It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Aggression Towards other dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dentonate
Newborn
Newborn

aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs Empty
PostSubject: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:34 am

Hey guys,

Kygo is such an amazing dog!! I adopted him from a rescue last Friday and we had a wonderful weekend together. He is very smart and learning fast. There is one issue that the shelter warned me about and that I found out myself on Saturday. He can be selectively aggressive towards other dogs. The shelter told me specifically smaller dogs. I am unsure if he is being predatorial and really wants to hurt them or if he is just too aggressive in a playing manner. Saturday I met up with friends who just got a corgi puppy (9 weeks). I was worried how it would go. I had Kygo held tightly and crouched behind him as my friend brought his pup closer (holding her). When they were within reach, Kygo lunged hard directly at her and she screeched. He never growled, hair didnt stand up on his back, and the rest of the time he just looked at her uninterested (unless they got too close and he would try again). I realize after doing some reading, that it could be my fault for how I acted too. Apparently, I should have kept walking normally with Kygo past the puppy. The next day, I walked him downtown on a nice long walk where we passed by many dogs. A few, he would try to lunge at but others he wouldn't care. I did my best to keep walking and praise when he ignored them. On a couple, he would obsess slightly and keep turning to see him as we walked past. There was a unleashed 150lb Cane Corso he tried to lunge at which thankfully, didn't respond and we kept walking. Obviously I really want to break this as I want to be able to have him at dog parks unleashed but not sure what to do. Again, he never growls or seems like he wants to hurt them, he just lunges hard like he wants to jump on them.

I do have a free 6 week obedience class and signing up for an 8wk course from an experienced military, police, and show dog trainer that I will be utilizing.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 12:28 pm

I would explain to the trainer some of the instances of lunging and the aggression that the shelter told you about and see if perhaps you could meet with him before the course to go through a few things. My girl is leash aggressive and gender aggressive. She is fine with male dogs when she is off leash but could never go through an obedience class with other dogs unless she had met all the other dogs first off leash and had time for introductions. Finding your dog's triggers prior to going into a class will help you know whether the class will really be right for you. My girl always makes a lot of sound and is growling and snarling when she has intentions to get another dog and it's possible that your dog just really wants to meet some dogs more than others but until some work has been done in a controlled environment it is hard to really say. Huskies do have a propensity to have their play style misunderstood as they are rough and often vocal while playing. When my two play there's snarling and growling and all kinds of racket, though very different sounds than when she is ready to attack. Huskies do have a high prey drive and smaller dogs and cats could be at risk. This is something I would check with the aid of your trainer as I doubt your buddy with the Corgi will want to revisit with his dog as a guinea pig, perse.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Dentonate, I agree with Jenn pretty much completely with a bit of an expansion.
On the one hand, since there are no warnings that your dog is going to lunge at the other dog, it tends to sound like a desire to "meet and greet" the caveat, however, is that some dogs have learned /been trained to be silent and then an attack is completely unexpected.

As an example, if you have a dog who is aggressive and growls prior to attacking and the dog is continually punished for the growl then they learn to not growl but just attack - potentially a very dangerous combination.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
joemamma474
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 3:09 pm

When your dog lunges has it ever actually made it to the other dog? Mine does that sometimes, but if he does get to the other dog, it usually turns out that he just wants to sniff them and "say hello." It doesn't really sound like aggression, but more excitement. I wouldn't necessarily see that behavior as a reason he couldn't be off-leash at the dog park.
If it turns out your dog is actually trying to attack other dogs, well that would be a different story. I know it isn't great to have dogs interacting with one another on a leash as that can increase their excitement when they pull but aren't allowed to go near the other dog, but it might be helpful to see if someone has a dog that yours pulls toward and observe how the interact meeting on-leash without actually restraining them. If it goes awry, you would at least have the ability to separate them as they are on-leash, but you would actually be able to know if it is just typical excited greeting behavior vs. aggression (and it really sounds like the former to me).
Back to top Go down
Dentonate
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 3:13 pm

yea, i plan on introducing him to other bigger dogs of friends. one is a beautiful black/white husky who has the same issue. when he lunged at the corgi, i think he may have it her face, not sure.
Back to top Go down
xmike24
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 3:06 pm

If you can get someone to take a video while it's happening I would love to give you my professional opinion. I have been training with aggressive / anxiety dogs for over 7 years. I have a husky of my own and I know first hand that husky charateristics are MUCH DIFFERENT then any other breed.

I always highly recommend getting a trainer when it comes to possible "aggression" however when it comes to husky, please do your research and find someone who knows them.

I had a trainer who was "certified" who told me my husky was being aggressive because of her pilo-erection (neck hair raising), I asked him if he knew huskies and he said hes trained dozens, I don't know about you, but ANY husky I've ever seen always gets so excited their hair raises.

Anyway, if you want to shoot me a video you can get a hold of me through PM or my website Rochester NY Dog Obedience Training

Last edited by xmike24 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added contact info)
Back to top Go down
Dentonate
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 4:50 pm

this is great, i definitely will
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aggression Towards other dogs   aggression - Aggression Towards other dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggression Towards other dogs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1