It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amismail95
Newborn
Newborn

Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy Empty
PostSubject: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 2:49 am

Hello everyone,

I am getting a husky in two weeks. She'll be 14 weeks old by then, which means there will be two weeks until she has had all her immunizations. I know that I shouldn't take her out for walks until that time. So, how should I exercise her? We don't have a backyard. Should I exercise her inside the house? If yes, how?

Also, do you think 14 weeks is a bit late to socialize the puppy easily?

Thank you,
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 am

Welcome to the forum and how exciting for you!! You can certainly do exercise in house, leash training and starting on commands will tire her out. At her age 15 minute walks would be the max anyways, so doing a little leash training and working on sit and lay down, etc, as well as getting used to the leash and how you walk and talk with her will do wonders. Doing this several times a day, will break up her boredom, get used to training and still get her exercise in will be fine. 14 weeks is not too old, people socializing and finding a "safe" dog can help start the socialization process. Training and socialization is a never ending process, imho.....Good luck and can't wait to see your bundle of joy!!
Back to top Go down
amismail95
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 4:08 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
Welcome to the forum and how exciting for you!! You can certainly do exercise in house, leash training and starting on commands will tire her out. At her age 15 minute walks would be the max anyways, so doing a little leash training and working on sit and lay down, etc, as well as getting used to the leash and how you walk and talk with her will do wonders. Doing this several times a day, will break up her boredom, get used to training and still get her exercise in will be fine. 14 weeks is not too old, people socializing and finding a "safe" dog can help start the socialization process. Training and socialization is a never ending process, imho.....Good luck and can't wait to see your bundle of joy!!

Thank you so much for your help!!

Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 9:34 am

Also remember that the 15 min walking rule does not apply to every dog, some puppies need longer walks and playtimes and that is fine do not feel like you must obey all these time rules. Along with training, start potty training trust me its so important and start crate training if that is something you want for your puppy it helps a lot with potty training! Good luck with your puppy!!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 11:23 am

CoraTheHusky wrote:
Also remember that the 15 min walking rule does not apply to every dog, some puppies need longer walks and playtimes and that is fine do not feel like you must obey all these time rules. Along with training, start potty training trust me its so important and start crate training if that is something you want for your puppy it helps a lot with potty training! Good luck with your puppy!!

The rule, 5 minutes of structure walk per month of age, is meant to prevent excess stress on developing joints and thus preserve joint function well into old age. Play time is fine, steady walks should be limited.
Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 11:44 am

amymeme wrote:

CoraTheHusky wrote:

The rule, 5 minutes of structure walk per month of age, is meant to prevent excess stress on developing joints and thus preserve joint function well into old age.  Play time is fine, steady walks should be limited.

Thank you, I am very aware that over exercise can create stress on developing joints as my family friends arefull of vets the rule does not work for every puppy some dogs need more steady walk time, to the original poster you as the owner should make your own choices and feel out your own puppy!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Cora, I will politely disagree with you on the 5 minute rule. Medium to large sized dogs need the protection of their joints and bones, as Amy said. Most people tend to walk their dogs on pavement or sidewalks and that is very harsh on their developing bones and joints. By all means, many dogs may not have expelled all of their energy after a 15 minute walk, that's when training and playing comes in, since most play time occurs on the grass, which is indeed softer and gives more cushion to their developing bones and joints. I would always err on the side of caution where puppies are concerned, there is nothing more sad than to see an older dog with hip problems, because they were over worked when they were puppies. When Miya was a puppy I followed those rules, it doesn't mean you can only walk your pup 15 minutes a day. I must have walked her 8 or more times a day. It's a rule that needs to be followed per walk, not per day.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 3:22 pm

i too agree with the 5 minute rule, my brother thought i was just being paranoid but i to wanted to make sure his joints were protected until he was ready for more strenuous walks and hiking. so he would suffer later in life from problems that could have been prevented early or at least delayed. Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy 2144500265
Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 4:29 pm

As for socialization, I would suggest a puppy class, a place where puppies the same age can play and a trainer is in there telling you how to watch body language and noises the dogs will make in play! and no its no too late Smile

Last edited by CoraTheHusky on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 4:57 pm

This is apropos of nothing but I find it amusing at times that people who live in urban areas (Houston, NYC, LA, Toronto) make recommendations based on their local.  Those of us who live in more remote locations don't have those niceties available to us.  For example the nearest Petco to me is 300 miles in one direction and 500 in the other.  My preferred vet is an 80 mile drive, my emergency vet is only 25.

Two things really do help us provide an intelligent answer:
Some idea of where you are and
Looking at the location before we provide an answer that may not apply.

I realize that some may not be comfortable providing more than a state or a city / state but nothing comes across more "funny" than suggesting someone in the Balkans drop in at their local Petco .....

ETA: Since there was no advice given in this post, I fond it even odder that someone pegged me with a negative treat ... c'est la vie

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amismail95
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 2:13 am

Thank you all for your help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy   Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Exercising and socializing a 14 weeks old puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1