It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Still hasn't dropped :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

Still hasn't dropped :(  Empty
PostSubject: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 2:52 pm

So I took my boy to the vet today to get him weighed for his Iverhart Max tablet. He's now 21 pounds and will be 6 months in about two weeks affraid
The vet said his right side testicle still hasn't dropped…and that if it doesn't drop by the time he's 6 months then he's gonna need surgery (automatic neutering) to prevent problems in the future. She did tell me to hold on until he's 7 months.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there still hope?
I have no intentions in breeding him or anything but I just feel "forced" to have him neutered now. And then knowing that they will be opening him up just freaks me out…sighhhhhhh Sad Sad

Oh and I did contact the breeder to ask if the sire had this when he was a pup but she said nope.

This is Mylo today
Still hasn't dropped :(  Photo_11
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 3:32 pm

Jen (wpskier) has dealt with this but I know that she's out of town this weekend but may have a chance to drop in and give some advice. Wink

Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

Female Join date : 2015-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 3:07 pm

he's almost 6 months? He looks so tiny! My Rascal took his time, at 3 months and half only 1 had dropped, the second I think it dropped between the 5th and 6th month. But he looks so much more like an adult dog compared to yours! The picture I have in my avatar would be him and he's now bit over 6 months.
Edit to add: he now weights 17/18 kg.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 am

davecerv wrote:
So I took my boy to the vet today to get him weighed for his Iverhart Max tablet. He's now 21 pounds and will be 6 months in about two weeks affraid
The vet said his right side testicle still hasn't dropped…and that if it doesn't drop by the time he's 6 months then he's gonna need surgery (automatic neutering) to prevent problems in the future. She did tell me to hold on until he's 7 months.
I have no intentions in breeding him or anything but I just feel "forced" to have him neutered now. And then knowing that they will be opening him up just freaks me out…sighhhhhhh Sad Sad

Oh and I did contact the breeder to ask if the sire had this when he was a pup but she said nope.

This is Mylo today

Hi again. Yes, I have extensive experience with this. A lot of vets do say that if it is undescended at 6 months, then to neuter right away. I did a lot of research on this and from what I found, there is no harm in waiting until he's older, as long as you don't wait 'too' long. What's too long? Well, that's the grey area. A lot of breeders say to wait until they are a year old if it is undescended to see if it drops naturally. Essentially, the long term (I'm talking 5-7 years) health issue is testicular cancer. However, that is not going to happen from 6-12 months of age, so if you feel more comfortable waiting, it's completely up to you. I had Diz done at 11 months, but wish I would have waited until he was 2.

In terms of the sire having the issue as a pup, this is actually genetically passed from the mother. It is a 'sex linked trait' meaning it is on the x-chromosome. The way to remove it from the breed would be to stop breeding females that pass it to their pups. Anyway, to answer your questions, yes there is still hope, and don't let your vet bully you into anything. Starting at about 5 months, Dizzy's vet called me every couple weeks to do his 'pre-neuter exam and bloodwork.' I finally told them to eff off and I would call when I damn well pleased.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 11:12 am

Lily82 wrote:
he's almost 6 months? He looks so tiny! My Rascal took his time, at 3 months and half only 1 had dropped, the second I think it dropped between the 5th and 6th month. But he looks so much more like an adult dog compared to yours! The picture I have in my avatar would be him and he's now bit over 6 months.
Edit to add:  he now weights 17/18 kg.

Yep he will be 6 moths on April 9th! Like I said he was only 21 pounds when he was weighed a couple days ago. He's happy and healthy though so maybe he won't grow as much or just growing super slow (he was the smallest compared to the rest of the litter). I remember he was the last one to have both his ears erect. His right ear was up until he was 6 weeks old.
I've read stories that sometimes the small pups will grow bigger than the average but I wouldn't mind if he stays smaller than the average sibe haha.
Maybe it's taking longer to drop since hes smaller?
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

Female Join date : 2015-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 am

davecerv wrote:

Yep he will be 6 moths on April 9th! Like I said he was only 21 pounds when he was weighed a couple days ago. He's happy and healthy though so maybe he won't grow as much or just growing super slow (he was the smallest compared to the rest of the litter). I remember he was the last one to have both his ears erect. His right ear was up until he was 6 weeks old.
I've read stories that sometimes the small pups will grow bigger than the average but I wouldn't mind if he stays smaller than the average sibe haha.
Maybe it's taking longer to drop since hes smaller?

I really think so, he's so small. And as wpskier222 told you, don't get so worried yet, I would at least give him 1 year time, but I read a lot of vet's opinions saying you could wait to 2 years if you don't notice any weird behavior or sign to be worried about
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 11:38 am

wpskier222 wrote:

davecerv wrote:

This is Mylo today

Hi again. Yes, I have extensive experience with this. A lot of vets do say that if it is undescended at 6 months, then to neuter right away. I did a lot of research on this and from what I found, there is no harm in waiting until he's older, as long as you don't wait 'too' long. What's too long? Well, that's the grey area. A lot of breeders say to wait until they are a year old if it is undescended to see if it drops naturally. Essentially, the long term (I'm talking 5-7 years) health issue is testicular cancer. However, that is not going to happen from 6-12 months of age, so if you feel more comfortable waiting, it's completely up to you. I had Diz done at 11 months, but wish I would have waited until he was 2.

