It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Coat Colors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 pm

I would get an experienced breeders opinion on Hailey's color. I was reading up on Isabella white and basic gist of the color is:

An Isabella White Siberian Husky is usually monochromatic, with jet-black points. The points may also be liver or flesh toned. Isabella White Siberian Huskies have a white undercoat with distinct buff tones above the hock and elbow, on the ears, on the saddle and buff down the center of the tail.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Tori, do you have a nice shot of her back and her side?

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Here you go:
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 Dsc08717
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 Dsc08718
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 Dsc08719

Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 pm

She doesn't have a saddle so that rules that out. Maybe she is a sable? Cindi's Gus is a sable and he's got some similar color to Hailey. Also if you do a google image search for "sable siberian huskies" the results come up with number of them with similar colors. My best guess at this point for Hailey would be sable.

The AKC description of Sable:
SABLE AND WHITE
The guard hair is banded with a reddish cast near the root with black tipping. Always accompanied by black points; this color gives the dog a reddish cast and is not to be confused with wolf gray

Here's another description of sable from a breeders website:
Sable & White - Sable is a gray & white Siberian with red highlights thrown in. The guard hairs of their coat (the longer coarser ones) will be white on the bottom and black at the tips.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Personally I think Hailey is Sable
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Ooh! That sounds right! Smile Thanks, Val & Jennet! Sable it is then... if I can find a breeder I know and trust, I will try to confirm Smile

Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Just glancing around the AKC site and they actually recognize 17 color variations for huskies Shocked I didn't expect that lol

They don't have a dilute black, but there is a "Black Gray and White", I think it might be the same?

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/color_markings.cfm
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 pm

I thought any coloring was acceptable? Or is that just what they list?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 pm

It's just how they classify them I suppose.

"All colors from black to pure white are allowed. A variety of markings on the head is common, including many striking patterns not found in other breeds."
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

I had no idea there where so many variations! I knew there were a few, but I guess there's more than just a few!

Ginger is the same as Sierra! But no party eyes Sad I always thought Sierra had smiling eyes which I thought made her always looks SO happy! I guess that's what you're calling 'party eyes'?

In my opinion? Ya'all have absolutely georgeous Sibes!!
I love you

Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Braiden is red and white with blue eyes and Skyla is wolf gray with dark brown eyes.. They are both beautiful and we love them a lot!!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I thought any coloring was acceptable? Or is that just what they list?

Any coloring is acceptable. That list is basically a list of colors that you can register them as on their AKC registration papers. They have to be registered as one or more of the colors in the list. So you would have to register a sibe as "black & white" because "dilute black & white" is not on the AKC list of register-able colors. Hope that makes sense.

Take my chi Faith for example. Most chi savvy people, including myself, call her a blue tricolor because that's what she is. But it's not on the AKC's registration color list (you can register as "blue & tan" or "white" but there is no blue tricolor or blue, tan & white) so she has be registered as a "blue & tan with white markings". Smile

Puppy
Puppy
bingnblaze

Female Join date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Blaze - i reckon is a wolf grey - mainly grey/black with red tints in his coat and brown on his ears ect

Skyla is a pure white
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Blaze, if I remember correctly, had a remarkable coat color change from puppy to adulthood no? I thought Blaze was a grey/white as a puppy but really looks more like a black/white now as an adult. He had the opposite coat color change as my boy who started out black/white and changed to more of a grey/white.

Just from looking at all the pics of Blaze as he is now, I would not consider him a wolf grey but rather a black/white but looking at his puppy pictures I'd be more inclined to consider grey or wolf grey. Heather's Koda is a really good example of a wolf grey. Blaze is like my Dakota, a dog of many colors. Laughing

Puppy
Puppy
mcdlabs

Male Join date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Keira is a diluted black and white.
Kiki is a grey and white (even though she looks technically tan, she's considered grey)
Boo is white ..

