It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How often can I bathe my dog?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ezekiel0603
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2015-06-09

How often can I bathe my dog? Empty
PostSubject: How often can I bathe my dog?   How often can I bathe my dog? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi guys! I need your expert opinion about this.

I usually leave my husky in a crate. The problem is, when she poops, she gets some of the poop in her fur when she lies down.

• How often can I bathe my dog so she can be clean from poop on her fur?
• Is having her on a leash tied to a pole a better idea than to have her in a crate so she can be clean from poop on her fur?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: How often can I bathe my dog?   How often can I bathe my dog? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 6:23 pm

You talk about this like it's a regular thing. A dog shouldn't be crated so long that's it's only option is to regularly potty in it's crate. I don't know if your dog is lacking crate training or being left too long, but a healthy dog should be fine 8ish hours a day without having to poop in it's crate.

And no, do not leave her on a leash tied out unattended for extended periods of time.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel0603
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2015-06-09

PostSubject: Re: How often can I bathe my dog?   How often can I bathe my dog? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Wrong choice of words I guess.

I just got my 2 1/2 month old husky a little over 14 hours ago only. And in that span of time she has defecated 7 times. The previous owner have not taken it to the vet to have its vaccine shots. I took her to the Vet before I got home but the vet would not give her the shots because the vet wants to avoid giving her more stress and told me to just bring her back next week for her shots. And because of that, I can't have her running around the house and play with my kids until it has its shots. Which leaves me to keep her most of the time in her crate until I'm around so I can take her for a walk.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: How often can I bathe my dog?   How often can I bathe my dog? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 9:06 pm

To answer your question I would say about once a month maximum for baths. Giving your dog too many baths will reduce the natural oils in their skin/coats which will adversely affect their health. There are a couple other things I would like to suggest as well if you don't mind...

If you have an older kid or significant other that you can trust - or perhaps a neighbor - have them take out your puppy every 60-90 minutes. By doing this your puppy shouldn't be pooping in its crate anymore, making it a lot easier on the dog and you (because then you don't have to clean up the mess Wink ).

A puppy can only hold it for about 1 hour per month of age, so she really does need to get out more. I understand that you probably have a really busy schedule, but if they don't get out properly then it could lead to much bigger problems later on. Problems such as UTIs, bacterial infections, and general uncleanliness (which poses a health hazard to humans as well as canines) are all real problems that can come out of non-consistent bathroom trips. At night time they can hold it for about twice as long, in your case 4-5 hours, but still really need to get out multiple times a night. They can't hold it overnight until they are at least 4 months old, so bear that in mind as well.

I have one final suggestion. Crates are like the dog's room. The dog will undoubtedly be spending a good amount of time in the crate either while you're at work or when sleeping etc. They're not going to want to pee/poop where they sleep if they can avoid it. Their crate should really only be big enough for them to stand and turn around in. If it's much bigger then they'll start using the corner of the crate as a personal bathroom. So if your crate is too large you can try putting in a divider to solve that issue. Again I can't stress enough how important it is to let your puppy use the bathroom outside as much as possible. If they adapt to going inside their crates then you'll have a major behavior problem that will be hard to fix down the road.

Yeah, it's a lot of work. That's how puppies are, they're literally babies that can't be left unattended for any notable length of time. Not to mention that the worst part is you can't level grind them or change their class either, super lame! But you reap what you sow; in this case making that extra effort now will result in a healthier, happier, cleaner, and more obedient dog. I hope I helped and if you ever have any other questions or concerns don't be afraid to ask! Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How often can I bathe my dog?   How often can I bathe my dog? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.  You have a roughly 10 week old pup who's spending most of its time in a crate for somewhat understandable reasons.

However, what she's learning from this is that it's okay to "go" in her crate when a major effort should be going in to house training her.  

I'm kinda confused about the reason the vet gave for not giving her her shots.  If she's in good health then a vaccination shouldn't be any big deal.  If she's not healthy then you've got a lot more problems than we can tackle here.  Your reason for not letting her out (other than the fact that's she's "loose") is you're afraid to have an unvaccinated dog around your kids.  Assuming that her mother had all her shots, your pup should have residual immunity until it's 3 - 4 months old (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

What you don't volunteer and I'm going to have to ask:
Since the previous owner (breeder?) hadn't gotten her her shots you seem to make me think that either she's not as healthy as you think she should be or you think that an unvaccinated pupy is unhealthy just because she hasn't been vaccinated.  Can you give us an idea of her health?
You have kids around who apparently would like to play but (see above).  If the kids are old enough to play with her, then I'd think that they are also old enough to take part in caring for her and part of that care is "walky time".

Is it normal for a pup to defecate that much in that short a period.  I'd be inclkined to say no, but anxiety is often the cause of diarrhea and moving from one home with which she's familiar to one where she not either familiar or comfortable is a great anxiety inducer.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often can I bathe my dog?   How often can I bathe my dog? Empty

Back to top Go down

How often can I bathe my dog?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1