It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Empty
PostSubject: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 1:42 am

Gardening is one of my favorite things to do. I love plants, I love designing, and I love nature. I try and do a project ever weekend (time permitting) and so I thought I'd share some of the things I've done with anybody who might be interested. I'll start with the front yard (street view) and work my way  to the back (but not all tonight, LOL).

The yard as viewed from the street. Except for the large Junipers and the Olive tree, everything has been re-done/added by me. I brought the Juniper up off the ground to be more tree like, added a lawn area and a "dry river" using flat boulders to tier and give dimension, added a raised planter using boulders as well, a sitting bench with a small path. Next pictures will be closer up views of these things.  
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 56410

The small lawn area. In the middle is a Colorado Blue Spruce, lawn is bordered by Santa Barbara Daisy's, red Salvia, random boulders and Wheelers Pittosporum
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 64110
My "dry river"...it actually starts in the inside courtyard and I have it winding its way through this outside/streetside front yard.
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 64310

Raised planter viewed from the inside courtyard. I change out things here with the seasons...but my red Amaryllis resides here (not in bloom in the pic)
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 66010

Raised planter as viewed from the street. I have this black Dahlia with yellow blooms, some red Salvia, a Cassia and some Agapanthus with blue blooms
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 64510
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 2:09 am

Closer up view of river

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 54710

River view from inside courtyard...
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 12610

Next to the river, under the Olive tree, I have Orchids, a Pink Rapheolepsis, and a species of Asparagus Fern, Red Flax
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 13910

ok...thats it for tonite...I'll try and add more tomorrow or something
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 2:32 am

Jimmy, such a lovely home you have, so inviting!! I wish I had half of your patience and creativity, my place would look so beautiful. Thank you for sharing, I think I have a long weekend coming up, you may have inspired me, lol.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 am

That is a lovely planting...only about 1/3 of which do I recognize the names Razz Like something out of a magazine!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am

You have me craving an asparagus fern. Your place looks awesome. Totally professional grade. I could never keep up with all that.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Job well done! love it.
flowers and plants look great.

like you we started with a blank canvas at our house and over the last 7yrs have created a lovely area that is almost done!

Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 4:58 pm

... and then, when we get to the back yard we get to see where the Husky have "maintained" it.
Jimmy, that is indeed a beautiful yard ... I'd be thinking, though, that it's a lot more effort than I'm willing to expend on a showpiece.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Looks good! Just curious, how long have you been working on your landscaping?

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Wow, thank you all so much! I truly appreciate every one of your messages Smile

@Renee. You underestimate yourself Wink I'm sure your yard is beautiful, I think when we see other peoples pics, it's just...different. But there is beauty in every one of our yards, we all put our own stamps on it. I wanna see pics of your "long weekend" project Wink thank you Renee! Smile

@Amy...I'm sorry! I'm not good at knowing the "proper" names for plants...so I use the ones they're commonly referred to as. And yeah, they can vary by region too. If you want to know any of the plant names you didn't recognize, tell me which ones and I'll find out their true names. And thank you so much! Smile

@Jenn (Twister)...you could definitely handle it, it's so low maintenance it's not even funny. Doing it on the other hand, not so much, LOL. Things like the boulders, most are extremely heavy and they were delivered and dumped in my driveway. I was out there til like 10:00 pm moving them either into place or out of the way of my car (my car must go in the garage, lol) and most weren't lift able, by me anyways. All the pebble type rock for the river I hand picked out of my canyon, I didn't want any broken ones, and brought up in buckets and placed. Everything else though was very do-able. Maintenance is nothing. I like a natural look so I just go out once in awhile with handpruners and snip here and there. All the plants are slow growing as well. Only trimming I do is along the grass border and every Fall I lace out all the juniper and the Olive tree. You could definitely handle it Smile and thank you so much! Smile ahh, the asparagus fern is cool huh! It's not that real invasive variety and I love the growth pattern of these.

