It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Not respecting kids

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kwdrysdale
Newborn
Newborn
kwdrysdale

Male Join date : 2015-07-29

Not respecting kids Empty
PostSubject: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 12:16 pm

We've had Akira for a few weeks now and she is learning a LOT and listens to my wife and I pretty good. Super happy with that, but I am really wondering how to get her to listen to and respect our younger kids? For us we didn't seem to have to establish any dominance. She was the runt and picked on by her littermates. We got her and she has always listened to us well - outside of the usual over excitement, squirrel moments, etc. Smile Our biggest challenge is her wanting to chew on us. A firm "no bite" usually does the trick for my wife and I, but with our youngest (5 year old boy) she will walk all over him and chew on him until he runs away and hides from her. lol It's only funny because he finally met someone that can out bug him. Any tips in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 12:29 pm

With your kids the best way to get Akira to listen to them is to train her with the kids, so you and your youngest could train her together, He tells her a command like "sit" and once she does it he is the one to hand her the treat, that way she understands that he is "above her" so to speak in the pack, also with the biting I noticed whenever Cora sees a child under maybe 8 years old she gets excited, its because the young children are like young puppies playful ect, tell him to loudly say "ouch" that will help Akira since that is the type of noise she would make if another puppy bite her too hard. Hope that helps! Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 12:33 pm

This may sound foolish and only presents part of a solution but Akira is seeing your son as another puppy with whom to play - I think that much should be obvious.

At your sons age, this is marginal but if you can involve him in some of Akira's simple training - she'll see him as more of a human than as another puppy. If he "helps" with "set", "lay down", etc and he is the one who gives treats for behaving, she'll eventually (a few days, maybe) see him as less of a playmate (hopefully).

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
kwdrysdale
Newborn
Newborn
kwdrysdale

Male Join date : 2015-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 12:37 pm

I realized she was seeing him as a puppy and it probably doesn't help that my son is pretty high energy and he gets her playing from nearly sleeping to full out play in about 30 seconds. lol Will work with him on that, and include him in some of the training sessions with Akira too. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 12:40 pm

I found that with Ami and Archer and a 5 yr old grandson, my most pressing concern was first of all - telling grandson "no running around the dog" and then, when child and dog were in same proximity, I was constantly having dog sit, using an open palm in from of dogs nose with strong "no" whenever dog approached child and time outs if dog was jumping/chewing on child. No tolerance - otherwise, child becomes afraid of dog. Allow no rough play between dog and child for now.
Back to top Go down
joemamma474
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Dogs don't see people as dogs (even little people), they just see potential playmates. A lot of times running away or pushing the dog away is encouraging play, as that is just how dogs like to play. However, it isn't about establishing "dominance" or "respect." It is just about teaching the behaviors you want. As a puppy, the biting behavior will be outgrown, for the most part, but you still want them to learn what is appropriate to chew on instead. Any time the dog starts chewing on your kids, stop the dog and substitute a chew toy. Then you are teaching them how to direct that behavior. Teaching them that they can't bite the kids is one thing, but you'll want to teach them what you DO want them to do instead - i.e. listen to the kids, and chew on toys. If the dog does bite the kids when you are playing, then the play stops immediately. Sometimes it can even be helpful to put the dog in a "time out" in a small bathroom or something, so they are isolated from their playmate and can start to learn that biting immediately stops all pleasant activities. Time-outs only need to be a couple of minutes at most, but the dog can make the connection fairly quickly.
Back to top Go down
Dimka Petlin
Puppy
Puppy
Dimka Petlin

Male Join date : 2015-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 3:53 am

Yeah that's the problem,I faced it also,i have 2 dogs,of of them a puppy 3 months and 2 kids,one of them younger,2 years....so the puppy does attack a 2 year old girl,but puppy wants to play of course,not that dogs want something really bad,but play.
Kids of course gets scared if dog runs and jumps at her.
You just have to go to dog and tell her she bad and stuff

andactually HUSKY ARE THE BEST FRIENDS FOR KIDS..
I will post video to the VIDEO section.....go watch it!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dimka Petlin
Puppy
Puppy
Dimka Petlin

Male Join date : 2015-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 3:53 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not respecting kids   Not respecting kids Empty

Back to top Go down

Not respecting kids

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1