It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Koda's Seizure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 12:47 am

So first off, HI.  I know it's been forever since I've posted.  Life is just crazy busy-- John and I are trying to finish the house addition and we're both working insane hours.  Just a ton going on.  I still lurk but obviously I'm not an active poster anymore.

Sadly, I come bearing some news that isn't great.  About two months ago (Nov 2014) Koda scared the ever-living crap out of us and had a seizure.  I thought I posted about it, but I can't seem to find said post. so I'm guessing I never did.  John heard a noise from the other room and we came out to see Koda on the floor, his whole body tense (like his entire body was stuck in a cramp).  He was breathing heavy, his eyes wide and dilated, and he was somewhat convulsing.  It seems more like he was struggling to get out of his hyper-tensive position and failing.  This lasted about 3 full minutes.  In that time, I was able to get our vet on the phone.  They talked me through things and got us an emergency appointment right away.

Koda seemed to come out of it rather slowly, but once it was fully over, he got up and walked around like normal.  He seemed totally normal.  We fed Hailey and took Koda to the vet (only 5 mins away).  Once there, they checked his vitals and we went in with one of the vets (the normal one we saw was not in).  He explained that seizures can happen and that what we should be mindful of is seizures occurring in short/close clusters or one lasting longer than 10 mins.  As this was his first, and he was acting totally normal, we kept an eye on him for 24 hours and when no further seizures happened, we hoped all would be well and it'd be a one-time thing.

Well, Koda hasn't had any since, but starting a couple of weeks after that, we started noticing some odd behavior.  For those who know Koda, he's fearless (to a fault).  He was a stray the first few months of his life and it gave him quite the ego.  The only thing he's ever been frightened of is a turtle the first time he saw one (go figure) and baby gates (one accidentally fell on him and Hailey while they were sleeping so they both think gates randomly come to life).  Well, a few weeks after the seizure, Koda started fearing things in the house.  He would be more hesitant to jump down off the bed, the couch, etc.  He would randomly twitch or get frightened by "nothing".  Now, more recently, he gets so afraid of jumping off the couch, he sits there and cries even if it is meal time.  He's been afraid to walk around Hailey to get to his food bowl.

At first we thought he was just being a drama-queen.  We had done some major traveling over the break and I was gone for several weeks.  However, the more I studied his behavior, the more it seemed like his eyesight was going.  It seemed like he was starting to see shadows of what's there instead of actual objects.  Like his depth perception was gone.

So, for his annual checkup, I mentioned it right away to the vet (this was this past Thursday 2/12/15).  I asked the vet to check his eyes because I thought he was losing his sight.  Koda is only 7, so this would be extremely young.  The vet was curious why I asked and I explained what had been going on.  He seemed surprised that I jumped to his sight as the problem, but when he looked that quickly changed.  He said that the vascularity in his eyes was irregular.  He said this would caused an interruption in Koda's depth perception and would definitely explain his symptoms.

The sad part... he said as far as he knows, there is no treatment for this and with all likelihood, he believes Koda's condition will just continue to deteriorate. Sad He gave us a referral to see an ophthalmologist in order to more precisely diagnose Koda's condition and hopefully suggest some sort of treatment option.  While he can't say for certain (seems he thinks the ophthalmologist will), he believes this to be a result of Koda's seizure.  The timing is right and it would have taken a few weeks for things to degenerate enough that we'd start to see symptoms.

So... a novel, I know... but that's our story.  My fearless, 7 year old boy is gong blind and right now there is nothing we can do about it and the prognosis isn't good.  John and I are heartbroken over this.  Watching Koda scared to move about the house is gut wrenching.  We're trying to pick up the pace on the renovations so that we can get the house to a normal state.  That way, if Koda's eyes will only deteriorate, we can try to give him time to learn the new layout before he loses his sight completely.

I'll try to update once we know more from the eye doctor, but that's where we are now.  Wish I had better news to be popping back in with, but that's what's new with us.  Miss you all and thanks as always for being a great husky family.

Love,
Tori, John, Koda & Hailey

Koda's Seizure Hailey10
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Tori - while we haven't "met", I am so sorry to hear of this.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 12:35 pm

Oh Tori, I'm sorry to hear that. Sad I hope the ophthalmologist will have more answers for you guys. *hugs*

Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks, Ladies. Sad I still can't believe it sometimes. He still plays outside like normal, but he's a totally different dog in the house.

Koda's Seizure Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 10:01 pm

If I were you, I'd be going to a neurologist and holistic vet too, so learn about alternative treatment.

I'm so sorry for you, but I hope it can be easily managed. Poor guy is probably miserable.

If you don't mind, I'd love to ask around about a good opthamologist In your area. I'm sure the husky community will know some fantastic people.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 10:29 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
If I were you, I'd be going to a neurologist and holistic vet too, so learn about alternative treatment.