@Jenn (jbealer) thank you! I've seen some of your pics, you're doing an awesome job. I love to see your updates. I always say mine is "almost done" too, but it never is, LOL

@Lucy...thank you! I hope to see more updates of yours when you have them Smile

@Al ...LOL, you are exactly right...I'll also be using a lot of phrases like " I put this here cuz Kohdi and Mishka were..." Haha. And thank you!! Like I said to Jenn though, it's really not a lot of time involved. Most of it is getting it where I want it, the rest is easy plus I love doing it. Smile

@Valerie...thank you! That's a hard question to answer because there wasn't really a timeframe involved. Some days I worked in front, other times in back, with no set agenda. I didn't tear out everything at once, and the existing landscape was pretty so it never looked unfinished. If I were to put a timeframe on it as is and say this is what I'm going to do, and everything necessary for the job is right here, I'd say it wouldn't have taken more than a few weekends. But that's not how I did it, like maybe one Saturday was devoted to the river, another day was devoted to getting the sod in and bordering plants, etc. it's really hard to explain! Lol. But like, there's a tiny lil juniper down by the river towards the sidewalk, that used to cover almost half the yard...those large bluish junipers used to connect to each other, getting them lifted off the ground and isolated opened everything up to where I could envision what I wanted. I wanted to keep mature plantings just because to me, it always looks better that way, more complete and not so sterile looking. Here in California everyone does the palm tree things, I really don't like that look, I much prefer evergreens, pines, spruce and things like that. And there is hardly any care involved either! My biggest "problem" is keeping the Blue Spruce alive. The dry winds/heat here isn't so good for it. But I'm determined! Lol
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 9:49 pm

Just a few more pics before I start on my courtyard pics...those I'll do later tonite.
My Amaryllis in bloom in the raised planter. This looks AMAZING right now Smile
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 43310

These I dont remember the name of...was something with the word "snow" in it.
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 43210

My Kaffir Lilies...on the walk opposite my raised planter and sitting bench
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 43410

Dont remember the name of these either. I like them, very pretty yellow blooms.
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 48010
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 10:39 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

These I dont remember the name of...was something with the word "snow" in it.
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 43210

Looks like an annual flower I used to have in one of my pots that was called "Snow Princess".
Here's what I had: https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/lobularia/snow-princess-alyssum-lobularia-hybrid Maybe it's the same?

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 11:15 pm

@Valerie...no, that's not it. I do have lots of the one you posted a link to though (Alysum) in the last pic you can see some of it around the yellow flowers. It's cool stuff! When it dies out I pull them out and shake them in areas I want them to grow and sure enough they do. The plant I posted a pic of is slightly different though, it's not as delicate as the Alysum and its there year round without dying back, it's pretty much covered in the white flowers too year round. I wanna say it's called "carpet of snow"  but I think I'm going to try and look it up so I can post the actual name. Thank you though! Smile

Edit...I looked it up and I think the plant is called "Silver Carpet" Cerastium tomentosum.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 12:43 am

This area is one side of the courtyard. Its not m "pride and joy" in that this area was landscaped without spending any money (except for an avocado tree)...I wanted to fill the space for the time being and had some potted plants i had no space for, and a lot of plants I just seperated them to make *new* plants...so there are a lot of lily type plants, like calla lilies, daylilies, canna lilies, lily of the nile, kaffir lilies. There is a rosemary that was bought once as a pine tree shaped Christmas tree, daffodils, impatiens, a spider palm, a rose bush, 2 onion plants, lol, a lot of mumbo jumbo, haha...one day I'll landscape it the way I want it but for now it looks decent. I have the dry river started here and made a lil bridge across it with an old arbor top. It all sits under a large evergreen pear tree which I dont like (its messy in the Fall, and when it blooms, although very pretty, smells like dead...butthole.) but it gives nice shade to sit under in the summer. I did buy an avocado tree, one day itll be big enough that maybe I can get rid of the pear tree, haha. Anyways, I also will put in random things like a tomato plant, once I grew pumpkins, stuff like that. Anyways, on the other side of this courtyard is m memorial fountain for my past two Huskies, Malukhai and Anuschka. It has its own thread in here but I'll take updated pics of it this weekend.

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 59110

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 59210

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 59310

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 50710

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 118710

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 118810

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 43511
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 1:00 am

The pumpkins I grew. I didnt know when I planted them that they'd be white...I kept waiting for them to turn orange!, LOL

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 31110

One day I look out the kitchen window and there this in the pear tree! all these bees...15 minutes later, completely gone...was weird
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 27410

And this guy comes and kills doves that come to my birdfeeder. It always bums me out Sad
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects 71910
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 2:07 am

Oh wow, Jimmy, that is quite a swarm! Too bad you didn't have a spare hive or box around. You could have yourself your own honey!