In terms of the sire having the issue as a pup, this is actually genetically passed from the mother. It is a 'sex linked trait' meaning it is on the x-chromosome. The way to remove it from the breed would be to stop breeding females that pass it to their pups. Anyway, to answer your questions, yes there is still hope, and don't let your vet bully you into anything. Starting at about 5 months, Dizzy's vet called me every couple weeks to do his 'pre-neuter exam and bloodwork.' I finally told them to eff off and I would call when I damn well pleased.

What a relief..I'm totally okay with waiting a little longer since he's a smaller that average sized sibe. I think I'll wait until he's 1yr old or close to being 1yr old. Wow that's very interesting that it comes from the mother..I would've never thought that.
So a male pup with this issue isn't capable to pass it on then?
My vet is cool and isn't bullying me in to anything. I think I'm lucky to have the vet I have.
Affordable, nice, and never pushy. The only downside is the wait sometimes (it's a no appointment vet).
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 11:44 am

Well, a male pup with this issue shouldn't be bred (I know you aren't planning on it, just saying generally Smile ). See, being that it's on the x chromosome, a male pup would only have one x, inherited form his ma (hence, causing the issue). That means, all female puppies produced from a little sired by him would be carriers (female pups get one x from each parent, male pups get an x from ma, and a y from pa). It wouldn't effect their fertility, but they have at least a 50/50 chance to pass it on.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 12:03 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Well, a male pup with this issue shouldn't be bred (I know you aren't planning on it, just saying generally Smile ). See, being that it's on the x chromosome, a male pup would only have one x, inherited form his ma (hence, causing the issue). That means, all female puppies produced from a little sired by him would be carriers (female pups get one x from each parent, male pups get an x from ma, and a y from pa). It wouldn't effect their fertility, but they have at least a 50/50 chance to pass it on.

Ohh yes I know that but I was just wondering now that we're discussing this haha. But yeah that all makes sense. So is it possible that Mylo's brother also has issue or is it a one pup out of a litter thing?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Well, you see when a mommy dog and a daddy dog love each other very much...

Razz

It's possible he has the issue, but its also possible he doesn't. It's also possible his sisters are carriers.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 4:27 pm

When a mommy dog and a daddy dog love each other very much they...run together

And yeah I think it's very probable since he was part of a small litter of four...2 female/2male.

And hey thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience! Made my girl and I have a sense of hope and calmness. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Smile Anytime, also, if it doesn't come down before you neuter, it's not that big a deal. Diz recovered very quickly... Too quickly. Razz
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyThu May 07, 2015 6:06 am

Alright, so just went to the vet two days ago for the heart worm pill procedure again and he's now 27 pounds and is about to be 7 months old. His right side testicle hasn't dropped.. I'm really considering having him go through with the neuter/surgery sometime this month. It would work out best this month because my girlfriend and her mom will be free to take care of him during recovery while I'm at work.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyThu May 07, 2015 6:09 am

wpskier222 wrote:
Smile Anytime, also, if it doesn't come down before you neuter, it's not that big a deal. Diz recovered very quickly... Too quickly. Razz

How long/quickly was his recovery?
I'm nervous for my boy..I've never had someone in my life go through surgery but here now my pup will have to.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyThu May 07, 2015 8:50 am

It took him about 3 days to be acting normal, and I sent him back to daycare a week later.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon May 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Alright...so May 18th is gonna be the big surgery/neuter day.
I'm so nervous about this happening but it has to be done.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyMon May 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Have you tried shaking him like a piggy bank? Just kidding. What does the testy get stuck on? is it it's own ...uhm tubing or is it fat or intestine?
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyTue May 12, 2015 12:43 am

Hughie wrote:
Have you tried shaking him like a piggy bank?  Just kidding.  What does the testy get stuck on? is it it's own ...uhm tubing or is it fat or intestine?
It can be almost anywhere in his abdomen.. If left untreated there's a strong probability of cancer.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyTue May 12, 2015 1:34 am

It's probably in the tubing. I wouldn't stress. My male who was supposed to be a show dog retained a testicle...and surgery was easy Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyTue May 12, 2015 8:35 am

Exact same with Dizzy. I took him to a neuter clinic and it was an easy surgery. Smile
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  EmptyTue May 12, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks for sharing your experience Megan!
And I hope my boy recovers quick.
I made a thread dedicated to this surgery day, maybe I should've just added to this thread instead haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still hasn't dropped :(    Still hasn't dropped :(  Empty

Back to top Go down

Still hasn't dropped :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-