It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

normal groom time for your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

normal groom time for your husky? Empty
PostSubject: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi, so Miya's been at the groomers for about three hours now and still isnt done, is this a normal time to fully bathe brush and dry a Siberians' coat? How long does your groomer (or yourself) take to do your husky? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Karu4Link
Teenager
Teenager
Karu4Link

Female Join date : 2014-10-21

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:25 pm

I guess it depends on the groomer. Our bath package we do every once in awhile at PetSmart has a 45 minute brushing. It's taken close to 3 hours both times we've gone.
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Oh okay, well they have pretty much one package which includes brush out, bath, blow dry, nail trim, anal expression. This is her first time she's probably being a butt for them haha
Back to top Go down
Karu4Link
Teenager
Teenager
Karu4Link

Female Join date : 2014-10-21

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 pm

That's probably it haha. Gaia was scared of the drier so it took her longer than usual her first time.
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:34 pm

I hope she's not too freaked out lol..everytime I turn on my hair dryer she howls hmm
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:38 pm

You're kidding, right? Have you SEEN pictures of my husky? lol!

Seriously, though, I have no idea how long it should take. My first girl, with normal husky coat, not in "blow" season, I imagine, from starting bath to finish, maybe 2-3 hours. Ami? I've never done him all at once, he's a bear to groom, I do bits and pieces every day.
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Lol I have, you have a mammoth for a dog lol I brush her everyday but still get a brush full of hair. She's not blowing so I cant imagine it'd take too much longer, I hope lol I miss her
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 7:56 pm

GravityM wrote:
Lol I have, you have a mammoth for a dog lol I brush her everyday but still get a brush full of hair. She's not blowing so I cant imagine it'd take too much longer, I hope lol I miss her

If you mean a wooly mammoth, that's a yes lol! I wish I had him as a pup, I could have trained him to tolerate grooming at an early age. As it is...
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Lol! Awe that sucks he doesn't tolerate brushing Sad luckily Miya doesnt try to bite my hand off, but she really dislikes her tail being brushed she always stands up right away
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 8:35 pm

We've been working our way up. He's never been aggressive about it, just squirms, wiggles, turns himself around and around and around, tail between his legs, climbs over me, around me, hides behind the table, under the table...

At this point, I can brush his back and sides. If he's eating or chewing on a bone, I can get his tail. His feet normal groom time for your husky? 1625187496 Well, yesterday I was able to get musher's secret on 3 pads (that's PADS, not feet Rolling Eyes ) The trick is for me to be able to groom him without hurting my back trying to keep him still...
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Layla's not the fluffiest of Huskies but when she's blowing or when it's been a long time in between brushings it takes a good 20 to 30 minutes with the undercoat rake to where I'm satisfied. Of course, we never get all the fur out, but at least she feels a lot softer, her tail is soft and less tangled-feeling, and she sheds less. We've only had one big blow so far in late summer but even that wasn't that bad. Her next one may be worse, but so far we've been lucky her shedding has been so manageable.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 8:43 pm

That's also 20 to 30 minutes without a bath beforehand. Add another 30 minutes or so for the bath. We've never blowdried her, just towel-dry and let her run it out and within a couple hours she's dry enough to brush. So, for the entire process (bath and brush) it's about an hour or so, not including the air-drying time.
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 am

Wow Ami sounds like a handful! Maybe try it when hes really, really tired lol before Iccouldn't get the undercoat rake through her tail but now she's sooo soft and tangle free, but I have to say that she was a little damp when I got her back 4 hours later..
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 6:28 pm

I groomed Orion last weekend since he was finally in the middle of his summer coat blow. A bath, blow dry, comb and nail trim took me about 1 & 1/2 hours. in all fairness though he knows not to bother giving me any shit so just gives up and stands there lol
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Lol that sounds about right, takes me about two hours todo both Memphis and Miya only because Memphis has like no hair lol. Miya will tolerate brushing for awhile until she gets bored and wants to do something else haha I dont think ill be going back there took a little too long abd they weren't completely dry
Back to top Go down
Marten Tellez
Newborn
Newborn
Marten Tellez

Male Join date : 2015-07-30

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 11:37 am

At what age is the best to start taking them to a groomer? Royal is alnost 6 months and just got neutered 2 days ago.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am

I took Koda to a groomer her first time when she was 3-4 months old. There really isn't a specific time to take him, just whenever you want him groomed and you don't want to do it yourself. Also, they usually have access to better shampoos and conditioners.
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 3:54 pm

Last time I took my boy for a bath (at 6 months) it was about 4 hours..he's not much of a fan of the blow drying process, that's what make the grooming session long. I remember seeing the groomer full of fur everywhere in him lol and he was really shedding at the time so it was extreme haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 1:38 pm

it usually takes me about 3 hours to bathe, blow dry and brush Leo. i use REEGE Pet Dog Baths Multifunction Pet Shower Head Handhold Sprayer but i did need and metal hose which we already had and a splinter to change where the water comes out of the shower, makes for a very fast bath gets him(and me) completely soaking wet and Leo gets nice and clean. but doesn't last long lol.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Marten Tellez wrote:
At what age is the best to start taking them to a groomer?  Royal is alnost 6 months and just got neutered 2 days ago.

If you are planning on using a groomer, I would take him sooner rather than later and groom him regularly at home - Ami was a shelter dog adopted at 1 yr of age, clearly had no grooming history of any kind and it has been almost impossible to groom him (he is getting better, though...2 years later normal groom time for your husky? 1625187496 )
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Groomer lady takes two hours for bath, blowdry and brush. Loki holds still until it comes time to brush his butt, lol! Then he just wiggles. He likes being blowdried; it puts him to sleep. I also suspect he just secretly likes being the center of attention.

Bathing him takes awhile. Maybe 40 minutes? I'm a bit crazy, though, and keep rinsing him even after it runs clear because I don't want his skin to be irritated with leftover soap. We have a sliding door into our shower and a hand-held shower head so he has no escape. Twisted Evil The blowdrying takes a lifetime and the brushing takes over an hour. If I don't have to bathe him, I just kind of brush at him a few times throughout the day while he's chewing on an antler.

Marten, I wouldn't do it until the vet clears it. Ours told us that we had to wait 10 days after the neutering before bathing him or letting him exercise. Once that time period passes and he's all healed up, though, you might look into getting it done. Some dogs don't like to be messed with so I think the earlier you get them used to it, the better.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 8:20 am

We do brushing first then bath then dry--we have it down to a science and takes about an hour and a half. It's helpful my pup loves the process and is extremely cooperative. She'll lay all day if we use the dryer.

For the groomer, they often are working with several dogs at once too, so some of it is waiting for the other dog to be finished, table cleared, etc
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: normal groom time for your husky?   normal groom time for your husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

normal groom time for your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1