It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Koda is a couch potato...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

Koda is a couch potato... Empty
PostSubject: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 2:24 pm

I read constantly everyone talking about their husky puppies being wild and super hyper and crazy. I'm not experiencing that at all. Koda is kind of lazy.

She will run and play and be hyper if the opportunity presents itself, but otherwise, she is just fine to lay around the house. I will take her for a run probably once every week and we go to petsmart/feeders supply/the park, constantly, but it never involves physical activity. On the Fourth of July I went to a friends house who has an Akita and her friend had a collie so we all let them off leash and they had a BLAST! Koda ran for a while, but after a bit, she would lie down. Should I be worried that she isn't super high energy, like maybe she is sick or something, or is she just a lower energy husky?

I understand that she is only 19 weeks old, so she still quite young, but I would hate for it to be a symptom of a disease, or something she ate that is poisonous.

P.S. I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac, and Koda is my entire world so I'm just a worried dad! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 2:27 pm

shes a puppy, they need a lot of sleep....wait until she's 8 months old and see if you're singing the same tune...I guarantee her energy will pick up.
Some dogs are also just less energetic than others, but I really wouldnt worry about it.

Running isnt not recommended for pups so young. the rule of thumb is 5 minutes walk per month. She should be getting a few 20 minute walks per day. Running is too hard on their developing joints.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Thank you Kelly for the advice!

It's more of a brisk jog due to my incredible laziness... (She is still walking, I'm just a super slow!) However, I will definitely stop the running until she is a little older!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 5:16 pm

Hey Tyler! My boy is 8 months and while he has gotten more playful...he's still very lazy and his daily life consists of mostly sleep. He wakes up at 8am, starts howling to go outside and do his business. Takes a nap after breakfast. He starts shutting down at 9pm. Throughout the day he will climb up on the bed especially if my girlfriend is alone and he will sleep right next to her.
So total sleep time for Mylo so far has consistently been about 15 hours...12 of full sleep and about 3 to 4 hours in scattered naps throughout the day.
Then again Mylo is on the smaller side he might still be growing slowly. He's about to be 9months and is only 30 pounds. But I also ask myself if he will be like this forever or until he hits a certain age haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Leo was the same; he is still very lazy. i guess i got lucky and have a low energy husky. he was about 10 months old when the weather got cooler that he became a bit more active, but the napping in the middle of the day is still about the same about 3 or 4 hours. although he dose get up at 6:30 am and usually goes to bed at 9:30 to 10pm every night. my guess it the weather must be to warm they tend to sleep more.

Last edited by RedFlashFire05 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Here goes typing this for the third time because of my phone... Koda is a couch potato... 1625187496

David, your post just summed up my day to day! In fact, she is sleeping on the couch right beside me as we speak!

She sleeps all night and then is in the crate from 8:30-2:30, and I know she sleeps all day. Not to mention all the naps she has all day! I guess I'm just a nervous nelly. I'm also a tad bit envyouse that I can't get away with sleeping that much...

Ronin, you are too lucky! I'm crossing my fingers she stays low energy forever, but I HIGHLY doubt that's in the cards...

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Ditto with the lazy floor decoration.

Unless we are somewhere totally new, Ami is a very laid back puppy. Especially in hot weather.

Archer? Archer is a different kettle of fish. Mr. Perpetual Motion. The energizer bunny. GO GO GO. All day long. Until he collapses about 10PM. Or it gets super hot!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm waiting for the cold weather to come so we can see the true Mylo. It's been hot down here and that's also probably adding to the lazy-ness..I take him out to do his business and he wants to run straight back in to the house. It's funny cause recently he's getting more playful and now brings his big bone toy or his rope up to me to play..this is new but I love it, it's cute and he's telling me "come on I have some energy lets play" so we play fetch for a good 10 minutes and chase around the dinning table and bed jump runs lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Ami looks so chill in every picture I've seen! He looks like a beautiful, furry ball of chill!

Yeah, I think the heat could be a contributing factor here too, but I imagine its A LOT cooler in Indiana than it is in Houston...

I also think a contributing factor is that our dogs sometimes have a habit of mimicking us, (or so I believe because we are too insanely alike for her not to be...) so she gets the vibes that I'm lazy and is just going along with it...

Either way, I'm far too excited to get her in the snow. The winter can't come soon enough!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 8:46 pm

tyler.jenkins.125 wrote:

I also think a contributing factor is that our dogs sometimes have a habit of mimicking us, (or so I believe because we are too insanely alike for her not to be...) so she gets the vibes that I'm lazy and is just going along with it!

This was my original thought when I first read this, that Koda might just be mimicking you. However, before I got Mishka, Kohdi was like this, I didn't call it lazy though, just chill and laid back, and I'm one that can't sit still so he wasn't following my lead, haha. He's pretty laid back in everything he does though (my friends call him "Hollywood") even still with Mishka here. He doesn't lay around as much with her here but everything from the way he walks to the way he eats is just "I'm in no hurry" Wink so it very well could be that you lucked out in getting a very chill husky! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Koda is a couch potato...   Koda is a couch potato... Empty

Back to top Go down

Koda is a couch potato...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1