple times when the weather changes and that was it? Just wondering, because it does sound horrible, but it happened maybe 2 times in the late spring (separate days) and so far once this fall, so wasn't sure if she needed an allergy test and meds?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 4:53 pm

No tests or meds we were always told we could do a antihistamine if it became a pattern or more regular. It never became a regular thing except maybe in October with the leaves falling and in March. Somedays would be a fit of them maybe four or five each within a few minutes of each other. Other days it would be one this morning one this evening. But he only did about four days during the month. He did occasionally rev sneeze out of no where. But once they said it was nothing really just something tickled or irritated him we just thought that was that. They seemed to bother us more than him so we went with the if it does not bother him and the vet does not worry, I guess it is okay. Especially as he would cross his paws over his snout and wipe it off or shake his head after words. With hose it just made me think of it being more like a regular human random sneezes.

MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Thank you Colleen, for explaining it better, I never attributed it to allergies, just in temperature change, although still end result is no biggie, now I and op Rob understand it better and what to watch out for.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 5:33 pm

You are welcome. The pattern or the item that exacerbates the situation is the thing to look for if you can. I was always told it seems to be exacerbated by allergies and environmental odors such as smoke, potpourri and perfume. Dogs with long noses have narrower passages and seem to be more commonly affected. We never found a trigger besides October and March for us!

d1nkyd0
Newborn
Newborn
d1nkyd0

Male Join date : 2014-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks so much for the responses!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luna has possible allergies?   Luna has possible allergies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna has possible allergies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1