It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thealgomasnowpuppycave
Newborn
Newborn
thealgomasnowpuppycave

Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? Empty
PostSubject: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? EmptyTue May 19, 2015 11:12 pm

So my middle son came into the house after taking the dogs out in the yard for potties and running around absolutely freaking out. This is nothing new, I just think its the first time he's seen it happen.

Fox ate a bunny. It was a baby and it took less than 3 seconds from the time the bunny entered the yard until it was swallowed.

I have no problems with our dogs eating bunnies. There's an order to things in nature, these are wild and not people's pets (pests that eat the neighborhood gardens up) huskies have a high prey drive and rabbit meat is a special treat in the house.

Every spring the dogs take out between 6-9 rabbits, with Miss Moon being the majority dispatcher. The thing that makes this strange is...that our house is the ONLY yard on the block that would result in their demise. We have the only fenced yard. We're the only house that has dogs larger than rabbits. In short...our yard is the ONLY place on our entire block that a bunny is near guaranteed to perish within.

Part of me says...fantastic, they're doing a great service in reducing the local population. The other part of me says...holy snotballs is there a way that isn't harmful to my fluffy loves that can deter these little fluff bites from making their way into our yard? Ideas? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? EmptyTue May 19, 2015 11:29 pm

I bought a product called "Rabbit Scram" totally safe for all household pets, organic, granular so it won't wash out in a normal rain. It's supposed to "scare" them away (there's probly dead rabbit in it. ) Anyways, here are the ingredients:45.3% dried blood, 7.0% white pepper, 7.0% garlic, 2.3% cloves, and finally (probly where the dead rabbit comes in) 38.4% meat meal...it's in a 25 lb bucket
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? EmptyWed May 20, 2015 2:41 am

That 7% garlic might be a problem for the dogs. Next meal to attract them and garlic for hemolysis Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? EmptyWed May 20, 2015 2:46 am

Not sure Amy, it says 100% safe for pets. I think in relation to the amount of mixture, that garlic is minuscule and apparently the pepper in it gives an awful after taste so if a dog does lick it, they probly wouldn't again. I'd post a link but not sure how. It says if your dog does like "spicy" foods, simply keep them away from it for a day or two. I used it outside my canyon fence (dogs can't get to it) the way the product works is that when the rabbit smells the mixture, they sense danger and go another direction.
Back to top Go down
thealgomasnowpuppycave
Newborn
Newborn
thealgomasnowpuppycave

PostSubject: Re: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? EmptyWed May 20, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks! We always get a couple of nests in our yard this time of year, will definitely look into it!!!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? EmptyWed May 20, 2015 10:59 am

This might seem weird but people around me buy coyote urine at the hunting store and swear by it (the danger factor Jimmy mentioned). I've not tried it. I have onions that plague many of my front flowerbeds and the rabbits have never touched anything in those beds. We live in the country and the kill rate for my dogs is about 2 a year but those are adults only. Never had a nest of little ones anywhere near.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? EmptyWed May 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Next to dogs (and cats), the best deterrant for rabbits is removal of habitat - any brushy areas or piles are prime breeding ground and fencing. Up until Ami, I have had an enormous problem with rabbits. The feral cats, a problem unto themselves, somewhat checked their marauding. None of the chemical (or natural solutions did anything for me. The only one I have not tried which has somewhat good reviews from field tests out of universities, is the coyote urine. The problem with all repellants is that they have to be reapplied at varying intervals depending on the vehicle and rainfall.

The dogs rout out the nesting areas and have made our grounds a less than desirable habitat for which I am very grateful. And, knock on wood, have not seen a rabbit in months or a woodchuck yet this year bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?   Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog safe rabbit repellants/deterrants?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1