It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Any idea what these puppies will look like?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
icsy7687
Newborn
Newborn

Any idea what these puppies will look like? Empty
PostSubject: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 12:09 pm

I have found a breeder, and the puppies will be available on april 6th!  I am very excited and I have been thinking about getting a dog for a very long time. (Ill try to keep the intro short!)

I love the grey husky coat and this is what I have always imagined and wanted!
Any idea what these puppies will look like? 2234414_f260

I think these puppies will be darker, but I was curious on your opinions on how the coats will come out.

First Female:
Any idea what these puppies will look like? 084-Available-Female-3_zps861ca91d

Any idea what these puppies will look like? 082-Available-Female-3_zps54bd0b42

Second:
Any idea what these puppies will look like? 071-Available-Female-2_zpsa22402a3

I hope anyone on the east coast is staying warm!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Both of those puppies are black/white...it is hard to predict masking as it changes so much over the first year-two years of their life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 pm

My boy Keegan is closer to the color you are wanting- This is him as a 24 hour old puppy (middle/blue collar)- this is what a silver coat appears as at this age.

[img]Any idea what these puppies will look like? 14412110[/img]

Recent 15 months old
Any idea what these puppies will look like? 10292385_770902999644597_8447930284306896235_n
Back to top Go down
icsy7687
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 1:38 pm

beautiful dogs!

I really like the black and white color as well and I don't know if it is enough to stop me from putting a deposit down! I dont think any other breed have litters coming any time soon around me.

Thank you both for your quick replies!
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Personally they look Sable to me. However, my eyes aren't trained to pick out what a husky will look like after coat changes. lol
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 6:48 pm

I love a silver coat as well and was actually what I originally wanted but when I saw those babies, I ended up with a black/ white. Color is only a part, personality is what matters most.

With that I do want a silver/gray for my next pup though.

WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 12:45 am

Mine turned out a variation of grey or wolf/grey she is the puppy in this picture. Light cream color on the sides with a darker stripe down her back and she got darker as she aged and now she looks like the profile pic I have. Definitely hard to tell from a puppy pic that young but the two you showed may be more like the malamutes color in my pic.

Any idea what these puppies will look like? Img_1210
Back to top Go down
icsy7687
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I contacted the breeder and I will be visiting them this friday to put down a deposit!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Be sure to ask to see the parent's OFA/CERF(CAER) clearances.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyTue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 pm

We have a silver from Karnovanda Kennels. They produce quite a few silvery dogs,not at many darks.

The puppies in your pictures and definitely black and white, at the minimum dilute black. Who is this breeder? We can probably provide you with more info if we could see the lineage
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
icsy7687
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks for the post!

http://www.huskies4life.com/

The mom looks like the "diluted black", and the dad is pretty dark.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 5:54 pm

I would not purchase from them. I'm not going to get into depth, but this is a kennel I would run from...
Back to top Go down
icsy7687
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 6:25 pm

Actually I would love to hear why! I have looked around at many of the other husky breeders around my area and the family breeder seems pretty reputable to me. Also most all the other breeders around this area seem to not have any litters or expected litters any time soon, while others have litters reserved through 2016!

I was thinking about going to visit them Friday, checking out the mom and dad and putting a deposit down if I liked the parents and their home. So your opinions mean a lot to me! Especially before I go and visit them.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 pm

I couldn't find any pedigree information or genetic health testing indications.

Is this information not given?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Ok I'm jumping on this......please reconsider this "breeder", I too went and took a look. Please look around more. They did not post any health info/nor pedigree info as Jeff stated. I took a quick look, but I do not see any info on championship info of their adult dogs, nor any racing champs. These dogs are not proven quality dogs. As Huskymom09 said get the hip and eye certificates(Btw, go to huskymom09's website she has a ton of info and sample contracts so you know what to look for). Sadly, I will say for $950, you are paying huge money to a glorified back yard breeder. The dog on the main page I mistook for a German Shepherd, and a quick look at their females, they looked out of standard, my eye is not trained as well as Megan and Huskymom09, but I feel they may agree with me. Please reconsider. Megan may know of a quality breeder near you, have patience, you'll get your husky that you dream of......
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 7:19 pm

I second that.

Making a commitment to a good breeder sometimes means waiting longer than you'd like for your puppy, but given the principles and health issues involved, the wait is well worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:27 pm

I agree with the others on staying far away from that breeder. They gave you good information already but as seattlesibe said it can mean waiting longer than expected to find a reputable breeder. It took me a year to find a good breeder and waited until a litter was expected. Generally I think a good breeder only has litters to better their current stock and progress toward the breed. And breeders who are interested in the future owner of their puppies, the living situation they will be selling their dog into, etc. Breeders who don't practice this usually are in it for monetary gain and nothing else. You can tell by the lack of genetic and medical information on that particular site. It is better to wait a long time for a genuine breeder to have a litter than purchase out of impulse from a "shady" breeder. Also shca.org has a breeder referral directory by state you can easily find breeders from in your area that are AKC registered and follow strict guidelines for breeding.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 9:17 pm

The breeder does no health testing, pedigrees are not linked, dogs are out of standard, and they sell their puppies for more than the best breeders in my area (I am in the Mecca of Siberian breeders). On top of all that, they also sell nuvet vitamins. Nuvet is a scheme and they get a kick back so they will make puppy buyers pay for it monthly so they are constantly getting money out of you.

I understand you want a puppy and you want one soon, but you need to do what is best for your heart and your wallet and go to someone with healthy, safe, and tested puppies. It's worth it to wait.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 9:44 am

How about Trilium Blue?

http://trilliumblue.us/trillium/
Back to top Go down
icsy7687
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Guys,

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I think I will still go and visit but I will definitely wait to put down any deposits. Please keep in mind I am not looking for a show dog, but I do understand the merits of getting a good line that you know is healthy!

