It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adjusting to a new pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mayzie
Newborn
Newborn

Adjusting to a new pup Empty
PostSubject: Adjusting to a new pup   Adjusting to a new pup EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 12:38 am

I am new here however, I figured this might be the best place to get information from those with experience that google cannot provide. I have had a husky boxer mix for the past year, she was 3 months old and a delightful and obedient dog. Given the nature of the breeds she is a bi-product of, I have always been very firm and dominant with her yet loving. She was perfectly cage trained and the only issue we had with her that was a struggle is an occasional bark when she was outside at passer bys.

About two weeks ago, I got a new pure bred husky. She was supposedly a ten week old pup born on December 5th. When I picked her up, I had expected her to be bigger, but did not really think about it. Now that she has reached the 3 month mark and I have spent a lot of time working with her. I have an inkling that they were not so honest about her age. She does not even weigh ten pounds, and comes to my knees and I am only 5'3". Also, at 3 months Ali, had grasped the concept of potty training and was able to tell me when she had to go potty before she had to. Zuka, the new pup, she doesn't let me know till after she does her business and even though I am taking her out every 2 hours or so, she is having a lot of accidents in her house and her crate. She is a very loving dog and loves to snuggle and play, I just am a bit worried that she is a lot younger than I was told and I am not sure if that will have any affect on training and raising her.

My other issue is with Ali. Since the arrival of Zuka, she has been absolutely bad. It is not as if she is jealous and acting out, more so like an excited toddler who has forgotten everything she knew. She does not want to come in side at all, to the point where I chase her around the yard several times before I successfully get her inside. Getting her in her cage is even more of a struggle. It is like she has reverted back to a completely untrained pup and my nerves are shot. I try my best to be firm and not angry and hide my frustration from her. But I am really at my wits end and am pretty sure fighting with her has put my back out of place given that she is close to 100 pounds. Despite her forgetting everything, she is not like defiant about it for the sake of being defiant, she just wants to play. I am not sure where to progress with the situation. Right now I am at a point where I continue to enforce the rules that have always been in place and am trying to be a strong "alpha" but deep down I really am praying that she comes to her senses and is just going through a phase. Does anyone have any experience with anything similar?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Adjusting to a new pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adjusting to a new pup   Adjusting to a new pup EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 3:05 am

I'm sorry you feel you were duped by the people who sold you your puppy. I don't think it matters much for your behavioral concerns here, but, for you personally that's just a hard pull to swallow.  

So from a training perspective,  your dogs, especially your puppy, just have too much freedom to do what they want when they want. Why do I say this? Two reasons:

- your puppy isn't being house trained properly.......because of too much freedom

-your two dogs are escalating to an excited state to the point of disobedience and frustrating you......because of too much freedom.  

Dogs don't need to play all the time, unmoderated at their every whim. With two dogs especially you need to start limiting their impulses and controlling indoors with more boundaries and structure.   I strongly recommend that you start training with the doorway to your house as an On/Off switch.  If they have free reign in the yard , great ( don't Ever chase your dog in an attempt to get them to Obey you. You are training the dog to think of you as a game and discouraging obedience).  But the second they walk through the door, play time is over.  You absolutely have to step in and disengage any behaviors that will escalate the energy level and end in bratty , rambunctious playfulness:

-running
-zoomies
-barking
-wrestling
-targeting or staring
-toy excitement
-etc

Your older dog needs to know Down with a strong Stay and Place command, which is just hang out on this thing and don't leave until released.

Your puppy should be learning these as well and be spending more time on leash indoors , basically tethered to you . This will be the key for house training and teaching calmness indoors.

They should both be waiting politely at doorways , especially coming into the house .  If they can freely bolt through the door at will that means inside is a free for all and excitement, which is the opposite of what you want.

Your older dog has relapsed due to the excitement of having a playmate and them both having a free for all and too much access to one another without boundaries and structure.  

Time to up your game at training right now. Once this puppy gets to the 7-8 month range it will get 10 times worse if you don't set the foundation right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com

Adjusting to a new pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1