It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 4:30 am

On the other side of the yard now, around the end corner of the house is my small side yard with part of my vegetable garden...
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Veg210
close-up
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Veg310

then to the left (at the corner of the house) is my bench planter area
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 56910

and then at the end of the yard, this sitting area...
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Table_10

Only thing I havnt taken pics of yet is my larger side yard on the patio side...gotta get rid of some junk first, LOL
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 11:08 am

What I have is a pine, like a christmas tree. Very bushy but with longer needles than a Juniper has. I have two Junipers in the backyard and they have the shorter cluster needles and they are in the 6ft tall range. I went out and looked at the pine again last night and it's probably closer to 25ft or more. I thought it was shorter but it's way taller than the Explorer I park near it. We have another of it in the backyard but it looks totally different. Not sure if the old owners ran it over a couple times with the lawn mower when it was little or what. It looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree grew to about 10ft tall and developed a big butt. Hard to believe they are the same species.

I love all the color in your Christmas decor. I haven't braved into the color sector just yet. Still only putting up white lights everywhere. I would like to branch wrap my big trees in red but without help I think that's just going to be too much for me to handle.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Aw, I like the Charlie Brown trees, seriously!!! I prefer trees that aren't straight, I like twisted branches and stuff like that...kinda like the wind shaped it. Pines are actually my favorite type of tree too, I used to have a Black Mountain Pine in my backyard where I have the cedar now, it just never looked healthy though, and I did the iron fertilizing and everything but it was always a yellowish color.

Thank you!!! I usually decorate much better but this last Christmas I just wasn't into it, and then the getting stuff out only to find it doesn't work anymore, ugh...the white lit deer you see has a mate but only half of it would light, I messed with it for hours and then just said £*#& it! Maybe this coming Christmas I'll be more into it, haha.

I've always liked just the white lights...there's a certain peacefulness and elegance to it, probly why hotels and restaurants and stuff use it year-round. I like colors though too, just gives it a certain "warmth".
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 am

I so love your place Jimmy. Your own piece of paradise smack dab in a huge city.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 7:29 pm

Thank you so much Renee! Smile I do love it here, 80% of the time I'm home is spent outside, LOL...seriously!!! I'm out back til like 11pm or so most nights!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
Thank you so much Renee! Smile I do love it here, 80% of the time I'm home is spent outside, LOL...seriously!!! I'm out back til like 11pm or so most nights!

Curious. Do you guys have misquitos out your way? Around dusk its either head for the house, put on the DEET or get eaten Mad My gardening tool kit has 99% DEET in the end pocket!

I would love your place to - it is a wonderful spot!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 7:42 pm

If we do Amy, I don't see them...pretty sure they're out there, just not enough to take notice, however...I think we have bats!!!! No lie!!! When I'm outside at night there's something that flies around like a drunk bird! I think it's a bat but not sure. For me, summer sucks when the ants come out, they're pretty much all over the place with their lil trails. I leave the ones outside alone, but if they come in, I assassinate them Wink

Thank you Amy! I really do appreciate where I am.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 7:56 pm

We have bats, too. I find them fascinating to watch the way the dart and swoop at dusk. The only thing I don't like is they used to sleep inside the umbrellas on the tables by the pool - I'd reach my hand in there to open the umbrella and one very startled bat and one very startled old lady would jump...Bats here carry rabies and any contact with a bat is subject ot shots...But they do eat the misquitos!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Do bats generally just bite people or animals? The one here, I'll be sitting on that lil sitting area in the corner of the yard above the canyon, and it'll just fly right next to me so when I look all I see is a dark little bird like figure but like I said, it flies kinda like its a bird who is intoxicated, haha. I'm on my iPad so maybe the light from it attracts it to come near me, I don't know. I just thought they liked cold/damp, and here it's not either of those, haha.

And LOL, if I would have a bat coming out of an umbrella, I'd be jumping too!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 8:23 pm

They bite both.  The big thing is if a bat is found in a room with a sleeping person or a baby. THe bite is so small it cannot be seen - several years ago (or more) a young girl in the Albany area died from rabies.  The parents remembered finding a bat in her room but didn't think any thing of it.  Which is why the NY protocol for rabies prophylaxis says "any contact" and in the room of a sleeping person or a baby...

The bats come out at dusk because that's when insects are really active.  And flying insects are their primary diet. Probably, the light from your ipad attracts insects?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Oh wow, I think I'll go back to sitting under the patio at night then, haha. It is at dusk when I see it.

We have gnats at certain times of the year, in fact we aren't allowed to do any work in our canyons til about October because of a gnatcatcher that can't be disturbed, but I don't really see any around me but that doesn't mean anything. There's plenty for them to eat around a canyon I'm sure
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:00 am

Look what I got at Costco! only $12! it grows both red and green grapes. I bought it intending to put it on my little side yard where I have my garden, but not only is there no room there at the moment (garden is doing awesome!!! I'll have to take pics tomorrow, theres almost no more walkway, haha) but I also remembered once I got it home how dangerous grapes are for dogs and with Mishka... Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 1625187496 Ive decided to find a place for it in my front courtyard, maybe to grow along the fence or something, anyways...I hope I get some grapes from it!

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Grapes10
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 11:13 am

Cool, Jimmy - Red Flame is one of my favorite grapes, right behind Canadice!

Grapes take about 5 years to bare fruit. Depending on how old your vine is, may take awhile. It will make a great vine while you wait, though.

