It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA Empty
PostSubject: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 2:02 am

Yesterday I was hiking with Bodhi in the woods near where I live in Portland, OR.
Suddenly he darted sideways into the grass at the side of the trail and emerged with a garter snake.
He promptly started throwing it in the air and biting it before I got it away from him.

This initiated some worry about a future trip I was going to take with him next month.
The plan is to meet an old friend at Fallen Lake Lake near Lake Tahoe and do day hikes in the Desolation Wilderness.
The lake is at 6400 ft. in the Sierra Nevada.

How concerned should I be about rattlesnakes?
Californians?
Bodhi will be on a lead, but still...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 10:42 am

A lot will depend on the weather at the time. My aunt used to live in the relative area and they are definitely there. I don't think they are so prevalent that the people are required to put their dogs through snake training as people in Arizona are (my husband is from Arizona and all their dogs were required by law to go through snake classes), but they are around and you will want to watch and be vigilant.

Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Snake classes? Do they teach them to ignore the snakes or is it more involved than that? Something I never thought of.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 6:48 pm

This story decided me.
Even the same name as my dog.
http://www.laketahoenews.net/2009/09/warning-from-dog-owner-rattlesnakes-near-caples-lake/
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 7:55 pm

This is something I worry about with us moving to Colorado, especially with us living right on a wildlife preserve right up next to the foothills.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Taking a snake class would probably be the best thing you can do. If I remember correctly, it's not even time consuming, like an hour or two, and it's pretty effective. Treatment for a snake bite is very expensive (between $450 and $700 per vial of anti venom ) and one vial doesn't always do the trick, not to mention the pain and tissue damage the actual snake bite itself causes. The class, to me, is a worthwhile investment. I need to do one with my dogs. There is a "vaccine" for snake bites, given before snake season usually, but it doesn't eliminate the need for vet treatment should your dog get bitten and is pretty costly as its a series of boosters, and it's effectiveness hasn't really been proven. Precautions to take are of course, keeping your dog away from high grasses, digging or sticking it's head in or around rocks, keeping your ears open for the sound of a rattlers warning, etc. just be very careful. They really can be anywhere. A neighbor of mine dog was bitten by a rattler and the snake was in their pool! The cost to keep him alive was in the thousands of dollars (was bitten in the eye) also, protect yourself too! I bought a pair of rattlesnake guards when I was working in my canyon below my house (we have to do the "safe" clearance thing for fire season here) basically these fabric (camouflage print) covered metal things that Velcro around the bottom part of your legs, they're not heavy or uncomfortable either, might be worth looking into for yourself.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 10:33 pm

On a side note, I've experienced those San Diego fires firsthand, and respect the need to clear stuff. My SERE class almost got trapped in the mountains near Temecula (I think Mt Palomar is where we do our field training) by the fires in 2007. That was some scary shit, we were watching the fires come over the ridges towards us.

I've done some cursory research into the vaccine, and I need to do more. We used to have a member here who is a vet tech in central California, and I know their practice highly recommends it to their clients. I also need to start looking for a new vet in Colorado for that matter...

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 11:16 pm

My canyon is one that hasn't burned...yet. So I WANT to protect this house as much as I possibly can. My brother lost everything in the 2003 wildfires, including his dog Sad he was helping a neighbor to start evacuating her mini-horses and while doing so, winds changed direction and by the time he got back up there, they weren't allowed back in.

From what I read, the vaccine given to dogs before getting bitten doesn't eliminate the need for treatment, it slows down the initial process of the venom doing its damage (which IS great for buying some time, especially if you are in a remote area) but a person shouldn't think that because the dog has the vaccine, he's safe. That is not the case. The dog will still need treatment. That's my understanding anyways. I look forward to learning more about it.

Last edited by Artic_Wind on Tue May 12, 2015 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyMon May 11, 2015 11:38 pm

To my knowledge - notice the qualification - there is one rattle snake vaccine available in the US (world?) manufactured by Red Rock Biologics.

One of the best write up on the vaccine is by Jo-Amme Bremmer and is definitely worth the read if you're considering the vaccination.

Neither of my dogs are vaccinated (nor are most dogs in this area) since the primary culprit in snake bites is the Mojave Rattler - and the anti-venom does nothing for this snake.  Just for information purposes, the range of the Mojave Rattler does *NOT* coincide with the Mojave desert (actually more closely with the Chihuahuan desert).

Don't think that just because you've had your dog vaccinated that "all is good" any rattle snake bite is a veterinary emergency!

Adding a note here:  If you're out and about with a dog in a snake area, you should be carrying OTC Benadryl with you.  The normal OTC Benadryl is 25mg with 1mg given per pound of weight (so normally two caps).  This does a couple of things, quickly; it relaxes the dog and reduces the swelling.  Make sure that you buy a caplet/tablet that contains only Dyphenhydramine (sp) -the active ingredient in Benedryl.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyTue May 12, 2015 12:03 am

aljones wrote:
Don't think that just because you've had your dog vaccinated that "all is good" any rattle snake bite is a veterinary emergency!

As well as a psychiatric emergency for this momma affraid I don't do snakes!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyTue May 12, 2015 12:44 am

Al, what is done then for the bite of a Mojave Rattler if the anti venom doesn't work?

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyTue May 12, 2015 1:04 am

Treated symptomatically.  Removal of any dead flesh (killed by the snakes venom); dyphendramin IV and as much TLC as possible.  Necrosis at the site of the bite is the major problem. Simply  they either live or not ... surprisingly, many do though few without scars.

Followup for the California crew: the range of the Mojave covers most of San Bernardino county and extends southeast from there through southern Arizona and New Mexico into southwestern Texas (the Big Bend Region, of course) on into Mexico where it's found in most of the country.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA EmptyTue May 12, 2015 8:35 pm

The Mojave is also neurotoxic, unlike other rattlesnake venom which is hemotoxic (though, strong evidence of the Southern Pacific being both hemo and neurotoxic exists)

I'm well aware of the vaccine just being a stop gap measure, but it's definitely important to note that because people do think it's all you need. For me, I'd feel better knowing I'd at least bought some extra time, especially since we're going to be spending a lot of time in the CO backcountry where it can take hours to get off the trail and then more hours to get to a vet. I need to do more research, but the snake classes are a must in my mind and I need to put together both human and canine snakebite kits to throw in with my regular first aid kit for hikes.

I'm actually surprised I haven't come across any in Maryland, we have a lot of timber rattlers and copperheads.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA   Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA Empty

Back to top Go down

Rattlesnakes in Desolation Wilderness, CA

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1