It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

He's a chewer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jdlca
Newborn
Newborn
jdlca

Male Join date : 2015-04-16

He's a chewer Empty
PostSubject: He's a chewer   He's a chewer EmptyThu May 07, 2015 3:30 am

Hey everyone,

Well it's been almost a month now with Kenai who I picked up at an animal shelter, the first couple of weeks he was pretty tame, I guess maybe intrigued by his new surroundings but now the bad habits are starting to reveal themselves.

He loves exploring the world...with his mouth. Loves to chew on things, basically anything. After his neutering from the shelter I was eager to start exercising him so after the 10 day recovery period was over we started walks every morning, which usually are around 7-8 miles that start in the morning when he loves to throw half his body on me at 6:30am, was cute at first until his paws hit me in the face Lol

Any way back to the chewing, so we have our washer and dryer outside in our backyard with a little cart that has things like a brush, detergent, bird food, numerous items on it that he loves to take out to the grass and chew. There is also an old recliner chair that we have for our German Shepherd to sleep on at night that he loves taking the blanket off and taking to the grass while ripping up the arm part of the chair.

Now while the backyard where he is during the day is littered with toys I figured he was chewing because he didn't have any chew toys. Got him those antler chews that were pretty darn expensive and also a raw hide that I could rotate, but I went out right now to get him to bring him in and sure enough he had ripped up the chair even more and the blanket was on the grass.  confused Any advice for this? I'm just worried he's going to eat foam from the chair and get a blockage or something..

Am I not exercising him enough? His stubbornness is becoming more and more apparent, and likes to play that game where he has something in his mouth that I need to get but he keeps running away, almost taunting me with it, until I catch him and unleash an a$$-whoopin Lol (not really but discipline is made...) The other day my dad said he was chewing on the gas line to the dryer so we blocked that area off but he's constantly looking for something to chew, it's like you have all these toys and chew things around you, why do you chew things you shouldn't be chewing?? >_< He actually chewed through the hose in the backyard too but we bought a new one and put Tabasco hot sauce all over it and he hasn't touched the new one once  Very Happy

Any advice for tips for this would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

He's a chewer Empty
PostSubject: Re: He's a chewer   He's a chewer EmptyThu May 07, 2015 9:30 am

How old is Kenai? I'm not sure you can really stop a dog from chewing. More it is dog proofing and being watchful and quick. If he's young, maybe it's a "phase" and he will outgrow it. The first thing I would do is restrain him when you can't be right there with him. Tether, create, a fenced area , naked, that is just for him? Second, I would fence (chicken wire is your friend, if not exactly beautiful) anything that is either dangerous, expensive or otherwise valuable to you. Third, since he does seem responsive to Tabasco, you could try some of the bitter Apple sprays or make your own... maybe Tabasco in something like historic that will make it stick around?

The rest is training... when you're out with him, maybe a long line, as soon as he goes to chew something forbidden, say no, pull him back. how. Not hard or yanking,, just a gentle tug. An ecollar could work here possible. Stopped my boy's counter surfing with just the vibrate setting.

How is he with raw, recreational bones (like a big, raw beef bone). One a day keeps my boys happy but I get them cheap cheap cheap from a local butcher that does custom cutting so is affordable.)

Hopefully Jeff will chime in.. He's good with training protocols.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

He's a chewer Empty
PostSubject: Re: He's a chewer   He's a chewer EmptyThu May 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi Jordan, Amy gave great advice, I will add a little. Remember that Kenai probably has never had as much freedom as he does now. Many huskies communicate and explore new things through their mouths. He may outgrow it once the newness is gone, he may not. Do you crate him at all? If you do I would crate him when he will not have supervision. If you don't I would consider crate training. Otherwise, I would, like Amy said, create a safe place for him free of dangerous objects when he is alone. Also totally agree with the bone route. It will occupy him, and distract him on thoughts of eating and chewing on things that he shouldn't, of course bone to be given in a safe zone as well. No matter how well trusted you may think he is, he may always be a chewer, and should never be alone with items that are costly to you and potential life killer for him.

Good luck he is a handsome guy!!
Back to top Go down
jdlca
Newborn
Newborn
jdlca

Male Join date : 2015-04-16

He's a chewer Empty
PostSubject: Re: He's a chewer   He's a chewer EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Thank you both for your replies!

Age wise I hate to say but I don't know, the shelter estimated he is about 3 years old, but I don't have an exact number. Is there anyway to find out, or is that all I'll ever know? I took your advice Amy and proofed the backyard, cleaned out that cart and took away anything that he could get his mouth on that he shouldn't (it also looks nicer too haha) so I feel good about that. About crating, I'm so eager to start crate training him but I have to wait until I can afford one of them, I'm hoping within the next month or so I can pick one up and start the process, I'm really hoping he'll take to it because from what I read on here and heard, it's really a saving grace not to mention when I move up north he'll have to be in at while I'm at work. Also I'm going to try and see what the butcher can get me for some bones because those antler chews, as much as he loves them are really expensive, a small one is like $30 :/

Working on the training with him, he'll usually go for something when I'm out with him so I'm able to catch him when he grabs something he's not supposed to have. Actually since I've cleaned the cart I haven't had so much of an issue, guess a bit of common sense on my part Embarassed Thank you both again for your replies, it really helped, once I get a crate I'll let you know how it goes.. sigh fingers crossed he'll take to it!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

He's a chewer Empty
PostSubject: Re: He's a chewer   He's a chewer EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:34 pm

once you get your crate every meal he eats for 3 months should be in the crate.

There are many other protocols as well, should you need more. There's a ton of crate threads on here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

He's a chewer Empty
PostSubject: Re: He's a chewer   He's a chewer EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Edit: 1 month. Auto fill......

1 month and then at the end of that month you can take stock of his comfort and relaxation levels in the crate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Sponsored content

He's a chewer Empty
PostSubject: Re: He's a chewer   He's a chewer Empty

Back to top Go down

He's a chewer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1