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t13176-another-surprise?highlight=another+surprise

Love the pumpkins! How do you get daffodils to bloom without a chill period?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 2:48 am

I would love to have my own honey, Amy...these guys didn't stick around though...not even one!!!

Do daffodils need a chill period? Mine come up every year in San Diego weather. I knew tulips needed a chill period but didn't know daffodils did. I bought some beautiful tulips here and had them in planters in the backyard...Mishka took every single one of them.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 am

I like that yellow calla. I have a black forest calla but am still waiting for it to come up. It's hard for me to remember when different things come up around here so I anxiously await seeing what survived the winter. I never dig up any bulb plants like people always say to so it's always a gamble in our climate. I'm envious of how many different plants you have. All the stores around here sell the same stuff so it's hard to get non average plants without shipping them in.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 11:00 pm

I love that yellow Calla, Jenn. Only thing I don't like about it is it goes away after its season kinda like the daffodils, whereas all my white Callas are here year round. ..and bloom year round too. I would LOVE to see your Black Forest Calla, even the name is cool!!! *wow, just as I type, the doves took off all of a sudden and that hawk or whatever it is came swooping down over my head, they got away, yay! *

The Home Depot is pretty good with having a nice variety of plants here, some seasonal though, and we have an Armstrong Nursuries here that's awesome with cool varieties but high priced with most, my lil Colorado Blue Spruce came from there...2 gallon pot...$79, to me that's a lot, but...I like the tree though. I'd like to try shipping stuff in, I've never done that before.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 11:39 am

Jimmy - a thought just occured and I checked it out...San Diego has africanized honey bee genetics. I would not be catching any wild swarms in your area. They are considered "hot" bees and are much more defensive of their hive than european honey bees.

http://fire.escondido.org/killer-bees.aspx

Are your daffodils tazettas by any chance? They don't need a chilling period.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:26 pm

I will try to get pictures of the black forest when it comes up. I have black irises as well that I'm waiting on. I fear they've changed colors though.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 8:41 pm

@Amy...I don't think I've come across the Africanized bees yet here, but Escondido is only about 20 minutes from here. I've been outside trimming and stuff right amongst bees and Im left alone by them...but yeah, Im not going to try and catch any (although my own honey would be the coolest thing!!) . Im just going to answer "yes" to your  daffodil question, LOL, cuz I really dont know the variety I bought but they bloom every single year and I doubt its from our very short cold snaps.

@Jenn, Thank you! I look forward to seeing it! Today I bought some "Black Cherry" Supertunias...I love these colors that are almost black but are really dark reds or blues. Im putting them in my backyard and if Mishka doesnt get wind of them before I can take a pic, I'll post some.

Today I went out to take updated pics of the other side of my courtyard where my Memorial Fountain is...I'll post them up later when I have them uploaded to myy computer. But here is a sneak preview, haha  

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Img_0219
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 12:34 am

Ok, on to the other side of the courtyard. While the side I just posted is not my pride and joy, this side IS my pride and joy. It has its own thread in here already "My Fountain Project", which has more details on what I did and how I did it, but long story short, My last two huskies passed away in the same month, it was April (this month) to be exact, and for Malukhai, the 9th was the anniversary date, and for Anuschka it will be on Monday (the 27th)...I created this area, with a fountain, as a "memorial" for them. A LOT of thought went into every detail of this project. My goal was simple...to make it as beautiful and peaceful as possible. So here are updated pics of that area.

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Img_0220

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Img_0221

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Img_0226

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Img_0223

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Img_0225
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 2:28 am

Jimmy, I know you live in a big city and have close neighbors, but your memorial area is as if you are in the middle of nowhere. Everything looks so wonderful and tranquil. What is that lovely white climber, covering your trellis on the wall? It is gorgeous. The rocks and the fountain just add a spectacular flare, almost like a European garden or a country cottage garden.............
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 4:24 am

Thank you so much Renee. I have more pics to post with this with closer up views of the plants, and I'll post their names but I'll probly do that tomorrow, I just didn't upload them yet. The white climber is Star Jasmine (smells awesome when it's in bloom) I want to add one or two more trellis so I can get it to cover the wall. I've changed a lil bit here and there since I posted the original thread of the fountain, like I got rid of the planters on each side of the fountain itself, I was thinking it looked very cluttered. My ultimate goal is to take the small window off the bedroom that's there and put either sliders or French doors so this area can become an extension of that room, with a step down or two and more "patio" type space.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects Empty

Back to top Go down

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next