|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!
Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need?
Join date : 2015-02-16
Location : Southeast Michigan
|Subject: Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need? Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 pm|| |
Hi Fellow Husky Lovers,
I have been taking my pup to the vet for his DHPP at 9 weeks weeks, 12 weeks, and on Thursday he will receive his 3rd round of shots at 15 weeks. (He also received a shot from his breeder at 6 weeks, no idea why she vaccinated so early but the vet says it doesn't "count" and he'll need a total of 4 rounds of shots. I have a couple of questions for you experienced husky owners:
1) The vet told me he needs four rounds of shots, but online I've read otherwise that 3 is sufficient. With him also having received a shot from his breeder, I certainly don't want to over-vaccinate. What is recommended?
2) Now for the non-core vaccines... The vet has been trying to push Bordatella and Lyme disease vaccines on me (without any questioning of my dogs habits/lifestyle). I've looked at a map that shows the areas affected by Lyme disease and where I live is not one of them. I never plan on boarding my pup and I've read negative things about the efficacy of the Bordatella vaccine. We do like to take the pup on hikes and socialize him with other dogs however. What non-core vaccines (if any) would be recommended?
Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions. I realize some of you will scold me and tell me to listen to my vet because they know what they are talking about, but I am always one for a second opinion, and while I certainly value the health of my pup, I do not wish to over-vaccinate nor incur unnecessary expense. I had a vet back in Florida I really liked and trusted for my cat, but up here they act more like used car salesmen!
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : Terlingua, Texas
|Subject: Re: Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need? Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm|| |
Personal preference ... while I *do* board mine from time to time when I have an appt at the VA hospital, I found it better to get them the Bordatella simply as a preventive - if you're around other dogs, you never really know what they've been into / what they might be carrying. Lyme disease, if you're comfortable that you're out of the range of the tics that carry Lyme disease - why vaccinate for it? But at your age I was doing a lot of cross country traveling and again, would have considered it a preventive measure.
BTW, even though I sorta agree with your vet, I wouldn't scold you. There are legitimate reasons for the various medications and some are required (Heartworm meds over almost all the southeast) and some are open to debate (Bordatella for someone who stays home and seldom *really* takes their dogs out socializing).
As long as you're aware of what ones are probably going to be beneficial for your dog in your situation, you're doing the best you can be expected to do. And yep, I've met some "used car salesmen" in vets offices too. Just do your homework and do your best.
Join date : 2013-05-26
Location : Michigan
|Subject: Re: Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need? Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:49 pm|| |
I couldn't even get a membership to dog parks, dog daycare, and grooming salons without getting the bordatella round.
I personally just got all of the shots they recommended.
Join date : 2012-06-13
Location : Denver, CO
|Subject: Re: Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need? Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 pm|| |
When we were in Michigan, we opted for Lyme because there is still a risk there. We also got the Lepto vaccine because we spent time in the woods and wild animal urine can carry Lepto.
Join date : 2014-02-18
Location : Hoschton. GA
|Subject: Re: Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need? Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:30 am|| |
We needed to get the all the recommended vaccines since we wanted to take her to group training classes and day care. To do pretty much any sanctioned dog event, you are required to have most of these vaccines. Although I do not think we got the Lyme disease vaccine since we don't take her in the woods very often and live more in suburbia/city environment.
|Subject: Re: Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need? || |
Which vaccines does my husky puppy really need?
|» Heavy panting hours after a walk|
by Phantom Yesterday at 12:42 am
» General winter bitchyness or an age thing
by Lostmaniac Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:51 pm
» Should I worry about this bump?
by cheywhite Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 pm
» Seed banks or websites
by amymeme Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:37 pm
» Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)
by essiyll Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 pm
» Sable Husky
by Liv_Skye Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:17 pm
» What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)
by HuskyAvalanche Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:37 pm
» Doggy Lick Pads
by mitnworb Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 pm
» It happened again.
by mitnworb Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:20 pm
» New here‼️ Hey there ????????
by Babys_Mommy Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:21 pm
» Is my Baby a pure breed?
by Babys_Mommy Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm
» Hiking with dogs~ front range areas
by jbealer Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:22 pm
» Always Watching!
by Liv_Skye Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 am
» Flea and Tick Treatments...
by TwisterII Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:45 am
» Bringing a small breed to our family
by Liv_Skye Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:01 pm
» Ami the Protector
by amymeme Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:25 pm
by amymeme Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:49 pm
» Wooly or not?
by amymeme Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:30 pm
» Hey peeps, new guy here.
by Gillian Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 pm
» Frosty morning!
by Liv_Skye Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 am