I did email the breeder about some of the health issue and she told me. She did get the parents eyes tested but has not had a chance to send in the paperwork. Her father had passed away and has caused some delays. I tried visiting them last weekend but told me that it was not the best time because of this.

From the eye test I the mother had an eye lash that grew into the wrong place, and the father has PPM (PERSISTENT PUPILLARY MEMBRANES) which I am told is not ideal but usually does not affect the dogs health wise. The OFA on the mother was rated excellent, and the father was rated as "good" and she can show me all of the paperwork.

As I said, I do very very much appreciate all of your quick feedback and welcome any more. I am a little bit new to all of this information as most of my experience with dogs have been through rescues!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Believe me when I say I've been there. I did my research, thought I had picked a good breeder, they said all the right things, did all the right things, they even had pictures of their dogs being shown. I didn't know about the health testing such as CERF/OFA and I was torn because I wanted a silver/gray but all they had were blacks. I had already waited a year for a litter and for my pick to come up, I didn't want to miss my opportunity so I picked.

Then after I brought my pup home at almost 9 weeks old, I found out that the pups were taken from mom around 5 weeks old because she had weaned them. Yes, they were kept with each other but aside from their siblings they had no socialization even though they raved how they'd be in the house and socialized, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I love my boy (now 2 years later), but had I decided to wait and find a better breeder I would probably have a better socialized dog with less resource guarding and a more even temperament.

If I were you, despite the pull you feel, I would wait. Trillium Blue is a great kennel and is in your area. There is also Kristari Kennels not far in Tennesee and from what I know she has great dogs with great temperaments as well.  And yes, you may have to wait a little longer for the puppy you long for.

Not wanting a show dog does not mean you shouldn't want to support a reputable breeder who is doing all the right things with their dogs to produce healthy generations to come. This kennel you are interested looks like a BYB, sorry to say it. They have no pedigree info, no age information, or even AKC #s available to view on their website. Not having ANY information about their dogs is a major red flag to me.

mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 pm

icsy7687 wrote:
Guys,

Thanks so much for the quick replies.  I think I will still go and visit but I will definitely wait to put down any deposits.  Please keep in mind I am not looking for a show dog, but I do understand the merits of getting a good line that you know is healthy!

I did email the breeder about some of the health issue and she told me.  She did get the parents eyes tested but has not had a chance to send in the paperwork.  Her father had passed away and has caused some delays.  I tried visiting them last weekend but told me that it was not the best time because of this.

From the eye test I the mother had an eye lash that grew into the wrong place, and the father has PPM (PERSISTENT PUPILLARY MEMBRANES) which I am told is not ideal but usually does not affect the dogs health wise.  The OFA on the mother was rated excellent, and the father was rated as "good" and she can show me all of the paperwork.

As I said, I do very very much appreciate all of your quick feedback and welcome any more.  I am a little bit new to all of this information as most of my experience with dogs have been through rescues!

Health and structure is not about being a show dog, it's about a healthy dog whether that be a pet, show dog or working dog. I really get frustrated when people imply that health testing is only important for show dogs. I don't go around telling people to go to ethical breeders because I want everyone to have show dogs. I want them to have healthy dogs. I don't want people paying the thousands I have paid to support a dog with health problems.

I'm bowing out of this because I don't think anything I say will convince you to not support this persons breeding ethics.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 10:58 pm

As I stated before, genetic health and structural integrity are more than important for all dogs...not just 'show dogs'.  I, like Megan, get highly irritated at the idea that only show dogs are worth being born healthy, with bodies and minds that are sound, to be able to enjoy a long fulfilled life unimpeded by heritable disease/disorder.  Trust me when I say there is nothing worse than having a dog with the heart and drive of a Siberian Husky, in a body that fails them. Any breeder who discards the basics won't be there when things go wrong with the pup.  A breeder who is not doing their due diligence by the breed isn't doing the breed or their puppy buyers any favors in the long run.  Like Megan, the last thing I enjoy reading is the thousands of dollars people spend to ease the side effects of PREVENTABLE heritable disease/disorder.

Is there a reason this breeder just HAD to breed this pair of dogs with heritable eye disorders?  How can any breeder with any sense of ethics in good conscience breed a dog who's eye health is deemed by them 'no big deal'.   With the plethora of eye disorders this breed suffers, CLEAR eye health is so important (which needs to be tested annually in breeding candidates).  What, excluding the eye issues, deems this pair of dogs a testimate to the breed as a whole? Are they outstanding working dogs?  Are they highly successful show dogs?  My guess is that they are a pair of pets who resemble the Siberian Husky in looks and someone knew they could make money off of their progeny.  With little to nothing having to be paid into proving them worthy of breeding, health testing them, or anything really. As a breeder, the number one job laid before us is being good breed stewards. Preserving our breed's health, integrity, and functionality to what they were originally intended. Without breeder integrity and breeding ethics we will lose our breeds.

Last edited by HuskyMom09 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 11:01 pm

Here's a great article that should be a must read for all those who Don't want a 'show dog'....

http://rufflyspeaking.net/i-dont-want-a-show-dog-i-just-want-a-pet/
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 am

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Here's a great article that should be a must read for all those who Don't want a 'show dog'....

http://rufflyspeaking.net/i-dont-want-a-show-dog-i-just-want-a-pet/

Lani - this is a great site! I've been reading all the articles. Thanks for posting the link.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any idea what these puppies will look like?   Any idea what these puppies will look like? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any idea what these puppies will look like?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1