Back to top Go down
http://www.mcdlabs.com/BWS
bingnblaze
Puppy
Puppy
bingnblaze

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Blaze, if I remember correctly, had a remarkable coat color change from puppy to adulthood no? I thought Blaze was a grey/white as a puppy but really looks more like a black/white now as an adult. He had the opposite coat color change as my boy who started out black/white and changed to more of a grey/white.

Just from looking at all the pics of Blaze as he is now, I would not consider him a wolf grey but rather a black/white but looking at his puppy pictures I'd be more inclined to consider grey or wolf grey. Heather's Koda is a really good example of a wolf grey. Blaze is like my Dakota, a dog of many colors. Laughing

yep he was quite grey as a pup but had a black streak down his back
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 N714381680_1599685_6234

then he went REALLY light grey
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 N714381680_1769282_9022

then he went black
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 162705_478698256680_714381680_6227212_3101789_n

now hes getting light again
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 P1020236640x480

this was taken a couple of months ago - the colour on him is what makes me think more wolf grey
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 163429_486803891680_714381680_6346641_7413038_n

and his ears are brown
Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 P1010289800x600
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:21 am

Man, that is so crazy what changes Blaze has had! I wouldn't call his current color a wolf grey though, he just looks too dark to me personally. His puppy pics look more wolf grey than his current coat I think. I love all the brown in his coat, were his ears not brown before? He looks so stunning in that second to last pic, what a handsome boy! Our boy got a lot of tan points last year, more than any other time but not nearly as dark as Blaze has now, ours had the tan points for the better part of last year but they up and vanished months ago and we haven't seen them since.

I wish Tiffany were around to post the profound color transformation her agouti husky, Keno, went through!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:24 pm

That IS crazy coat color changes!

Puppy
Puppy
bingnblaze

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 pm

yeh he has always had the brown ears Smile - what colour would he be classed as then?? hes registered as just a grey n white
Back to top Go down
mcdlabs
Puppy
Puppy
mcdlabs

Male Join date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 2:53 pm

I'd still call him a grey and white. And I think that is the wolf grey. The only other possibility would be an agouti and white, but I would have to see his guard hairs to say that. Agouti have 3 diferent colored bands instead of just 2 colors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mcdlabs.com/BWS
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I think he's most def. a Wolf grey. He's way too dark (and too brown/black) to be a grey and white.

Look at the "wolf grey" on this page: http://www.huskycolors.com/rescue.html

He looks a lot like Cheyennes coloring. She will get darker and then lighten up throughout the year.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
bingnblaze
Puppy
Puppy
bingnblaze

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 5:11 pm

thnx guys - i knew he deffo wasnt just a grey n white cuz he has to many diff colours in his fur - when the light hits it, it has a red tint to it aswell
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Okay wow, apparently my definition of wolf grey is a bit off or dated! Did some looking around and yeah, I would have to say Blaze does look more like a wolf grey based on everything I'm seeing. Sorry about that...off to hide in my hole. Embarassed Still learning here...

Puppy
Puppy
bingnblaze

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 6:08 pm

lol val its ok i wasnt sure myself - people call him a black and white all the time - guess cuz his black is more noticeable then his brown patches - specially when he has his harness on cuz it covered those parts up
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks for this thread!!! So Nutmeg is a "copper". I've been calling her a red and white. The pound, when we adopted her, thought she was a german shepherd/husky mix b/c they had never seen a copper coated-copper-eyed husky I think. She had that beige undercoat instead of bright white, so she seemed more like a dark red and tan. We went with it, but once we got her home and she grew a bit (less lanky), grew into her paws etc and stopped growing height-wise (she's 8 months old now) it's clear she's a full husky. She's just still very lanky/lithe, but our black and white husky boy from years ago was too, so I have confidence she'll fill out eventually. Her head finally stopped changing shape too, and she looks much less long-snout/shepherd like in her face :-) But BOY did it take a bit to grow into that nose LOL!

BTW, the sable in this thread is BEAUTIFUL!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Coat Colors   Husky Coat Colors - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Coat Colors

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next