It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Too many treats??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 12:01 am

So today was Mylo's first day of puppy class. He did good interacting with all 10 pups! I gave him more treats than ever today. The trainer said to come with a hungry pup..but I still gave him a very little breakfast portion.
So I'm wondering...well first let me say he pooped three times today.
Morning, perfect...afternoon, perfect....later in the afternoon, perfect...then right now.. he had runny stool...whaaaaa??!??
Then after he pooped he let out a little drop of a slightly yellow/mucus looking fluid. Should I be concerned? Did all those treats make his tummy upset and barely took effect right now?
I never give him excessive treats but this is the only thing I can think of that could a sensible reason for his runny stool.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 1:02 am

David, yes too many treats will give runny poos, in fact too much food in general will produce that. Overfeeding is usually the biggest problem with new husky owners. Also, do you feed grain free? Is his treats grain free? I noticed with Miya I fed grain free, but didn't pay attention to her treats, and wondered why runny poo. so double check to make sure your treats are grain free too. Also, I'm not a huge fan of treat giving for training, use a treat that you can break up into tiny bites, goes farther, and he will eat less. I'm a praise based person, if you are wondering why I mentioned that, lol. Great to hear he did well.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 2:06 am

You have made a very astute deduction there David Smile Since we're both Texans, I can't disagree with Renee (wouldn't anyway) what I've found to work VERY well for training are liver treats. They're about the size of a pencil eraser (okay, maybe a little bigger) but most dogs will do back flips for them. The best one are nothing but freeze dried (cows?) liver so you have to keep them refrigerated or someplace that's very cool and dry - if they get moist and go moldy, they're bad for the dogs and stink to high heaven!!.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 2:22 am

Haha, Al, it's ok to give pups treats for training, but they're like junkies, they get hooked, and as stubborn as huskies are you don't want to feed your 5 year old 60 pounder treats to sit every time you ask, lol. David, there is a non refrigerated liver treat that you can get too, some people use string cheese. Miya is a minority in the husky world, she has never responded to treats to train, patting her on the shoulder and saying good girl, she was very receptive doing that and still is.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 2:24 am

I'm starting to feel like this is an all Texan thread..... lol!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 8:45 am

Yeah I know about the overfeeding thing. My treat selection is Blue Buffalo Bits. They are shaped like little hearts but I still split them up. I think they are grain free.
The puppy class was an hour long (11am-12am) and almost for the entire hour he was getting treats…I didn't think much about it until he pooped runny. Then the trainer gave him some of her own little ham treats once or twice. I gave him dinner as always at 6pm but only half a cup because I was a little concerned about all the treat consumption.
Now I'm curious to ask the other owners if their pups had runny stools in the night.
Hmmm cool, I should try liver treats on my boy! and really string cheese? I'll try that too sometime.

Heyyy I don't mind an all Texan thread!! afro

Update: he vomited a little bit of a clear saliva looking substance.
He licked it up before I could snap a pic.
He's still responsive to food so I gave him like 7 pieces if kibble in a kong wobbler thingy.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 1:17 pm

I'll break up the Texas-ness with another suggestion.

We used Zuke's mini treats for training which are already small and split those up for classes. Just another suggestion.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 1:31 pm

David - string cheese. Ami will do back flips, foreward flips, a half gainer with a double twist...clean the house and wash the windows for string cheese lol!

Too much food...pudding poop. Too many treats?? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 2:24 pm

David, the clear throw up typically means empty belly, lol, after all that pooping he probably does have an empty belly Smile Funny you mention the treats, Miya couldn't eat the can food from Blue, so I have always avoided that brand for anything, Miya has never been an over eater, and still got runny poos with Blue. Also the ham treats may be too rich for him. I think we gave you some great ideas, Zukes are mentioned on the forum often as well as the liver and yup string cheese, lol. Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 3:05 pm

I sparingly give my boy treats and he likes all flavors of blue bits so that's why I'm with that brand for treats and dental chews since he has responded well to them. I tried Zukes when he was younger but he didn't respond to those very well, or maybe it was just coincidence? So I have stuck with Blue Bits.
And wow now I'm really considering string cheese! I'm gonna try to get some today and record him tasting it.
I'm worried sick cause I have to leave him alone on Sunday mornings for 5 hours. I'm hoping there's no diarrhea when I get back..cross fingers haha.

And I just want to say that this forum is awesome!
I'm a glad this exists for people like me that worry about anything that goes out of the ordinary.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 5:11 pm

David, I won't say anything bad about Blue but you might want to do a search on "Blue Buffalo Recalls".  There are too many people who love it to get into a pissing match.  I looked around and my food of choice is now Fromm Adult from PetFlow.

While there has never been a recall with any of the Fromm line, there are reports on the web about contamination with Clostridium Bacteria.  My personal opinion is that Fromm is an excellent food and both my kids love it.
One of the "problems" with Fromm is that it's a high protein food, your dog may (probably will) not need as much ... and of course, over eating of any food seems to result in the inevitable "loose stools".

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 5:24 pm

I'll definitely check out the Fromm line of treats. Now I will clarify that I only have blue treats NOT food.
For breakfast, mid day portion, and dinner I feed my boy Dr. Tims Kineses. He loves it and then I have merrick canned food for the occasional kong snack combined with some kibble too sometimes.
And I just got back home and Mylos stool looked perfect!! That was a good 20 hour fast...So I have him half a cup cause I know he's really hungry but didn't think a full cup is okay just yet.
Back to top Go down
LoneWolf
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2015-03-10

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 9:20 pm

I am wondering something along these lines as well. My dog seems OK with puppy chow, but I have been giving her those facon treats during training. She has had diarrhea on off since I got her. I am wondering if it is the treats and if anyone has recommendations for weak stomach treats.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Too many treats?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many treats??   Too many treats?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Too many treats??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1