It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Katie Mesner
Newborn
Newborn
Katie Mesner

Female Join date : 2015-01-14

crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 10:41 am

Speaking of Huskies being Houdini... If I were to leave my pup/dog on a tie out, one end wrapped around a tree outside of my office. Should I put a harness on her? Instead of a collar? She wouldn't be out there long, just to get fresh air and be able to run around while I have some things to do inside. But I can't see the tree and grassy area from my office window and I am scared that she will get loose somehow.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 am

Katie Mesner wrote:
Speaking of Huskies being Houdini... If I were to leave my pup/dog on a tie out, one end wrapped around a tree outside of my office. Should I put a harness on her? Instead of a collar? She wouldn't be out there long, just to get fresh air and be able to run around while I have some things to do inside. But I can't see the tree and grassy area from my office window and I am scared that she will get loose somehow.

Is this a home office?
If its at home and your yard in fenced I would only leave her for short periods. If this is not fenced I would absolutely not leave her out there tied to a tree.
There are often stories of dogs being taken from their owner while tied up and unsupervised, this can range from people not being aware you are only gone for 2 minutes and doing it with good intentions, to people who are just looking for a free dog and worse.
Back to top Go down
Katie Mesner
Newborn
Newborn
Katie Mesner

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 am

Understood. It is not a home office... I work in a sort of lumber yard. I am second in charge of the company. The entire property is fenced in but I don't want her to have run of the entire thing, it is like 7 acres. The front gate is always open to let cars in but the security camera is in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. No one would be able to get in without me seeing them. We have open warehouses with nothing in them but a few pallets. The inside is bigger than most peoples backyards. She could have the entire run of a building while I am in the office, but I just thought the fresh air would be nicer. She is going to be able to come with me and be right next to me while I am outside during the day, and can come in my office as well. I just thought being in a 14X14 office with me would get a little boring for her.
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 am

I would keep her with you in that case, as long as you have a few things there to keep her occupied and a spot for her to sleep she will be fine. Especially while shes little she will sleep a lot.
I wouldn't leave her in the yard unsupervised though, its too big and with an open gate, if she gets out of her harness or collar it could be really bad.
Back to top Go down
Katie Mesner
Newborn
Newborn
Katie Mesner

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:23 am

Ok... well let's say, hypothetically, I am just a person who is sitting on my front porch drinking some tea, and I have my dog with me. Obviously she always needs to be on a leash. Does a harness prevent her from escaping me if the desire arises? Or is it easy for a husky either way to escape?
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:32 am

It makes it a little harder for them to get out of. We only use harnesses to run with them or at the dog park, but walking and yard work out front they have only collars but are tethered to us. That way if the desire to chase something comes up we have them attached to us and can intervene.
It really depends on the dog too, Tika has never gotten out of her harness, though I dont think she has ever really tired, but my cat could do it like houdini.
Back to top Go down
Katie Mesner
Newborn
Newborn
Katie Mesner

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:36 am

lol... That is kind of what I am wondering. Even just for basic nightly walks. All I ever hear is how good they are at escaping. I want to do the best I can to prevent it. So I wasn't sure if I should have a harness even for just little walks. But I guess I will found out quickly if she will try and escape me if I just start out with a collar. If she does, get a harness.. ???
Back to top Go down
Katie Mesner
Newborn
Newborn
Katie Mesner

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:40 am

Oh... that was another question I had. I eventually want my dog to pull. Whether it is a cart or scooter or eventually a sled. Should I put her in a harness at 8 weeks... just so she can get use to it. And it is better to have her on a harness when we walk? Because I don't want her to pull while just walking with the family. How do you teach them the difference between... we are just going on a walk, stay behind or to the side of me, and we are going for a run, pull this bike? LOL I know that is probably something I could easily research it, I just like hearing it from you guys. I want to be sure when to have a harness and when to have a collar.
Back to top Go down
Barczewska
Puppy
Puppy
Barczewska

Female Join date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:45 am

I plan on training my boys to pull next winter....so I am curious about this too. I have heard that having two different harnesses (one for pulling and one for walking) can help, and you teach the dog the difference between the two.

Though I am thinking of getting an easy-walk harness for the walks, after I do some more research anyway
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 11:55 am

we use collars for walking and harnesses for running. The dogs know the difference between the two.
Back to top Go down
shylohoney
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2014-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 7:13 pm

ShawnaAD wrote:
Callie, it sounds like you need an airline kennel, the enclosed kind to keep her in. A kong toy filled with treats and peanut butter would probably help as well.

You might want to look into other options if she gets too stressed out in a crate, having her heart rate increased due to anxiety and stress could be as bad as her being exercised while going through heart worm treatment.
We had to buy a 4x8 kennel to put on our patio for one of our heart worm positive rescues over the summer. Unfortunately he had never been crated and freaked out when we would leave him in there. Once we put him in the outdoor kennel on our patio he was great though. He wasn't as confined but still couldn't run around.

When we first got her she stayed outside all day long in an outdoor kennel. We tried that too and she barks all day long (i don't want to be the neighbor with the crazy barking dog). I guess now she knows that she can run in our fenced in yard so that's where she wants to be. For now we have left her inside. She has run of the living room and kitchen. I'm not looking forward to her blowing her coat in our house Sad We originally wanted her to be more of an outside dog (at least during the day) but since she got her heartworm treatment, she can't even have preventative flea treatments so keeping her inside is our option for now.

Right now her igloo is outside in her kennel (that's how it was set up at my mother in laws where she came from) she doesn't want anything to do with it. I think once she is better, we will move her igloo to the patio area so she will be sheltered from the weather (our backyard is fenced in so she doesn't really need her kennel) I think she is getting VERY spoiled being inside. We don't mind it but sometimes we like to let her out in the backyard so she can play and run around (which she does) but she doesn't for very long before she wants to come in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?   crate - Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who does or doesn't crate their dog when they go away?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2