It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Greetings!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
showjumperachel
Newborn
Newborn
showjumperachel

Male Join date : 2015-06-23

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi All!

I live in northern California and own an almost 4 year old husky mix. I've had him for about 6 months now. I had two family dogs growing up, but this is my first time owning a dog on my own. I also own a horse, and I have come to the conclusion that owning a husky takes much more responsibility and commitment than owning a horse! Shocked

To make a VERY long story short I came to this form to hopefully get some much needed help and advice with training him and separation anxiety issues. He is an awesome, loyal and very loving dog but loses his mind when left alone. But I guess I will be posting for help with that in another topic area.

So without further adieu, meet Brady! Yes, we're from California and huge Patriot fans Very Happy. Also if anybody has any guesses as to what he is mixed with, I'd love to hear them. The shelter didn't know, but I'm thinking he might have some German Shepard mixed in there.

Greetings! Mebrad11
Greetings! Brady210
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Welcome!

Looks full husky to me. All white huskies very commonly get called Shepherd mixes. The only thing I see that could indicate he is mixed is his size. He looks quite big in the first photo, but it could be deceptive.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Looks full on Siberian to me! And he's as photogenic as you are! Lovely picture of the two of you, young lady!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. You've got some pretty normal questions and there is lots of advice to be had for dealing with all of it. I miss having a horse and, yes, the husky is way harder to take care of. lol.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Looks full husky to me too, he's beautiful!!!! Welcome to the forum! Smile
Back to top Go down
showjumperachel
Newborn
Newborn
showjumperachel

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks everyone! He is on the larger side .... about 65ish lbs, I believe. One of the reasons I thought he was a shepard mix was due to the lack of a dense undercoat that almost all huskies I've known (which granted, isn't very many!) has had. His fur reminds me more of German Shepard fur. The woman at the shelter said he is "DEFINITELY" not pure husky, but who knows how much she knew either -- after all, they adopted him out to me without even contacting my landlord or asking if I had any previous dog (nevermind husky) experience. Guess they really wanted to find him a home Razz! And at the end of the day it doesn't matter anyways, as I love him (mostly) unconditionally regardless!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Welcome, if you felt like you you could always do a DNA test on him.
top, side and front views may help us better to see if he is mixed with anything, and if he has blown his coat he will have lost his double coat and will be working on building a new one right now.
food will also determine the feel of the fur, coarse fur means you may want to look into a better brand.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 3:12 pm

hi, and welcome to the forums, very hansom fellow.
he looks very much looks like a full husky to me with shorter fur for the summer weather. Leo to had very fluffy winter coat, now his fur is as short as Brady's. now Leo looks like he deflated Laughing .

Last edited by RedFlashFire05 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
showjumperachel
Newborn
Newborn
showjumperachel

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 4:21 pm

Between a horse, a dog and being a recent college grad there's not much room left in the bank account for a DNA test. Although if I had a dollar for every time I got a deflate joke, I'd probably have enough for several DNA tests Razz (to be fair I did LOL when I read that).

Out of all the pictures I have of him (which may or not be several hundred ... Shocked ), I don't really have very many of his top/side. This is the best I could find. He was a war dog for Easter Very Happy

Greetings! Bradyt10

Greetings! Bradyt11

Thanks again for all the welcomes Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 pm

He STILL looks full husky to me. DNA test, if I understand correctly is about $65.

What on earth are the mint green tiger stripes Razz
Back to top Go down
showjumperachel
Newborn
Newborn
showjumperachel

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 6:31 pm

It's actually Easter egg blue Wink. It's what happens when "adults" drink wine and dye Easter eggs. Very Happy Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 8:56 pm

His beach pic convinces me even more he's full Husky.

LOVE the avatar pic! Smile I brought my Kohdi out to my fathers house to meet my horse...he was...fascinated, LOL. It was like "wow, that is one big ass dog! "Haha, every time my horse moved, Kohdi was as fascinated as he could possibly be. I havnt brought Mishka out there yet...I think with her personality though, she will walk right up to him, she's scared of nothing, haha. Anyways, BEAUTIFUL horse!!!
Back to top Go down
showjumperachel
Newborn
Newborn
showjumperachel

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 2:44 am

Thank you Artic wind Smile.

It took Brady several visits to be comfortable with Blazer. He sure doesn't like when I give him attention though, especially if im riding him! I had a jump lesson the other day and brought Brady. Normally I can leave him at the top barn, but another dog up there had been attacked by a husky in the past and was severely aggressive. To ease the tension, I took him down to the Arena with me and he would NOT shut up! Normally he is pretty quiet - If anything he cries, not barks. But man he was just a mess! Barking and howling and screaming, even when a friend of mine was sitting with him. It was highly embarrassing, to say the least as he is not normally that naughty! i don't bring him to the barn anymore unless I know it's later in the evening and it's likely to just be the three of us. (Me, Brady and Blazer)

It's always fun to introduce your fur babies to your other fur babies of a different species Smile. If You introduce your other pup, Mishka, to your big "dog" (aka horse!), I'd love to hear how it went and see pictures if you have any Wink
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 3:30 am

You are very welcome Smile

I do have one pic in Kohdi's scrapbook of him when he first saw my horse, it's just him though and my horse isn't in it, and there's a reason for it, lol, Kohdi would NOT get close to him. The pic has the text " Kohdi seeing a horse for the first time" and he's pretty alert looking in it, haha, but anyways, between the horse corral and where we were standing is a creek, there's a small bridge going across the creek to where the horse corral is. Anytime I started towards the bridge, Kohdi would put himself in reverse, hahaha, like a very serious reverse! Paws digging into the ground and everything. my horse kept stomping and shaking his head for me to go over there and that just scared/fascinated Kohdi even more, haha, funny thing is I could barely drag Kohdi away from watching my horse Smile with Mishka it would be a lot easier cuz I can pick her up and carry her over there! I'd have to get someone to take a pic though if I had to do that, but I actually think she'd be pretty cool with it. But yeah, I'll let you know how it goes and of course I'll have pics, I take tons of those, haha. I actually wanted to bring her there on Father's Day last weekend because I'd also like to have my dads wife measure Mishka for me (she's good with that kind of thing) but her and my father have been in and out of the hospital recently so I wanted to be as low key as possible...but soon I will!!!

I can totally visualize the scene in the arena you describe with Brady. I think if it were Kohdi or Mishka they'd be running into the arena (they don't do the "stay" command very well) and it'd be a bigger mess than what you had, lol, so count yourself as fortunate! Wink

Back to top Go down
Blu'sMom
Newborn
Newborn
Blu'sMom

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 3:32 pm

I feel like I have just seen Blu's twin brother in the pics of your Husky. Mine is 6 months old and weighs 55 Lbs. (See Picture Attached)
Greetings! Blu_6_12
Back to top Go down
showjumperachel
Newborn
Newborn
showjumperachel

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Wow, they really do look identical!!! I know I have a picture of Brady sitting on the couch almost exactly like that, I'll have to put them side by side to compare.

Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I don't know much about Brady's history but they really do look like they could be brothers!
Back to top Go down
Blu'sMom
Newborn
Newborn
Blu'sMom

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 6:59 am

I live in Southwest Florida and know that our breeder here has sent his Huskies all over the country. Did you get yours from a breeder or somewhere else?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Greetings! Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-