How is Miss I'll Eat Anything this morning?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 11:29 am

Wow, 5 years! They better be some good grapes then, haha. This one has the two different vines in one pot, which I thought was kinda cool...I have an avocado tree in that front courtyard so I thought I might put this near it with the fence acting somewhat like a trellis.

Lol, Mishka is her old self, when I read your link about vomiting and diahreeah (ugh, why didn't autospell work on that word) I wasn't looking forward to the latter but it didn't happen and all is good Smile thank you for asking Amy!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Just a couple updated pics of my vegetable garden...its doing pretty awesome! probly shouldnt have planted my pumpkin plant here, LOL, but its cool...you know who stole my watermelon plant so I wont be seeing any of those this year...anyways, my garden likes it here Smile

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Garden13

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Garden15
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Tomatoes! I'm so jealous. I have tall leggy plants and still no fruit. I do however have watermelon and so far they have taken quite well to the trellis system.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Aww, don't say that Jenn, you'll have tomatoes soon enough...your plants will probly be stronger for having to endured so much! Smile  I however, will never have watermelons this year, lol...it's gone Sad lil Mishka slithered under, then over, then around Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 1625187496 (when I caught her, I called her to come to me and that's how I watched her come out, LOLOL) the barricade I had up (specifically for her!) she looked like one of those people, like in military training, that have to do all those obstacle things, haha and she got my watermelon and an onion plant. Can't wait to see how your watermelon do on the trellis!

Last year my vegetable garden was pitiful, I had the tomatoes in big oversized pots and they got super tall with hardly no leaves, and ONE tomatoe (no lie) and I had 5 plants! So I'm pretty proud of my tomatoes this year, LOL
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 10:56 am

Your last year tomatoes sound like my this years tomatoes. Very tall and not a ton of leaves. I have a couple blooms on my latest plants but my originals still haven't bloomed. My corn is tasseling though. Dad still doesn't think I can grow corn in a pot but it seems to be doing okay thus far.

Sounds like you need to turn her into an agility dog. She already does everything they train for it. Though it might look kinda odd when everyone else is leading their dogs with treats and you're out there lugging a potted hydrangea around as her motivation.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 12:09 pm

TwisterII wrote:

Though it might look kinda odd when everyone else is leading their dogs with treats and you're out there lugging a potted hydrangea around as her motivation.

lol! lol! lol! Almost spit out my coffee with that image!

I'm going to brag a bit...my early girl tomatoes have 6 or so golf-ball tomatoes. Earliest ever for me. And probably the most ever, too. And my brandywines have a flock of thumbnail sized babies. Still waiting for the cherry tomatoes. Blossoms but no joy yet. Blossoms on the eggplants, too.

But, like Jenn, things mostly seem to be very slow. All the rain and clouds are definitely...putting a damper on things Rolling Eyes and reducing my already limited sun. We shall see...
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 8:28 pm

I never thought of agility for Mishka, she'd probly do awesome too! Just to give you a little visual...there is in my pic a small table and chairs right before the garden starts, between that and behind it, I placed 2 chaise lounges (those lounges you lay on next to the pool) what she does is get on her belly and shimmies under the chair and table, then she gets up and goes around the end of one of the chaise lounges and then jumps the other one...all to eat plants!!! Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 1625187496 you made me LOL with the carrying of the hydrangea instead of treats...I'm fortunate though, she is just as treat motivated Wink (Kohdi is not and man is that irritating when I can't bribe him to do what I want, LOL) also, last years tomatoes...they looked horrible, on top of being tall and almost leafless, they had an ugly color, they weren't green, more of a bronze color, they just were not healthy and I tried to make them healthier too.

@Amy, that's so cool!!!

I have tomatoes on every plant, the one in the pic with tomatoes is my Celebrity, they have the fastest maturation date too. My cherry tomatoes I've already been harvesting but I didn't plant them, they're volunteers so they were out a lot sooner than the rest. I'm hoping I don't need to put up any kind of barrier to keep things like squirrels out, I'll know soon enough when they start to ripen. Next year I'm only having tomatoes here, they already block all the sun to my onions and my pumpkin is spreading all over the place, I should have known better but I just wanted things in the ground as soon as possible .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Its been a little while since Ive updated here, but I work in the yard pretty much every wknd, little projects mostly, but Ive started a little bit bigger one so I thought Id show my progress so far.

My lawn in front has been getting killed by bunnies, a drought and dog pee, its the front of the house so I needed to do something to fix this area...so here goes, haha...I'll post sequence in installments

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 00111
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 00211
The synthetic lawn I plan on putting in...
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 04710
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 pm

I took down the soil level about 3 inches or so, I have to refill with self leveling gravel and sand, this will be the base and provide drainage...
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 00314

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 00412
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 9:22 pm

But I got to thinkin' (never a good thing)...this is synthetic turf, I dont want it looking *too* fake so...I thought maybe divide the area up, yet open up a little more at the same time so...i already have one dry "river" running thru the yard, maybe Ill make another one and that will give a little island between them of plants. I opened it up a little more so while the lawn area will be divided now, itll also be bigger

Saturday I got the river laid out, did my tiers, and set boulders
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 03714
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 03910
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Sunday I collected all the rock and set it, opened up the right side a little more so the lawn extends over further, and laced out the juniper by the garage
Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 04012

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 04113

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 04212

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 04512

So thats what I got so far...hopefully I can install the lawn next weekend Smile
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 11:23 pm

That looks like a big project!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects   Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jimmy's (home of Kohdi and Mishka) Gardening Projects

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next