It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! Empty
PostSubject: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Last fall when Ami's winter coat came in, he had a nice rich red in his guard hairs - so much that people were surprised at the pictures and his color and that he was darker in the winter.

Well, now that it is summer, he is once again more of a pale apricot than a rich red Sad I am assuming it is bleaching from the sun. Is there anything, short of keeping him inside 24/7, that I can do to help retain his color? He naturally gravitates to shade most of the time but it is not enough.

Not that my "butterscotch sundae" isn't as loveable - I just really liked his rich red color.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Amy,
welcome to my world with Sierra, she got a bath yesterday and i can already see her darker red stripes fading and she hardly spends any time in the sun. i think it may also have to do with the cycle of shedding as well so not sure there is anyway to stop it.
Jack stays a dark copper all year long, so i think it is just the version of reds we have

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 3:02 pm

jbealer wrote:
Amy,
welcome to my world with Sierra, she got a bath yesterday and i can already see her darker red stripes fading and she hardly spends any time in the sun.  i think it may also have to do with the cycle of shedding as well so not sure there is anyway to stop it.
Jack stays a dark copper all year long, so i think it is just the version of reds we have

Sigh...will cultivate a desire for apricot.

I wonder if, with Ami at least, when he blows coat, there is just so much undercoat near the surface. Actually, no, It really is a bleaching - I can't see ANY of the dark red that was there last fall.

Thanks for the reply, Jenn.

Oh - thinking of you yesterday. Found Ami snacking on my sugar snap pea plants. No peas yet, just the greens. Looks like my solution may become the problem How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! 1625187496
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 4:23 pm

Kenzi lightens a little in summer but not much. She was more of an orange color when we got her and food and inside time darkened her to what she is now. I don't leave her out for hardly any periods of time in the afternoon or evening when the sun is hottest and she gets most of her workouts early morning on the shady side of the house and after or very close to dark. She also get fish oil and vitamin E. Not sure if supplements could possibly play any role in helping to fortify his coats ability to hold color or not.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 6:21 pm

i think Leo has the same issue with his coat too, he is very dark in the winter and now hes all over the place with is color  Laughing some area are a nice apricot spots some look more dark brown and some light. I'm not sure what color hes going to end up maybe spotted Laughing  with all three. I'll try to get a side picture of him of the multicoloring Smile .
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Very Happy  it took a while to get the weird multi-coloring picks of Leo very hard to photograph endless hes lying down tongue .he has some brown ranging from dark to light and then fading into white toward the legs. with Orangie areas here and there.

How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! Leo_ye28

How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! Leo_ye31

How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! Leo_ye30
not sure what color hes going to end up. his coat seams a bit confiued  Laughing . he looks a bit strange but i love him any way. lol!
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Female Join date : 2015-10-06

PostSubject: Re: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 11:35 am

I am so worried about this!! Pasha is already a lot lighter than he was when I got him, but I assumed that was just him changing with age. I love the color he is now, (when he is clean Evil or Very Mad ), and I just don't want him to fade out super light. =/ I haven't had him long enough to be able to tell if he will change much in the winter versus summer, but I don't want him to change that much!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!   How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun! Empty

Back to top Go down

How to Keep Reds from Bleaching Out in Sun!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1