A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share
 

 Harness Suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Female Join date : 2013-06-03
Location : Newfoundland

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Hey!

We recently tried Jasper with pulling a sled and he loved it!! However his harness is not the proper one for this activity (its a Kong comfort harness w/traffic loop), he does alright with it but he gets tangled in the rope and it seems to put alot of pressure on his shoulders/neck.

So i'm looking for suggestions on what/where to order. I need something that ships to Canada and doesn't take too long to get here. Also, should add, that Jasper will not be pulling people.... just a small sled with some wood or buckets of water in it for weight. We're doing it for exercise, not function lol.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05
Location : seattle, wa

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Pretty much any padded sledding or pulling harness is going to be way better than that Kong one.

Alpine Outfitters is the most commonly used on this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Portland, OR

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 5:49 pm

I'd put in a plug for Nordkyn from Graham, WA.
http://nordkyn.com
Fast service and quality merchandise.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Michael - long time no hear... how is the house repair coming?
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Portland, OR

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Amy,
Thanks for asking.
As Roseann Roseannadana used to say, "it'a always something."

Outside roof is repaired, deck repaired, new gutters.
Can't paint or stain until spring.
Since we aren't really having winter this year, I hope that's soon.
Inside we have been inching along, but then my wife's mom died this week.
So everything is on hold for awhile.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 9:08 pm

@jalepeno wrote:
Amy,
Thanks for asking.
As Roseann Roseannadana used to say, "it'a always something."

Outside roof is repaired, deck repaired, new gutters.
Can't paint or stain until spring.
Since we aren't really having winter this year, I hope that's soon.
Inside we have been inching along, but then my wife's mom died this week.
So everything is on hold for awhile.

Sorry to hear about your MIL, please give my condolences to your wife.

Wow, your winter is almost over?!!?
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Portland, OR

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 3:26 am

No, we haven't had winter.
Cold early, then nothing.
No snow, no cold.
I haven't skied yet this year.
Mt. Hood has 40 inches of hard pack snow- supposed to be 150 now.
Fire season this summer will be bad if this doesn't turn around.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : Ohio

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 6:32 pm

Nooksack Racing is what I recommend to all the people I've helped get started with mushing, none have been disatisfied. I promote it at my mushing demos because I love it so much. Having experience with Alpine Outfitters, I won't recommend it. I have literally see two harnesses are stitched at completely different places and I'm not a fan of the quality. I know most people like it, but for the quality, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. If their quality and wait time improves, I'll be more than happy to recommend them.

Honestly the best part about Nooksack is it doesnt take long at all. From order date to package delivered date max I've had it take on all my orders is 14 days. Even in *busy* season. No waiting 6-8 weeks. Now, that shipping from US to US, so it could take a little longer, maybe 21 days, going to Canada? I'd double check and ask that she ships there but I'm pretty certain she does.

Since he's pulling a sled I'd say your standard x-back harness is what you want.
Back to top Go down
nichole.1990
Puppy
Puppy
nichole.1990

Female Join date : 2013-06-03
Location : Newfoundland

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 9:16 am

@Mobezilla wrote:
Nooksack Racing is what I recommend to all the people I've helped get started with mushing, none have been disatisfied. I promote it at my mushing demos because I love it so much. Having experience with Alpine Outfitters, I won't recommend it. I have literally see two harnesses are stitched at completely different places and I'm not a fan of the quality. I know most people like it, but for the quality, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. If their quality and wait time improves, I'll be more than happy to recommend them.

Honestly the best part about Nooksack is it doesnt take long at all. From order date to package delivered date max I've had it take on all my orders is 14 days. Even in *busy* season. No waiting 6-8 weeks. Now, that shipping from US to US, so it could take a little longer, maybe 21 days, going to Canada? I'd double check and ask that she ships there but I'm pretty certain she does.

Since he's pulling a sled I'd say your standard x-back harness is what you want.

Just sent them an e-mail about canadian shipping, just waiting on a reply now.
I was looking around on their website and it's slightly confusing haha.... but do you know if they make custom harnesses? or do I need to order from the standard sizes that are listed? because Jasper doesn't really fit any of the 'standard' sizes.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : Ohio

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 2:25 pm

@nichole.1990 wrote:

Just sent them an e-mail about canadian shipping, just waiting on a reply now.
I was looking around on their website and it's slightly confusing haha.... but do you know if they make custom harnesses? or do I need to order from the standard sizes that are listed? because Jasper doesn't really fit any of the 'standard' sizes.

The website is one thing, if anything, that I have complaint with lol. But honestly what I usually do is I call her, the website or the fb page should have the number, she accepts calls during business hours and can take payment right there or get you an invoice. She most certainly does custom sizes. Under harness extras it will say

Custom Sizes 2.50
Reflective Tape 2.00

Basically the standard sizes are just a tad cheaper cause she'll keep them on hand but obviously not all dogs fit a standard. All my orders have been custom orders though and still pretty fast.
Back to top Go down
Knichtus
Newborn
Newborn
Knichtus

Join date : 2015-01-23
Location : Dallas, Texas

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 12:06 am

If your not looking for a custom fit and maybe just want to get a harness for training and doing small stuff, I say check out coldspotfeeds.com. I own a large chested dog where an x-back is uncomfortable. We ordered her non-stop freemotion harness from there since we were looking for an adjustable h-back. They have great service, great shipping time, and the people are nice. They are also located in alaska like alpine outfitters.
Sorry about that got that confused with another site from my harness list. Embarassed
However since he is doing more so weight pull work and not necessarily sledding i would recommend going with a weight pull style of harness. Their is one on coldspotfeeds.com called the seavy harness. its $32.99 I believe the shipping from Alaska to where i am in Texas was about $6-$8, they have a function were you can estimate shipping when you place the item in your cart.: http://www.coldspotfeeds.com/mushing/harnesses/seavy-harness.html


Last edited by Knichtus on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : Ohio

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 3:01 am

@Knichtus wrote:
They are also located in alaska like alpine outfitters.

I'm confused, to my knowledge Alpine has a bunch of seamstresses based in a shop out of California. On their website they have California for their contact. Unless somethings changed?
Back to top Go down
Knichtus
Newborn
Newborn
Knichtus

Join date : 2015-01-23
Location : Dallas, Texas

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 4:37 am

@Mobezilla wrote:

@Knichtus wrote:
They are also located in alaska like alpine outfitters.


I'm confused, to my knowledge Alpine has a bunch of seamstresses based in a shop out of California. On their website they have California for their contact. Unless somethings changed?

Sorry i got confused. LOL I get alpine outfitters often mixed up with another site. Let me correct that, your right.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : Ohio

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 5:25 am

@Knichtus wrote:

Sorry i got confused. LOL I get alpine outfitters often mixed up with another site. Let me correct that, your right.

NPs I just wanted to know for myself!!! Just threw me off lol.
Back to top Go down
Barczewska
Puppy
Puppy
Barczewska

Female Join date : 2014-07-21
Location : Ottawa, Ontario

Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Keeping an eye on this topic!

Looking to invest in a sled for next winter for the boys Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Harness Suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harness Suggestions?   Harness Suggestions? Empty

Back to top Go down
 

Harness Suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» WEBSITE suggestions: Layout, Design, Etc
» Gallery: Personal Album suggestions/questions
» New Forum Ranks - Member suggestions
» Need suggestions for potatoes, please!
» A few SFG tips & thoughts...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: The Reference Section :: Product Reviews/Recommendations-