It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue Empty
PostSubject: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:41 pm

I adopted a Siberian Husky cross from a local rescue and there has been some disagreement between the vet and the rescue about the age of the dog. The vet reckons the puppy is now 10 weeks old but the rescue thinks she is 12 weeks old. Not that it matter too very much but I'm curious to get the thoughts of people familiar with the breed type. She is roughly 17 pounds if that helps at all.

I'd love to hear what people think the cross might be as well! The guesses so far have been sheltie, shepherd (presumably German but they didn't specify), timber wolf (lol), and something that looks like a fox (nice, hahaha).

Here she is! These were all taken within a 24 hour period. She is from the Northwest Territories. My guess is about 2/3 Siberian and 1/3 mutt, lol.

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 11659265_10155741342495557_8802968722347903936_n

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 11403291_10155751942355557_3477021129152561985_n

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 988584_10155751942245557_1555182758037992753_n

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 11703148_10155749789260557_4115142357898501136_n
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:55 pm

I would be more apt to say 12 weeks personally but you can never be sure!

This was Yuki at 10 weeks:
Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 8vt92e

This was Yuki at 12 weeks:
Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 2w65ox1
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:59 pm

From what *I* see, she looks mostly Sibe and I'm not guessing what the mix would be if any. She just looks like a typical Husky puppy, though her colouring is a bit unusual - but that's not a disqualifier, Sibes can be any colour or combination. As for age, I'd be inclined to go with the rescue at 12+ weeks.
But as you say, since I presume this girl is a pet - does it really matter. She looks like she could be a charmer either way! Had to laugh at her setting in the water ... she seems to like playing in the wet stuff.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:03 pm

She definitely looks closer to Yuki at 12 weeks. It's amazing the amount of maturation that happens over such a short time period!

It'll be interesting to see what happens to her colour as she ages. I've been told there can be a huge amount of change over the first 6 months? A friend was saying that all her Sibes lost the colour under the eyes as they aged.

Qinu is a water dog for sure! She puts her paws in her water dish to sleep. This was the first time she's been at the river and she flopped into it like she was relieved to be home, hahaha.

Her name (pronounced kee-nuu) means "slushy ice by the sea". Her being from the north and me being from the islands it seemed like a good fit. Now that I know her affinity for water and dirt it fits even better :-)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Considering that about 12 weeks ago you could have held her in the palm of one hand, yep, they do grow up fast!!

Over the first year (not six months!) the changes to her mask (facial markings) and her colour are completely 'up for grabs'. Most will lose some or all of the mask, though as dark as her forehead is, I'd think she'll keep a bit of it.
Since they aren't mature until around two years, their markings can change drastically till then - and it's not unusual for them to change from a dark to light colouring almost at random as they blow their coats even as adults. (You are prepared for that, right?? <laugh!!>)
Thanks for the pronunciation of her name, I asked in the other thread ...

Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Our last dog was a pit/boxer/lab with virtually no shedding, hahaha. The difficulty though was that we love winter sports and the snow would cut up his tummy. So we're going to try and focus on the pros, hahaha
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:40 pm

They can certainly change a lot in the first year! Yuki wasn't too drastic but she basically lost everything around her eyes and went from black to grey.
Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 317i7m9
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Oh wow, that looks like a pretty big change to me! Though the only thing that changed in our last dog was a pink splash disappearing from his nose :-)
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 3:22 pm

She is adorable! Love her coloring! From her profile, she almost has a Great Dane look to her
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Thank you :-)

Great Dane is a new one- she is quite long legged :-)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Oho, the Welsh lady from the Western British Colonies has a name!! Thank you much for that Sophie, that's ever so much easier to type than "the Westcoaster87"

Dane? As in Great Dane?? Nope, no way!! at least not to me!!

Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Hahaha, no worries at all ;-)

Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 8:48 pm

With the ears and the shape of the muzzle I would say husky/German Shepard.

I was trying to add a picture but the picture thing isn't working for me for some reason.
This is a link to my pup's scrapbook yes there markings can change but my guy kept his mask. He is now over 1 1/2 years old so I don't think it's going to go away. However his markings changed a ton.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t12115-simon-scrapbook-born-11-5-2013
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 12:48 am

Well I am not the only one, I have the same problem Elise. I was going to post up a couple of pics of Miya, since we were discussing Qinu's possible second breed. Miya was considerably smaller at 12 weeks, and considerably larger at almost 3 years old. Funny her mask is coming back, lol, not sure how that is even possible. Anyways, Sophie, here is Miya's scrapbook, ignore the title to the thread, since I can not upload pics of her and her boyfriend.....

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t13185-miya-s-scrapbook-updated-photos-zeke-miya-s-boyfriend

With Elise's Simon, and Megan's Yuki, and my Miya, you will be able to see the varying differences of pure huskies and husky/gsd(or at least my conclusion she is husky/gsd).
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks for the scrapbook links! All your dogs are so beautiful :-) I definitely see the similarities between the Sibe/GSD and my Qinu.

In my inquiring into breed cross the rescue has said that from what they were told by law enforcement in the area the dad was a "pure Siberian" and mom could be a Seppala/Shepherd mutt cross. I looked into the Seppala's very briefly just now and from the (one) description I read it doesn't sound unreasonable. Tall, erect ears, longer legs and body, high erect tail that curves over the back, white feet and tail tip, etc. It talks briefly about the high colour variability Al mentioned that can be seen in Sibes.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 pm

I was thinking Siberian and shepherd/lab mix. I know a girl who has a husky black lab mix that is shaped just like her, though different coloring. The one picture you have shows a little length or looseness in her jowels/neck and a little drag in the eyes that gives a lab impression. I think it's these aspects that said Dane to Jimmy.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 pm

here's Leo at 10 weeks for size comparison.  one of the only ones that i have of him at that age   Sad  .
Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue Leo_9_11

i believe he's about 12 weeks in this one, with hes best friend Pearl during puppy preschool.  Cool .
Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue Leo_1212

i to believe that she is 12 weeks. Wink

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue Leo_ye27
there he is at one year and two months today Razz .he looked very leggy at one point, but seams to have grown into them. hes still a bit patchy from shedding Smile hes almost done. not sure if its because his dad has more racing line linage vs his moms mostly show line Suspect ; not sure if that's why his so big. his about 24' at the withers and weights about 80lbs now Shocked .

Last edited by RedFlashFire05 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 3:55 pm

She does have some looseness in her jowls though that third picture exaggerates it somewhat. The more I watch her ears from behind the more I agree there is some GSD in her! They're erect but soft so they move similarly to a GSDs ears. If that makes sense, lol.

Here is a picture of her with my mom's dog. He's a Black Lab cross German Pointer :-)

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue 11720637_10155759925925557_847089459_n

Here is a picture of a Seppala I pulled from the web (law enforcement reckoned mom is Seppala cross Shepherd):
Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue Ruby

AND here is a picture of her ACTUAL MOM!!
Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue ?bust=1434820358&width=632&no_scale_up=1

How exciting is that?! :-D
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 4:00 pm

I can't personally even begin to guess what mom might actually be, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue   Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Breed cross and age- Suggestions? Disagreement between vet and rescue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1