It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ellie347
Newborn
Newborn
Ellie347

Female Join date : 2013-11-12

crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate Empty
PostSubject: HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate   crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 9:21 pm

So Ellie (19 months old) can no longer be trusted by herself and we must resort back to the crate. She willingly goes into it and we can leave the room with the door shut. Since the weekend, we've worked up to 30 minutes alone time in the crate. In the meantime, we've been sending her to daycare. Every time she comes home from daycare (today included), it's straight to the couch and she passes out until morning.

I decided to use this tiredness today as a way to accustom her to more alone time so I setup the webcam and went to the gym. I gave her a Kong with a few treats & peanut butter in it but only to distract my departure. She hung out for 31 minutes and was fighting to sleep. Then at minute 32, decided, "Hey, I want out." So for 5 minutes until I finally got home, she was biting at the latches (bottom one is pad locked though) and pawing at the bottom. I came in, paid no attention to her, no crying from her. A few minutes later, let her out on my command and she just walked out.

She headed right to her water bowl but she just drank a whole bowl before I left. Currently, she is back on the couch snoozing away. I'm at a loss on how to correct this. Just thinking of potential issues, do you guys provide a water bottle attached to the cage?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate   crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 11:02 pm

How would you describe the energy in the house or her and your mindset right before you get her in the crate with the distraction Kong?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Ellie347
Newborn
Newborn
Ellie347

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate   crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks Seattle for responding. Well today she was asleep before I put her in the crate but it's always a calm, happy command of "go to your crate". I've read up on how to not be nervous of the situation because she will pick up on it. I'm just concerned because daycare is obviously the most tiresome activity she could do and still fought sleeping to try and escape. We are going to add a water bottle to the crate and see if that changes anything.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate   crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 1:35 am

Okay, that's good to remember for sure.  

I think the number 1 way for anyone to combat separation anxiety in a crate is to minimize the difference between you being gone and you being there.

So if it is super exciting and energetic when you're there and then it's quiet and stable once you're gone, then that contrast is too much.   This is especially critical in the hour or so preceding crate time.   Also. crate her when you're there, too.  Build up in 5 minute intervals, and then let her out.  No big deal.  It's just a crate, it means relax and be calm, that's it.    That usually helps a ton.

This will help with her over all mindset at home, as well.  Huge dividends pay off from that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Ellie347
Newborn
Newborn
Ellie347

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate   crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks for the tips. We put her in the crate for an hour while we were home and no issues. Today, we left her alone for more than an hour and came back to a destroyed plastic bottom. We put her water bowl in there but that didn't make a difference. Do I replace the plastic bottom or try something different? I don't want to put her in there without a bottom since I would expect her to chew the carpet or scratch the floors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate   crate - HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP! Full day of daycare and still trying to get out of the crate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1