I'm so sorry for you, but I hope it can be easily managed. Poor guy is probably miserable.

If you don't mind, I'd love to ask around about a good opthamologist In your area. I'm sure the husky community will know some fantastic people.
You're welcome to post on FB and ask around. We are open to all suggestions. I hate seeing him like this Sad

Koda's Seizure Hailey10
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 pm

I second the neurologist idea as well. its a shame you aren't closer to Cornell, from what I've heard they have an awesome college of vet medicine. I can poke around my epilepsy circles and see what's in your area. If you could, I'd bring you down here to Shadow's neuro, she's incredible.

As I said via text, I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this. It breaks my heart every time someone else pops up with seizures and associated issues Sad

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Koda's Seizure 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 12:49 am

Hugs to you and Koda. I do hope you might find some alternative and better news down another path, although I have no suggestions outside of those already made. Sad

Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Really sorry to hear about your pup Sad My aunt's dog went blind fairly young as well, around 8 or 9 but she lived a long happy life - she had a Pekinese, and her dog went through very similar behavior - timid, scared, whining, just really unsure about things. However as time went on she started to adapt to things, she was able to get around the house fairly well just had a harder time in new places. So hopefully when you finish the house and things have their place you see some improvement in that. Sending prayers your way and hope there is some turn around for you!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Just caught up Tori. I wanted to say definitely check out the ophthalmologist.  Different situation but some similarities for the depth perception / eye sight failure so I wanted to over some insight to hopefully let you know eye sight lose is recoverable and they become happy again.   My first sibe Butkis lost an eye to glaucoma.  The first day we noticed the pressure he was slow moving and sluggish like a sick dog. He did not want to jump on or off the couch. We had a mid morning appt with the regular vet who recommended a opth. and we got in that afternoon as reg vet thought surgery was in order.  By afternoon you could tell Butkis was a grumpy gus so all behavior was out the window. He would flinch and kind of walk into things ie door jams etc. During the Opth. visit they gave drops to lower pressures to make him more comfortable. (Doubt you need that) but he was able to give us ALOT more insight than the reg vet. The microscope they use is way better and they see so much more. We chose surgery to remove his eye. ( and biopsy to see if his other could be impacted.) His eye was removed and not "seeing" helped so much. Yes the pressure and pain was gone but he did not sleep in the corner after surgery which was a hiding / security technique he used for the first two days until surgery.  Not sure how much the whinny dissipated due to pressure and pain relief versus adjustment to the scare. When he got back we notice his bad depth perception and as the opth. said during check up uh he has none now.  What we saw was he slept with his back to something for the first several months but got used to it and eventually sleep right in the middle of a room again.  He banged his head on the same kitchen table we had for years at first but eventually did it less even though during excitement he would conk him self forgetting it was so close.  First several weeks he would walk into the garage and head for the door but end up overshooting it by two feet. But that too was something that stopped.  Now yes he had one eye when he lost the other at 9. But by the time he was 14 he was loosing the eyesight to old age in the other eye and they believed all he saw was shadows.  He progressed just fine just missed the throw biscuit alot. He did just fine going into his 16 year when you could tell he was just letting old man time kick his A..

On another note our dog play dates include Atreyu who lost his eye to macular (sp) degeneration I believe. Until recently he had cataract clouds and a different drug took those away even though he is still blind.  He does great playing at the meets he goes to our mushing demos and he even does walky dog. At a meet he checks in more that other dogs seems to rely on mom saying I'm here but does awesome.  

So in summary he should adjust and the scaredom and whine sessions should simmer down.

Hopefully once he gets the ghost shadows that are sneaking up and scaring him under control he will do good. Have you thought of a blindfold when he gets too scared? The question is just a pure thought of my own nothing I have heard from vet or opth.

Good luck keep us apprised!

amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I've read of a few instances where a seeing dog will act as a sort of a seeing eye dog for a companion...maybe intime, Hailey will step up for Koda?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Tori, I too haven't met you, but you're all in my thoughts.

My best friend in high school, her mom lived in Glenville. went to college in Utica, lived in Herkimer for a short time. My sister currently lives in Unadilla, my dad still lives in Freeville. Ahhh, memories, lived 15 miles from Cornell growing up. So I have to agree with Mer, if you can find a way, imho, Cornell is the number one vet school in the US!! And I certainly remember those back country roads, so I do know that it is a few hours away, but if you don't get the answers that you want, try and contact Cornell.

I wish Koda the best. Miya has her paws crossed for him and that he turns around soon.

Hugs Smile
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 5:49 pm

So sorry to hear about Koda. Sending prayers and warm thoughts to you guys.
Back to top Go down
Leighanna
Puppy
Puppy
Leighanna

Female Join date : 2014-09-22

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:39 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Koda. I hope everything will get better for him. Sending prayers to you guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Koda's Seizure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's Seizure   Koda's Seizure Empty

Back to top Go down

Koda's Seizure

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1