It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

11 week old husky food suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hdale85
Newborn
Newborn
Hdale85

11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 8:44 am

Well last visit with the vet we had she weighed 24lbs, so we'll see how much she weighs at todays visit but I think what I have is working pretty good. The only complaint I have is she definitely has gas once in a while now and it's pretty darn stinky lol.

As for the raw food yeah I've been considering it, there is that subscription service I saw that we're thinking about. We can't do it right now due to a few things but sometime next year we may switch over to it as I think it ends up being like 25 bucks a week or something.

I was also looking at Natures Variety RawBoost foods which have freeze dried raw meats in them, for some reason on dogfoodadvisor it lists no controversial ingredients, a pretty high protein count, and really says nothing negative about it at all but it only gets 4 stars? So I don't really get that. I looked at it at the store the other day though and holy balls I thought the Blue Wilderness was expensive but that RawBoost is like 90 bucks for a 24lb bag.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Ha ha! Diz had bad gas on salmon food as well! I had to get him off of it, it was so bad... I don't stick with one brand, I rotate and always try new things. I've gone through two bags of zignature turkey and potato. Diz loves it and it's a pretty good price. It's $50.49 on chewy.com for a 27 lb bag. Currently, I'm mixing that with Nature's variety Prairie Venison and Barley. I'm not thrilled with it though. I tried the rabbit with the raw boost and that went over really well, and stools were the best I've seen outside the zignature. I like to try different things not only because it keeps him interested, but also just to know what else is out there and agrees with him. I used to feed canidae, but the raised their prices last year and i thought they were a bit crazy! I also fed raw for a while, but didn't have a very reliable source so I switched back to kibble. Also, he is intolerant of chicken so that made raw quite expensive.

Long story short, there is a lot of great advice posted by others, and you've just gotta find what works best for her...

Oh, for the vomiting, this may sound odd, but the kibbles might just be too big for her. My cat used to always scarf and barf and I finally found a kibble that I can give to him where he can scarf (this will never change), but doesn't barf. The biggest difference is that the kibbles are tiny. about a fourth the size of normal cat food kibbles.
Back to top Go down
japhotos
Newborn
Newborn
japhotos

Male Join date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 3:58 pm

I have used Nature's Variety in the past and I agree with the stool consistency, it was definitely the best out of all kibble she had been on. To saves some money you could try getting the normal instinct without raw bites and just buy some of the Stella and Chewy's freeze dried patties to crumble up to put on top of the food. It ends up being cheaper that way and you control how much of the freeze dried raw they have in each meal.
Back to top Go down
Hdale85
Newborn
Newborn
Hdale85

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:02 am

Ok, so the first time we took her to the vet I'm pretty sure she was something around 14lbs. About 3 weeks later we took her back in and she was 21lbs, now it's been about a month and her visit yesterday she was 27.4lbs. Does this sound like pretty good growth?
Back to top Go down
guapo
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 9:33 am

Good Morning all,

So I read the thread and we have a 16 week old and he keeps throwing up. He had his shots and was seen at out vet (which is a husky lover) and they have given him a clean bill of health. When looking at what come out it's mostly un digested food. We bought a food bowl that makes him slow down and that works. He changed to IAMS puppy formula from kibble and bits puppy formula. We had been feeding him 1 cup three times a day. Is that too much I know they don't need too much. He seems fine other wise. He can hear his belly nosies and don't give him too many treats and they are very small.

Any suggestions.

Ho BTW his name is bandit and will post up a picture later on.
Back to top Go down
Hdale85
Newborn
Newborn
Hdale85

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 am

I believe both of those food brands are low protein and very high in grains which may make his stomach upset.
Back to top Go down
japhotos
Newborn
Newborn
japhotos

Male Join date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Agreed try switching to a higher quality food and use the recommended feeding guidelines for puppies on the back. You might have to alter the portions a little based on the activity level of your husky as time goes on. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com for some good food recommendations. They have food on there for every type of budget. Also, as stated previously, you can always look into feed either pre-packaged, or home made raw as well. That can clear a lot of issues up. Check out the raw feeding forum on here for more info.

Last edited by japhotos on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
guapo
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 9:02 am

Wife took him back to the vet yesterday and they checked out he gained 3 lbs since last Thursday. Checked his belly good and issued some meds to help. Then he threw up again. He ate a little this morning. I'm thinking something is in his belly. If this keeps up will get exrays. He is pooping and its small but looks normal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11 week old husky food suggestions?   11 week old husky food suggestions? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

11 week old husky food suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next