It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is this normal in a pup?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Ok, thanks.    Maybe a pm with your #.   This is my only online existence.    

What other breed , if any, besides the Husky allows for different color eyes in the show ring?  One of the herding dogs does, if I remember correctly.

It is very interesting that it is so common in the Husky that the standard allows for it in the show ring.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Australian shepherd! ps loving the thread
but there are several actually
Great Dane dachshund collies corgi...hmmm lets see wiki
Merle is a distinguishing marking of several breeds, particularly the Australian Shepherd, and appears in others, including the Koolie, German Coolies in Australia, the Shetland Sheepdog, various Collies, the Welsh Corgi (Cardigan), the Pyrenean Shepherd, the Bergamasco Sheepdog, the Old English Sheepdog, and Catahoula Leopard Dog. In Dachshunds the merle marking is known as "dapple".[6] It is also present in the Pomeranian and Chihuahua, but is a disqualification according to the FCI standards. In the Cocker Spaniel breed, it is a recognized pattern, although incorrectly listed as a 'color'.[7] The merle gene also plays a part in producing harlequin Great Danes. In several breeds, such as the Pomeranian and Chihuahua, merle is an indicator of cross breeding.

seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Whoa, thanks Colleen!

That's more than I thought. It'd be great to see this in terms of % of population in each breed, although obtaining that data would of course be impossible.

It is true that a bi-eyed pup can come from parents who are both not bi-eyed, yes or no?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Now that is the Merle gene but I think that play into the whole bi eyed but not parti eye portion of this? Or did I assume and jump in at the wrong place heehee brain fart maybe

Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Australian Shepherds. I know for a fact and because lazy and on phone I'm not going to go digging for more breeds. However I imagine (and with no evidence to back up atm) that any breed that allows for merle would allow for blue and bi eyes. Through my non scientific ways I'm sure merle is connected to at least one if not both.

Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:14 pm

My aussie is a "none showing merle" not sure what you call that a dormant merle. You can see some small characteristics that indicate it but not bi eye no merle pattern in her coat but she got the freckles.

Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Bi eyes can come from parents who don't have. Just like blue eyes can come from non blue eyed parents.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:16 pm

The freckles are a sign of merling. Cryptic merle is the term you want.

Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Yes thanks! her dad was a merle in bi eyes, pattern and freckles.

Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Some dogs don't show any merle in their coat all but are genetically a merle. There is a thread on another forum I used to be a part of about it. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Back to top Go down
Barczewska
Puppy
Puppy
Barczewska

Female Join date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 5:30 pm

This is so interesting!

Kesler's dad was a purebred sibe with two blue eyes and his mum was 1/2 sibe and 1/2 GSD with two brown eyes.

I wish my lab allowed me to do genetic testing for personal reasons!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 5:33 pm

you're only a criminal if you get caught.

Do not quote me.

Wink
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Baylin is a purebred long coated Australian shepherd she is not show quality but you can see that she does not have the merle pattern or eyes but she does have the freckles.
Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 20131113she is the right
Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 Img_6110
as you can see her mom is a red
Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 Josiew10
and her dad is a blue merle
Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 Bluesk10
so we know three generations for her because of the merle dad they have to be carefully. I know they are not huskies but this gives you a good merle picture. PS Blue Skye her daddy was bi eyed.

Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 9:19 pm

http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/107396-merle-when-not-seen.html

Found that thread.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this normal in a pup?   Is this normal in a pup? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this normal in a pup?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3