It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Mylo's first escape!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

Mylo's first escape!  Empty
PostSubject: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:21 pm

So I've been fearing that one day I'll walk in my room to find my boy outside of his designated gated area…well…today was the day Shocked
I wasn't expecting this to happen this soon haha
He's currently 12weeks old. I haven't decided on a huge kennel for him yet but now I'm gonna need to speed it up!

I had just left my room for a little bit (like three minutes) to prepare him a nice mid day Kong snack. I went to the fridge to get a little bit of his canned food to mix with kibble. Then..I open the door to my room and there he is greeting me as I walk in wagging his tail and then boom I step on some fresh poop Mylo's first escape!  1625187496
I'm like wowww boy you escaped your area and pooped. Niiice.

I will say that yesterday I saw him almost getting over the gate as I was putting food in his bowl but he fell back two times. I was like ehh he can't do it yet. The very next day he succeeds lol

So now I need some good temporary reinforcements!

Mylo's first escape!  Photo-12
It's very simple to see how he did it. Gets cornered right there, puts his paws on the wood on top, pushes him self up with that damn metal horizontal line at the bottom, booom lands on the floor.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking of somehow blocking that corner from the inside with something but don't know what. Or just get a new extra extra tall stand alone gate.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Got a couple dining room chair with tall backs you could lean up against there? That's a tough one. If you block it on the inside chances are whatever you use to block the corner he will use as a step to more easily get out.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 1:00 am

I want you to remember this when/if you have a live human baby. The minute you see them climbing the sides of the crib is game over. Lower the crib sides or time for a real bed.

As for puppy, maybe a line around the top threaded through box pipe for short of indoor coyote roller?

Looks like you have the genesis of a Houdini lol!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 2:49 am

Hmmm I've never heard of coyote roller until I searched right now. That's neat!
And yep, food is what triggers him to go crazy and go over the gate.
It all started when I opened his new canned food I chose for him to mix with kibble…
My girl was baby sitting him today and while she was getting a kong snack prepared he got out again..she wanted to see for herself and she got it! lol
When I was preparing dinner for him, he got crazy again and turned back and saw him halfway through his technique I was like oh goodness. That Merrick puppy plate wet food reeeally gets him going! He loves it. I put a little bit under the kibble (Dr. Tim's).
And I barely introduced it to him yesterday to replace the purina vet EN canned food he was getting used to.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 5:44 am

That should read pvc pipe, damn autocomplete Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Alright I came up with this temporary solution…my big heavy guitar case backed by a almost 50 pound case with cymbals for support.

Mylo's first escape!  Photo_10

Mylo's first escape!  Photo_11

I'm thinking if it's even worth having a gated area in my room anymore. I mean only food triggers him to go over it. That's the only time he even gets in that "get out" mode lol
I'm sure soon he will probably just go over the gate just for fun.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 1:08 pm

David, talking at you from the other side of this great (but frozen state!) once your little Houdini is house trained your might want to try a Regalo gate (or something similar).  I have a 5 room house trailer that I'm living in and my two decided that since I wasn't using the back bedroom (no air circulation) that they could use it for a loo. The gate keeps them contained to the living room / kitchen area (I'm a bachelor and sleep on the couch) and they rarely mess in the house now (as long as they can get me up n the morning).
While it comes with "cups" to secure it into a door frame, I don't use them but do have to re-center the gate from time to time.  Avalanche could jump it if he really wanted to, I've seen him jump from the ground onto the porch - about 3 feet / 1 meter - with no problem; he seems to accept it as a No-go barrier.

er ... P.S. while they're made from steel they're surprisingly inexpensive, mine was in the vicinity of US$35 delivered.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Wow what a handsome pup! but as for the jumping of the gate luckily Nala hasnt found out how to do that and she is 3 y.o (almost) so i dont have any suggestions /:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mylo's first escape!    Mylo's first escape!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Mylo's first escape!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1